Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Clear Bra vs Vinyl Wrap

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 09:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear Bra vs Vinyl Wrap

Hey guys,

Picked up a 2014 S4 two months ago... deciding whether to get a clear bra or a vinyl wrap. My dilemma is this..

I've always wanted to matte black wrap my first car (which happened to be this S4), but ever since I got the car, I've loved how it locked "stock". Therefore, I'm giving myself a year (until next summer) to decide if I will wrap the car or not. In this case though, I don't want to go a whole year with the car unprotected (especially through the brutal New England winter). So I've been researching about getting a clear bra for the car.

My question is... if I get the clear bra now, and then decide a year from now that I also want it wrapped... does it make sense to even do it? Can you wrap a car that already has a clear bra? Does it make sense financially to do both?

Also... I've read that clear bras work well with certain colors better than others... light colors are better than dark ones (I have the Brilliant Black). Any truth to this?
Old 10-01-2013, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

As someone who has been in the business for over a decade I can tell you that using either one on such a nice car can be an iffy proposition unless you get it right.

For starters, clear bras are not all the same and I have seen certain manufacturers products (they rhyme with tree femme)yellow over time. I have only seen this though on lighter cars. We offer two types of film: very thick film at 12mil and thin, Rshield film at 4mil. For true protection you want the thicker stuff and Xpel is a good brand to use as well. I wouldn't recommend the think stuff unless you just want to protect from UV rays.

The wrap is an even riskier proposition and is a definite no-no if you already have protection film installed. Let me know if you have anymore questions and I'd be happy to help.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Rvinyl.com
As someone who has been in the business for over a decade I can tell you that using either one on such a nice car can be an iffy proposition unless you get it right.

For starters, clear bras are not all the same and I have seen certain manufacturers products (they rhyme with tree femme)yellow over time. I have only seen this though on lighter cars. We offer two types of film: very thick film at 12mil and thin, Rshield film at 4mil. For true protection you want the thicker stuff and Xpel is a good brand to use as well. I wouldn't recommend the think stuff unless you just want to protect from UV rays.

The wrap is an even riskier proposition and is a definite no-no if you already have protection film installed. Let me know if you have anymore questions and I'd be happy to help.
Thanks for the reply. I've decided to go with a local trusted shop for an XPEL clear bra. I evaluated all the options and it looks to be the best for me
Old 02-25-2014, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by ptran127
Thanks for the reply. I've decided to go with a local trusted shop for an XPEL clear bra. I evaluated all the options and it looks to be the best for me

ptran, how is the clear bra on the brilliant black? I am having similar dilemma and was curious what your experience has been and if you're happy with it after a few months? I just brought home my Brilliant Black S4 and I think I need the bra but worried about the lines.

Thanks!
Steve