Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2012 Audi Backup Camera announcement

Old 08-09-2011, 11:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bbetter
Ashaudie, did you ordered the 2012 model back to March or earlier?
I actually ordered it in May! I didn't contact Audi of America until we all started discussing it on here a few weeks ago.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks. do you remember your order date was before May 11th or after the tsunami?

Originally Posted by ashaudi12
I actually ordered it in May! I didn't contact Audi of America until we all started discussing it on here a few weeks ago.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks. do you remember your order date was before May 11th or after the tsunami?
It was definitely after the tsunami on May 9th. I had been told about the possibility of not having the camera by another Audi dealer.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the info. Then every 2012 owner who bought the MMI package should be honored the complimentary Audi Care option.

It was definitely after the tsunami on May 9th. I had been told about the possibility of not having the camera by another Audi dealer.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

I just went through the Audi website and used the boxes to fill in. It took roughly 2 weeks to be contacted. I will say one thing, the people behind customer service are very kind!
I actually spoke with Ashaudi's AoA rep Melissa who was indeed very kind. She told me I'd be contacted by a woman named Heather in a day or two. Today I heard from Heather and she was NOT very kind at all.

She was short and abrassive, was condescending and made me feel like I was asking for something for nothing...I was shocked! I told her I didn't appreciate the tone of her voice and she acted like she couldn't care less. She said she would get back to me on Monday but not to expect Audi to do anything. She also said AoA did not give Ashaudi free Audi Care, that the dealer must have made that decision. I told her I thought she was mistaken and she implied I was the one who was wrong, not her.

I must say this whole experience has soured me on Audi. Between the out of date maps and the backup camera issue, I'm regretting giving them my business. If I didn't place a factory order and if the dealership wasn't holding my $1000.00 deposit I would cancel. Oh and by the way, my salesman at the last minute added on over $400 worth of fees (advertising and dealer prep) that I have him in an email saying I would not be charged. He now says it is included in every invoice in the NY tri-state area and take it or leave it.

I'm so sick of this whole process. I have no car, waited four months to get this one and feel like I'm being screwed at the last minute. I already hate Audi and I don't even have the car, supposed to pick it up this Saturday. Usually I'd be very excited, now I just want to punch someone in the face. This sucks.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tridentnyc
I actually spoke with Ashaudi's AoA rep Melissa who was indeed very kind. She told me I'd be contacted by a woman named Heather in a day or two. Today I heard from Heather and she was NOT very kind at all.

She was short and abrassive, was condescending and made me feel like I was asking for something for nothing...I was shocked! I told her I didn't appreciate the tone of her voice and she acted like she couldn't care less. She said she would get back to me on Monday but not to expect Audi to do anything. She also said AoA did not give Ashaudi free Audi Care, that the dealer must have made that decision. I told her I thought she was mistaken and she implied I was the one who was wrong, not her.

I must say this whole experience has soured me on Audi. Between the out of date maps and the backup camera issue, I'm regretting giving them my business. If I didn't place a factory order and if the dealership wasn't holding my $1000.00 deposit I would cancel. Oh and by the way, my salesman at the last minute added on over $400 worth of fees (advertising and dealer prep) that I have him in an email saying I would not be charged. He now says it is included in every invoice in the NY tri-state area and take it or leave it.

I'm so sick of this whole process. I have no car, waited four months to get this one and feel like I'm being screwed at the last minute. I already hate Audi and I don't even have the car, supposed to pick it up this Saturday. Usually I'd be very excited, now I just want to punch someone in the face. This sucks.
Sounds like your dealership is working you over. Isn't your deposit refundable? I didn't think they could legally keep your money if you don't purchase the car. I know my dealer told me we could back out at any time -- even if we didn't like something as trivial as the color combination. If you decide you still want the car, you need to absolutely refuse to pay the additional charges. Even Audi wouldn't condone the BS fees. That's pretty gutsy of the dealership considering Audi surveys every customer on the purchase process
Old 08-11-2011, 09:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow!! Such strong words and emotions - "soured; regret; sick; screwed; hate; punch; sucks"

IMHO, if I am harboring all of the above about any product and/or its mfg/supplier, I'd not hesistate to cancel my order. And btw, that deposit IS indeed refundable. Go for it! Don't get me wrong tridentnyc, I might have felt likewise if I were treated by both Audi and the dealer the way you described. Take it easy buddy - do whatever makes you feel better. Good luck.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi, would you mind to confirm again this is true? which dealership you went to? My someone said this was an internet rumor.

obviously, someone else also was turned down and not happy at all.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

She was short and abrassive, was condescending and made me feel like I was asking for something for nothing...I was shocked!
But you are asking for something for nothing. It's not like Audi, or anyone else for that matter, wished for large parts of Japan to be decimated by a natural disaster. Audi had two choices when confronted with the chip shortage, stop offering the camera option, or to do the adult thing and say the chip would be installed as soon as it was available. With the whining and nickel and diming to death of Audi, next time something like this happens, they just might say, "to hell with it, those Americans won't be happy with the adult response, so we'll just not offer the option at all." Our greed and litigiousness just might be why we get stripped down cars, it's easier, and safer for them.

Perhaps everyone who is up in arms about this would be better off contacting Japan and its government saying, "Your inability to instantaneously repair yourself after such a broad sweeping natural disaster is F'ing me over, I'd like to be compensated!" After reading some of these posts I feel ashamed to be an American.

Last edited by UrbanExtant; 08-13-2011 at 09:39 AM.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi, would you mind to confirm again this is true? which dealership you went to? My someone said this was an internet rumor.

obviously, someone else also was turned down and not happy at all.
This is not an internet rumor. When you order the Q5 your dealer should tell you that it will come installed with a back-up camera but will not function until the chip arrives. I have already received my 2012 Q5 and it does have the camera on it, but when you put it in R, parking sensors are in use. (see attached pics). I know Cabo also posted pictures previously of his 2011 Q5 with the same issue. I hope this confirms any suspicions.

Also- Trident, in all honesty I don't know if AoA was the one to make the decision about the audi care or my dealership's sales manager. All they told me was that they had received and email from AoA and I was getting Audi care. It may very well be dealership dependent on that decision. I was questioned on the navigation issue, also told that this was an internet rumor about not being updated (by AOA). However, my sales rep told me that the Q5 does need an update.

in reference to pics below:
The first picture shows the camera attached to the back hatch.
The second picture displays what the system does in R.
Attached Images   

Last edited by ashaudi12; 08-13-2011 at 09:57 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2012 Audi Backup Camera announcement