A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need urgent help: Key stuck in ignition and battery dead!

Old 03-29-2009, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need urgent help: Key stuck in ignition and battery dead!

On a friends car the battery just died. Didn't realize this, so I put the key in the ignition and now it seems to have locked in the ignition. So with a dead battery and a stuck key I can't open the trunk.

How can I either open the trunk or get the key out of the ignition or jump the car?

BTW: There is no spare key...

Thanks so much!

Mike
Old 03-29-2009, 09:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default A helping hand

I just had this problem in my car in fact. Here is what you need to do.

I used a car starter handheld pack, found a nice ground in the pass side fuse box, and used the pos end, clamped on a phillips head screwdriver and pushed it into the 12v cigarette outlet. it blew my 12v fuse, but i got the key out. this will require some skill if you are doing this alone because you will have to push in the screwdriver and pull the key out at the same time. I know this method is dirty, but it worked for me.

Last edited by BigBenny; 03-29-2009 at 09:24 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default One more thing.

Once the key is out it should be able to unlock the trunk manually. BTW, manual door locks are under the driver's door handle. I remember the 12v fuses are 20A. I'm away from home right now so I can't be sure.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:57 PM

Thanks for the info. I'm affraid of doing this because of the voltage spike. What I did do was wire a battery charger to a lighter adapter. This charger can have the amperage set. So I had it on 2AMPs. The current draw seemed higher though. I did this for about ten minutes...the brake lights and interior lights started working...but that was it. The wire for the lighter adapter started getting hot, so I stopped.

What I'll try tomorrow is to hook up a solar panel charger and see if that can put some juice in to the system. Will update then.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts
Default You can always

remove the bottom cover below the engine and connect a nice battery charger or jump box to the big red wire on the alternator. Ground to the alternator case or engine block etc.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
Default There's an emergency key release

Look in the circle around the key - there is a small button that will release the key. Then there is a manual trunk keyhole on the underside of the top lip of the license plate opening.

Larry
Old 03-30-2009, 12:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Right use button on ignation to release key.

Happen to me to.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default The CORREC T way to do it...

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
remove the bottom cover below the engine and connect a nice battery charger or jump box to the big red wire on the alternator. Ground to the alternator case or engine block etc.

NEVER EVER try and start / power up the car by removing the bottom engine cover and clamp onto the red alternator wire.

The only correct and safe way to connect power to the A8 is via the battery +VE and the -VE charging Post in the trunk. This make sure the power it routed via the battery management controller.

The key is simply removed my pressing the little recessed button on the outer ring of the ignition barrel. This needs to be pressed with a very small screwdriver / tooth pick etc etc. When this is pressed, the key can be rotated and removed.

The trunk can now be opened from underneath the boot lip.

Now connect a jumper pack / battery charger to the +VE (red) of the BATTERY, and the -VE to the Large Metal charging post stuck out horizontally from the Battery Management Module.

This is the Correct way to perform this, and will ensure the car is projected from power spikes and surges.

The A8 is a little venerable to spikes and one of the first things to get wiped out is the ABS unit, so beware!
Old 03-31-2009, 10:41 PM

I tried the pinhole in the cylinder...but it would not budge. So I couldn't get the key out that way.

Here is what I did:

1. Remove ski pass through between rear seats
2. Use a broom to reach the handle in the trunk and release it

Once I hooked up a charger, the ignition lock released and I got the key out.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by dalep
NEVER EVER try and start / power up the car by removing the bottom engine cover and clamp onto the red alternator wire.

The only correct and safe way to connect power to the A8 is via the battery +VE and the -VE charging Post in the trunk. This make sure the power it routed via the battery management controller.

The key is simply removed my pressing the little recessed button on the outer ring of the ignition barrel. This needs to be pressed with a very small screwdriver / tooth pick etc etc. When this is pressed, the key can be rotated and removed.

The trunk can now be opened from underneath the boot lip.

Now connect a jumper pack / battery charger to the +VE (red) of the BATTERY, and the -VE to the Large Metal charging post stuck out horizontally from the Battery Management Module.

This is the Correct way to perform this, and will ensure the car is projected from power spikes and surges.

The A8 is a little venerable to spikes and one of the first things to get wiped out is the ABS unit, so beware!
I agree that the best way is to connect to the battery posts. However, in absence of the broom handle trick, it's better to connect 12 volts to the alternator output wire which ends up providing charging current to the battery. This is safer than trying to charge through the cigarette lighter wiring or even the buss bars on the back of the fuse panels.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need urgent help: Key stuck in ignition and battery dead!