RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Titanium (black) trim

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 06:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Titanium (black) trim

I'd always wished my Daytona Gray coupe had the titanium package (nearly got through a deal for one), so I finally pulled the trigger on the replacement pieces. A big job!! Midway through I have these observations:

The front grille can only be replaced by removing the front bumper cover. If you've ever done a cam belt job on one of our cars, that's a bit of work but fairly straightforward, then exchange the grilles by removing a handful of screws.

The drip rail parts are two pieces with the brushed aluminum, one piece with the black trim. Remove a center strip of plastic, then drill out a bunch of pop rivets and it comes off easily. You also have to remove the center pillar outside trim: one cover, four bolts.

Outside window door weatherstrips are held by six clips for the aluminum, and simply tapped onto the pinch weld for the black. The door interior panels have to be removed so you can remove the window frame in order to get to the clips. Silver lining: looks like that will make reinstallation of the exterior mirrors much simpler.

The mirrors are, well, difficult. Several good threads give insight into separating the mirror from the door base, and I'll add that I used a 2 foot wooden dowel, flattened somewhat on the business end, and that made prying them apart much simpler. I expect I'll be using a clamp to push them back together.

The D pillar windows can be cut out with a wire and the new ones mounted with fast set windshield urethane. (Yes, the windows are different with the black trim).

Well, that's where I am right now. More to follow!
Old 02-12-2014, 04:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow - sounds like a lot of work!
Old 02-12-2014, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Datadatum
Wow - sounds like a lot of work!
And pictures to follow I hope