Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Torque Converter question??

Old 11-19-2009, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mik63
Anybody has a good recommendation for an allroad torque converter replacement in Colorado (Fort Collins, Boulder) ?
If you also have some prices from your own experience...
Last thing: is it better to replace the whole transmission with a remanufactured one with 5 years warranty? (I have seen a few out there for $2600)
According to my local indie he says when the TC fails it breaks, meaning bits of it go thru the tranny, that's why they replace the whole thing.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have any updates? Learned anything more about your trans?

I have an 04 1.8T auto trans with an APR chip. When I accelerate more than about half throttle, I get heavy slippage in all gears, especially 2nd 3rd and 4th. It causes the whole car to judder, occassionally throwing a flashing CEL for about 10-20 seconds, then it goes away. So it sounded to me like similar symptoms. I am BROKE, so if you've learned anything new, I'd love to be educated before throwing money at the dealership.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to throw out another possibility. I had this exact same symptom and from what I've been able to determine, it was NOT the transmission, but rather the coils.

I was convinced that my transmission was slipping under accelleration.

I recently got all six replaced and this "slipping" problem immediately went away.

I have the torque converter failure code, but I also had intermittent misfires in three cylinders. Have you checked your fault codes?
Old 03-29-2010, 05:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by samm
Yes, if you clear a code it remains in the computer (readiness) until you go through enough cycles without the fault, then the computer clears it. Otherwise everybody would clear the codes then roll up for their inspection. I can't tell you how to correct this problem without a new TC.
I have had the code for about 3years already. The code came around 60,000miles. I now have 105,000miles. My car still runs smooth like new. I do have a burning smell also. I've change both cover valve and cam shaft seal. My latest diagnosed says The turbos are leaking.

In the case of The Torque Converter, the mechanics tested the car and they say that they would not touch anything until I start getting shifting gear symptoms ect....
In the case of the Turbo, They say let them fail and then replace them.

In both cases, these are very expansive fix. So I rather let them fail altogether. Nice car but Audi Screw us without vaseline on this one.

I know some may not agree, but I spent too much on this car. I need a break before I fix anything new.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default 2003

Originally Posted by emmick6
My 02 Allroad needs a Torque Converter. I have a Vag-Com and talking to a local mechanic he pretty much told me that it is time for a new one after I told him the codes. The problem comes in that the economy took my job and I do not have the money to pay for it at the moment. Is this something that I can prolong and still have a transmission or should I get is fixed soon?
There is a 2003 2.5 for sale near me , needs Tc , its going cheap , is it worth the hassle.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

RUN! Do NOT walk away from an Audi with a TC problem.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by allroaddave
According to my local indie he says when the TC fails it breaks, meaning bits of it go thru the tranny, that's why they replace the whole thing.
I think that is true of transmissions which don't have a filter. The transmission in our Allroad does have a filter so I think this is not true for us.