Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

S5 vs RS5

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 05:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S5 vs RS5

I would like to pose a question to all S5 and RS5 owners the like. I currently own a B8 S4 but when I purchased it I did not realize how much my wife wanted an S5 (she currently drives an '11 Q7 SLine TFSI). I like the S5 but we test drove the RS5 last week and really loved the growl of the V8. For me, the only place where the RS lacks is in the torque department but it will still move really well, especially once it gets moving. The speed/acceleration addiction is mine and not the wife's. I know that the RS5 is a limited production vehicle but depending the time of purchase I have no issue getting a CPO'd RS if it is optioned to our liking.

So getting to my question to both parties, even though you own each vehicle respectively which would you prefer if they were both available and difference in price was not a factor?

Price is not that far off between the two which I could justify.

Thanks in advance,

Dave
Old 04-06-2014, 10:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hi Dave,

I would suggest taking a look at getting an S5 with a Stasis ECU upgrade. This way you still have the 50k warranty and it makes a really big difference for the torque.

The RS5 is a great car - I have an S5 cab myself and drove the RS5 as well. They wouldn't do my preferred color combo (even with audi exclusive) on the RS5 so I went with the S5 again and very happy with it.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DavidRS4
Hi Dave,

I would suggest taking a look at getting an S5 with a Stasis ECU upgrade. This way you still have the 50k warranty and it makes a really big difference for the torque.

The RS5 is a great car - I have an S5 cab myself and drove the RS5 as well. They wouldn't do my preferred color combo (even with audi exclusive) on the RS5 so I went with the S5 again and very happy with it.
The Warranty from stasis is just on paper. when you are dealing with issue engine or transny problem then
headache starting . Audi and Stasis will play the ball.

Good luck.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nearly two years ago there was a huge price difference between the two. The S5 was already out since '08 and RS5 was new to the States. The S5 could be had for near invoice, whereas the RS could be had for near MSRP. The S5 for me was a no brainer.

This is an interesting video for when your Supercharged V6 S4 or S5 is out of warranty.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

RS5: If difference in price is NOT a factor.
S5: If difference in price IS a factor.

I have the V8 S5 and it is lacking in low end torque. I envy supercharged V6 guys because they can add APR or Stasis tune.
However, I love the sound of my V8, and I have a 944 Turbo for fast driving. Price was a factor for me. If it wasn't I would have an RS5- with the glorius sound and a measure of exclusivity.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Symko
I would like to pose a question to all S5 and RS5 owners the like. I currently own a B8 S4 but when I purchased it I did not realize how much my wife wanted an S5 (she currently drives an '11 Q7 SLine TFSI). I like the S5 but we test drove the RS5 last week and really loved the growl of the V8. For me, the only place where the RS lacks is in the torque department but it will still move really well, especially once it gets moving. The speed/acceleration addiction is mine and not the wife's. I know that the RS5 is a limited production vehicle but depending the time of purchase I have no issue getting a CPO'd RS if it is optioned to our liking.

So getting to my question to both parties, even though you own each vehicle respectively which would you prefer if they were both available and difference in price was not a factor?

Thanks in advance,

Dave
2014 RS 5 Cabrio Owner and why I would go for the RS 5

1. 4.2 V8 | Possibly the last year for it as rumors have it moving to a 6.
2. RS 5 Sport Exhaust or the V8 with after market exhaust (Capristo favorite)
3. The car just keeps going faster and the low end torque is enough for me. (Life above 3000 RPMS is Fricken so fun!) Under 3000 and driving in Manual/Dynamic mode is still crazy fun.
4. For those who know... RS 5 is a special car and rare. Less depreciation...

Why not? ( i had to think hard...and didn't do that well)
1. women don't know what you have. It might as well be an A5. Unless you have the cabrio... then they like it anyhow. Guys howevr will eye f@$K you car....
2. Two Words Gas Mileage.

Can you tell I'm biased.?
Old 04-07-2014, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hippyshakes- unrelated but I have almost the exact same car on order, but with black optic package!
1. U happy with the panther black?
2. I've debated on driver assis t package and right now don't have it in my order since I don't use cruise control hardly ever as it is. How useful do you find this? I can still change order .
Old 04-07-2014, 07:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the great responses, we will see what happens. Ultimately it will be up to the wife to what she would like and since I already have the S4 I would prefer someone different but if the S5 will make her happy then that will be that. Not sure if we will be able to even pick up a new RS5 depending on when we are ready to purchase but I do know what I would like. CPO with low miles would not deter me at all.

Thanks again to everyone
Old 04-07-2014, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Andrewaw
Hippyshakes- unrelated but I have almost the exact same car on order, but with black optic package!
1. U happy with the panther black?
2. I've debated on driver assis t package and right now don't have it in my order since I don't use cruise control hardly ever as it is. How useful do you find this? I can still change order .
Andrew -

You will love your car. I still look for reasons to go drive.

1. Its the most amazing black paint I've had. It's really stunning in the light and the only downside is the same with all black - dust. So be prepared to wash it/wax it and be careful to wash at a quality place to avoid clear coat swirls. (But thats for any color!)
2. I do a spring/summer long drive to our place in Seaside, FL and the Cruise Control is sooo worth it. The other really key item is the dynamic steering. This says it best "An optional dynamic steering system works through Drive Select and uses a superposition gear to vary the steering ratio by nearly 100 percent as a function of speed. The system also countersteers slightly at the cornering limit." I could tell the dif without it.!

Hope that helps.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Symko

Thanks in advance,

Dave
I went through the same decision process back in Dec. I was torn between the RS5 and getting an S5 then tuning it. I finally decided on the S5 route as the RS5 didn't come in manual and for the price difference, you can do a ton of modding to an S5. To the average joe on the street, they're the same car so it takes away from the exclusivity.

Quick Reply: S5 vs RS5