Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

2013 a6 versus s6

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 09:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2013 a6 versus s6

I am trying to decide between an a6 and s6 to order. If I price both out with the max options, they are about $20k difference. That seems like a lot!

Differences
4.2L vs. 3.0L, 420hp. Vs. 310hp, ok... I got it. 0-60 is not much different (using mfgr numbers).
Both have air suspension
S6 with painted calipers and slotted discs...uh huh. Cool.
Super sport seat versus S line seat...a wash
4.2L has 4 cylinder mode for better fuel efficiency on highway, but not better than 3.0L
Different badges.... Ok

Do I spend $20k more for a slightly improved performing s6 that gets worse gas mileage all the time? I have the money, but don't want to throw it away. I think there is a marketing problem here. Am I missing something? I don't understand how the s6 makes sense for $20k extra?

I have a 2012 Q7 3.0L and 2009 Porsche Carrera S as my other two cars.

Thanks,
Ed
Old 07-26-2012, 12:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well you seem to be talking down to the S6, you didn't go away impressed. Then get an A6, it's got a bloody fast 3.0 engine and I'm very impressed. If anything get the RS6...
Old 07-26-2012, 02:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What country are you in? In the US the A6 does not have air suspension. The brakes are the S6 are more than just painted, they're 6 piston brakes as opposed to the 2 piston in the A6. The S6 also gets a 7 speed dual clutch transmission as opposed to the 8 speed standard auto in the A6.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by day1yun
What country are you in? In the US the A6 does not have air suspension. The brakes are the S6 are more than just painted, they're 6 piston brakes as opposed to the 2 piston in the A6. The S6 also gets a 7 speed dual clutch transmission as opposed to the 8 speed standard auto in the A6.
I live in Texas. I thought the A6 can be ordered with the air suspension. I thought it's called " sport suspension." You can change the ride via a control **** (I think). It sounds like I am mistaken. I wasn't aware of the transmission difference. I also wasn't aware of the hardware difference in the brakes. Hmmmmm.

Major differences. Cost difference (total guess)
Engine. $8k
Air suspension $3k
Transmission. $5k
Brakes. $4k
---------------------------------
Total. $20k

Ok. I think I get it now. Now, I'm not sure once again.... Ugh...
Old 07-26-2012, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 178 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by edporsche
I live in Texas. I thought the A6 can be ordered with the air suspension. I thought it's called " sport suspension." You can change the ride via a control **** (I think). It sounds like I am mistaken. I wasn't aware of the transmission difference. I also wasn't aware of the hardware difference in the brakes. Hmmmmm.

Major differences. Cost difference (total guess)
Engine. $8k
Air suspension $3k
Transmission. $5k
Brakes. $4k
---------------------------------
Total. $20k

Ok. I think I get it now. Now, I'm not sure once again.... Ugh...
The S6 Wheels and Seats would likely add another $3k
Old 07-26-2012, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

If you are not impressed by the S6 then you don't need to buy it as they make it for performance enthusiast. well or people with enough money not to care about what they are buying. but for the regular consumer who don't love to hear the V8 rumble or the extra traction by the rear sport diff they shouldn't waste their money on things they don't like so my 0.02 is if you don't feel that toward the car don't buy it and after all you have the carrera S to play with
Old 07-26-2012, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by shaikhasm
If you are not impressed by the S6 then you don't need to buy it as they make it for performance enthusiast. well or people with enough money not to care about what they are buying. but for the regular consumer who don't love to hear the V8 rumble or the extra traction by the rear sport diff they shouldn't waste their money on things they don't like so my 0.02 is if you don't feel that toward the car don't buy it and after all you have the carrera S to play with
Thank you for your comments. I'm not bashing the a6 or s6. I'm really looking for people's opinions. I may have missed something. I'm seriously considering the s6. I read another article today, and here is a quote:

However, since the S6 isn't all that rewarding to drive, we can't help thinking you'd be better off saving a fortune in purchase prices and running costs by choosing a well-specced V6 diesel version instead. You'll get the same superb-quality cabin and still enjoy impressive real-world performance.

This is the UK version of the s6
http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/2012...updated/262314
Old 07-26-2012, 06:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

A6 is worth every penny.

S6 is also worth every penny. It just depends on how deep your pocket is...
Old 07-26-2012, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

In the US, the diesel version is not currently available, so that's out.

Did you also read the article on C&D where the 2013 Audi S6 edged out the 2013 BMW M5 and 2012 MB E63 AMG for a more affordable price?

My recommendation is to wait for the 2013 S6 to start showing up and do a side by side comparison at the dealership and test drive them. Do your research and see what options are important to you.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The $20K buys a lot of differences, some of which may or may not be important to you. Some differences are available on the A6 as options, but come standard on the S.

4.0L biturbo V8
19" wheels with 255/40 summer tires
S6 front and rear bumpers
Alu-optic exterior mirrors
Valcona leather seats with diamond stitching
Color driver info screen
Bose sound system
4-zone climate control
Sports diff
Adaptive air suspension
12 way seats vs 8 way
3-spoke S6 steering wheel
Auto-dimming exterior mirror
Reverse camera
Ambient lighting plus w/LED
Electric steering column w/memory
Advanced key
DSG transmission

Available on the S6 but not the A6:
22-way comfort seats with massage and ventillation, passenger memory seat
S6-specific wheels
S6-specific colors

Last edited by RobC; 07-26-2012 at 11:15 AM.

Quick Reply: 2013 a6 versus s6