A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

No longer perfect - key'd at the airport

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 07:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No longer perfect - key'd at the airport

Scott, there are plenty of mean-spirited people out there. That hasn't changed.

I strongly recommend doing fotos of the damage so you can show the next owner that it was minor scratches that were repaired and not something more serious. It'll probably show up on carfax.

Last edited by uberwgn; 03-08-2014 at 08:58 AM.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

SOB's is all they are. A lot of times I do believe it's the mentality of why can you have a nice car and I can't, so here's what I think of your Audi! I've had a couple of times where people gave me their negative "opinion" about my nice S5 because they were driving a cheaper car....water under the bridge for me because 99% of opinions towards my Audi S5 was positive...not that I asked for them or cared for them anyway.
Were there any cameras in the parking lot that has visibility of your car? If so, you might want to see if you can get the feed but you need to be quick because some of those feeds recycle every 30 day.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott_F

I strongly recommend doing fotos of the damage so you can show the next owner that it was minor scratches that were repaired and not something more serious. It'll probably show up on carfax.
That really sucks, man. Which air port was this?

Most people are mentally ill, and they don't know about it....
Old 03-08-2014, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

So sorry to hear about your car. It made me sick and then angry just reading the thread title.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 96 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott_F

Uber, looks like you edited Scott's post instead of replying.
Easy to do with admin privileges if you're not careful.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Scott,

My car got keyed as well at the train station about 2 months after i got it. Turns out, its just not my car but whoever did it, keyed a Range Rover and a Mercedes and prolly more cars.

I know how you feel man, it sucks. I took it to a bunch of detailers, body shops etc. For me repainting is the only option (3 doors and the right rear fender)

Got over worrying about the resale value, now i worry about if i repaint will it show the repaint vs the rest of the original paint. Mine is a Glacier White.

The Audi dealer swears by this one body shop that they take their cars to, so im going to get it done there sooner or later.

Vish
Old 03-24-2014, 05:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the messages guys. Looks like my original post got whacked, but wanted to give you a quick update.

I took the car to the body shop and they tried to polish out as best they could but the scratches were through the clear coat and color as well. I went back and forth as to whether I wanted to just leave it, or repaint that side of the car.

Finally decided to take the plunge 2 weeks ago and have them do it. This body shop does a lot of work for the local Mercedes and BMW dealers, so I was pretty comfortable that they knew how to do it "right". Picked the car up on Thursday of last week and it looks fantastic, as in literally can't tell - and trust me I'm looking.

Actual job was right around $2K and the dealer helped me out a bit with my deductible. Unlike other types of claims, a vandalism claim like this has no effect on your rate going forward. So my advice if you're on the fence: find a paint/bodyshop you trust and do it. Your car is too new, too beautiful to have those scratches stick around and be a constant reminder of what stupid people do. I wish I never had to waste the time, money and brain cells doing any of this, but I'm happy my car looks like new again.

Cheers,

Scott
Old 03-25-2014, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

A few months back the rear door and rear quarter panel on the driver's side of my car were sideswiped when the car was parked on the street. I was concerned that having it repainted would be reflected in its resale value, but there was really no option for me. I just could not stand to see that damage every time. I guess the lesson for me was to get it back into shape so I could enjoy this wonderful car today - that's more important and satisfying to me than its resale value. I'm happy with my choice, but not so happy with the douche who did that damage.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MichaelChicago
A few months back the rear door and rear quarter panel on the driver's side of my car were sideswiped when the car was parked on the street. I was concerned that having it repainted would be reflected in its resale value, but there was really no option for me. I just could not stand to see that damage every time. I guess the lesson for me was to get it back into shape so I could enjoy this wonderful car today - that's more important and satisfying to me than its resale value. I'm happy with my choice, but not so happy with the douche who did that damage.

about 6 weeks ago while in a hospital parking garage, some one got too close to lower portion of right passenger door (where the door bulges out just above rocker panel). When I saw the X-pel torn, was afraid to carefully examine the door. there was a nice linear jagged tear. Brought the car back to Auto Supershield in Boca Raton and Pepe just pulled off the X-pel and redid the right passenger door. Prior to application, door was cleaned well and there was about a 1cm crease just above the outermost bulge (a Dent Dr. minor issue). Fortunately the paint was not damaged at all. Even if it had been, as I just had my position eliminated at work, figured I'd at least protect the door and once back on my feet would get the door repaired and have door redone with X-pel Ultimate. Total body wrap was about 5900 (including 3M gloss black for roof) and in my opinion, well worth it given constant exposure to cement dust (they're doing the 40yr bldg. repairs so condos will pass the 40yr inspection. At least don't have to worry about paint damage.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hey Michael,

Where did you get it done? I need to get my car repainted as well. I got my car at Continetal Audi of Naperville ans I was directed to Birkholz Dejong Body Werks in Naperville. Apparently they do all the body work for this dealer.
Vish

Originally Posted by MichaelChicago

Quick Reply: No longer perfect - key'd at the airport