A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

19 inch Tire Reccomendation

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 19 inch Tire Reccomendation

Hey Everyone, new to the forum and new to Audi as of this past December! Picked a great year in Chicago to see what Quattro is all about, and I haven't looked back on my switch at all (traded in my 06 GS430 RWD after 7.5 yrs!)

I am running stock Goodyear Eagle LS2 255/40/R19's that have about 20k on them all around. I ran into a nasty pothole on Lake Shore Drive and have a nice small boob-like bubble on my front right tire.

I didn't want to have to start thinking about tires this early in the treadlife, but now I am forced to as I don't want to replace only one tire. The Goodyear's are ok in the snow, but then again, I am not sure if that is just the Quattro. I haven't really had a chance to try them on dry pavement to see about cornering/handling etc.

The plan for now is to run one tire year round (which is why I didn't go for the 20 inch sport pckg). Wondering if anyone has tried the Pirelli P7 Cinturato on their A7 as an all season tire?

They are cheaper than the Goodyear, and better rated on tire rack surveys. Any other opinions are welcome, thanks for your help!
Old 02-23-2014, 03:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I started out with the Goodyear LS2s (19") until I picked up a nail in the sidewall (also on Lake Shore Drive). I had around 20K miles on the tires so went ahead and replaced both fronts with Pirelli P6s. I would have gone with the LS2s again, but they were out of stock everywhere.

I cannot speak to the P7s, but I'm not happy with the P6s. More road noise, some vibration and at low speed turning they groan. However, in snow they seem to do quite well, but like you said not sure if its the tires or the Quattro.

To do it again I would get Michelin or Continentals.

Been a rough year for snow in Chicago (and everyone else), but with Quattro is been a non-event.

Now if only Chicago could fix the potholes that are swallowing cars daily...
Old 02-24-2014, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have 19" Conti Pro Contact on my 2014 A7 Sport, but switch to 18" Michelin Xi3 Ice for the winter.

For all season tire recommendations, you can go to TireRack.com, put in your tire size and select only "All Season Passenger Tires". For my A7, it came up with a list of 11 available tires in "Ultra High Performance All Season" (6) and "Grand Touring All-Season" (5)

As a GENERAL rule (don't get excited anyone...), the Grand Touring tires will have a quieter and softer ride with longer treadlife - but *may* not have a very open/aggressive tread pattern for snow. All the specs are there for you to make your decision. The Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus looks like a very good price/performance choice.

Good luck!
Old 02-24-2014, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

I would never pay for LS2's. Got them as OEM on my last BMW and my wife's Infiniti and took them off as fast as I could. Although they are generally quiet and smooth, they hydroplaned and had mediocre dry performance.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by chicagoA6
I started out with the Goodyear LS2s (19") until I picked up a nail in the sidewall (also on Lake Shore Drive). I had around 20K miles on the tires so went ahead and replaced both fronts with Pirelli P6s. I would have gone with the LS2s again, but they were out of stock everywhere.

I cannot speak to the P7s, but I'm not happy with the P6s. More road noise, some vibration and at low speed turning they groan. However, in snow they seem to do quite well, but like you said not sure if its the tires or the Quattro.

To do it again I would get Michelin or Continentals.

Been a rough year for snow in Chicago (and everyone else), but with Quattro is been a non-event.

Now if only Chicago could fix the potholes that are swallowing cars daily...
Im running into the same issues with hunting down a new Goodyear LS2 Tire...I went to my Mechanic today and he said there was just too much tread left on my other three to replace all four, or even two at this time. He suggested just replacing the damaged one, which I'm a bit uneasy about.

The main thing that bugs me is the horrible reviews and ratings that the LS2 gets from hundreds of people on Tire Rack...makes me weary of dropping $300 on a new tire if I am going to hate the other three anyways....might as well swap em all. So far, the best I found gets me a new LS2 in just over 2 weeks. With the rate they are filling potholes, I might as well order 2 new ones if I stick with these anyways!
Thanks for the input
Old 02-24-2014, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Phoenix1
I have 19" Conti Pro Contact on my 2014 A7 Sport, but switch to 18" Michelin Xi3 Ice for the winter.

For all season tire recommendations, you can go to TireRack.com, put in your tire size and select only "All Season Passenger Tires". For my A7, it came up with a list of 11 available tires in "Ultra High Performance All Season" (6) and "Grand Touring All-Season" (5)

As a GENERAL rule (don't get excited anyone...), the Grand Touring tires will have a quieter and softer ride with longer treadlife - but *may* not have a very open/aggressive tread pattern for snow. All the specs are there for you to make your decision. The Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus looks like a very good price/performance choice.

Good luck!
Thanks for the advice, I guess ideally I would like to get two pair of tires as well, mostly because at first I wasn't all that fond of the rims that came on my car, but they've grown on me.

It sounds like you've had more dry road experience with the LS2 and you aren't that impressed. I will say that we have had some dry roads lately (very few) and I haven't been overly impressed with the handling of these tires. I think now that the snow has melted, so has my awe of driving with Quattro and its likely due to the tires.

I read something that the 13 & 14 A7's were being offered with the P7's as the All Season tire so I will probably end up going that route...its either $300 for one LS2 or $1000 for a new set of P7s. Decisions decisions!

I wish continental made an extreme contact DWS for my size tire...they were great on my Lexus during summer, and made it not so much a deathtrap in the winter.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 02-24-2014, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by A7Lani
Hey Everyone, new to the forum and new to Audi as of this past December! Picked a great year in Chicago to see what Quattro is all about, and I haven't looked back on my switch at all (traded in my 06 GS430 RWD after 7.5 yrs!)

I am running stock Goodyear Eagle LS2 255/40/R19's that have about 20k on them all around. I ran into a nasty pothole on Lake Shore Drive and have a nice small boob-like bubble on my front right tire.

I didn't want to have to start thinking about tires this early in the treadlife, but now I am forced to as I don't want to replace only one tire. The Goodyear's are ok in the snow, but then again, I am not sure if that is just the Quattro. I haven't really had a chance to try them on dry pavement to see about cornering/handling etc.

The plan for now is to run one tire year round (which is why I didn't go for the 20 inch sport pckg). Wondering if anyone has tried the Pirelli P7 Cinturato on their A7 as an all season tire?

They are cheaper than the Goodyear, and better rated on tire rack surveys. Any other opinions are welcome, thanks for your help!
I have the factory Goodyear LS2s on my 2012 A7. Had to replace two of them after hitting a big pothole last year. Can't blame the tires for that

All in all I am rather happy with them, I use them all year around and they are quiet, handle well even in snow so no complaints from me. 35,000 miles and still going strong.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All season tires require a compromise. Go With the ContiProContact if you lean towards comfort and winter traction - or the Pilot Sport A/S if you lean towards handling.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

So I wanted to update you guys that replied to this thread....after multiple failed attempts to get a new LS2 tire, I did just replace all four tires with the Pirelli P7 Cinturato All Season Plus tires (the AO p7's were H speed rated, and had 50k treadlife, the Plus were V rated and 70k rated for a small premium).

Ive had them on for only a couple of days and haven't really done any highway driving yet so its too early to say how good or bad they are, but so far, so good.

They do look a bit meatier on the tire and I had to double check all the tires to make sure they put the right size on there,(discouttire once replaced one of my DWS with a thicker tire and it was rubbing on my wheel well until I noticed!) which they did. I guess that's because its a new tire and has plenty of tread, but we will see how they hold up! I will re-post after a couple thousand miles.
Thanks
Old 03-27-2014, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by A7Lani
So I wanted to update you guys that replied to this thread....after multiple failed attempts to get a new LS2 tire, I did just replace all four tires with the Pirelli P7 Cinturato All Season Plus tires (the AO p7's were H speed rated, and had 50k treadlife, the Plus were V rated and 70k rated for a small premium).

Ive had them on for only a couple of days and haven't really done any highway driving yet so its too early to say how good or bad they are, but so far, so good.

They do look a bit meatier on the tire and I had to double check all the tires to make sure they put the right size on there,(discouttire once replaced one of my DWS with a thicker tire and it was rubbing on my wheel well until I noticed!) which they did. I guess that's because its a new tire and has plenty of tread, but we will see how they hold up! I will re-post after a couple thousand miles.
Thanks
How do you like 'em so far A7Lani? Interested in your comparison re noise, wet grip and handling compared to the Goodyear LS2s?

Quick Reply: 19 inch Tire Reccomendation