Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Is there anybody who has successfully programmed the MMI Homelink to a Genie opener?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there anybody who has successfully programmed the MMI Homelink to a Genie opener?

The MMI instructions were followed to the letter, more than once, nothing. I've applied some previous Homelink knowledge, nothing.

My plain-Jane Homelink in a Honda programmed to this same opener in less than a minute. The board was replaced in it a couple months back, and I reprogrammed three openers in less than five minutes.

This is something where I'm thinking Audi fixed a problem that didn't exist.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BobT(nolonger)A6
The MMI instructions were followed to the letter, more than once, nothing. I've applied some previous Homelink knowledge, nothing.

My plain-Jane Homelink in a Honda programmed to this same opener in less than a minute. The board was replaced in it a couple months back, and I reprogrammed three openers in less than five minutes.

Is it a rolling code opener? Did you push the button on the opener motor before programming? Did you repeat the process (rolling code openers generally need two programming cycles to learn the pattern)? My newer opener took a while to program, but I eventually got it.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Don't have a Genie opener but it also took me a bit longer than usual to program the garage door opener. I thought I followed the video on the MMI to the letter but it would not program. I actually went to the homelink website and downloaded their instructions for the Audi A6 and followed those. The main difference was that the video shows them pressing and releasing the buttons fairly quickly but the instructions from homelink said to hold it down for 2 seconds. I followed that and it was programmed so it wouldn't guess to try again holding down the buttons longer.

Originally Posted by BobT(nolonger)A6

Old 02-18-2014, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
Is it a rolling code opener? Did you push the button on the opener motor before programming? Did you repeat the process (rolling code openers generally need two programming cycles to learn the pattern)? My newer opener took a while to program, but I eventually got it.
Yes, if it is a rolling code opener, it is a bit more tricky and takes a few cycles to complete, but I have programmed my A6 plus my previous vehicle in this fashion. Just make sure you follow the detail steps for rolling code openers (which you may need to get off the Homelink or Genie website)