A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

noise from auto gear box

Old 02-04-2014, 02:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noise from auto gear box

have a high pitch noise like a squeaky belt or bully but it sound like its coming from the gearbox area.
can someone help
Old 02-04-2014, 05:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

just bought new filter and seal and will change the oil.
I pray that fixes it.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by nickid
just bought new filter and seal and will change the oil.
I pray that fixes it.
Sounds like you're doing the right thing by preforming a transmission service.

http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articl...eshooting.html
Old 02-04-2014, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

have a high pitch noise like a squeaky belt or bully but it sound like its coming from the gearbox area.
can someone help
2 Questions:

How many miles on the car?

Have you checked the ATF level?
Old 02-04-2014, 08:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

90k miles. how do I check the level
Old 02-04-2014, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

90k miles. how do I check the level
Not easy in these cars...no dipstick.

Car has to be dead level, stone cold at first, then engine running and reaching a very specific ATF temp...fill to overflow, then cap it BEFORE shutting off engine.

Look at the latter part of the fluid/filter change procedure here (or in Bentley manual) >>

http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articl...servicing.html
Old 02-07-2014, 11:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just waiting on the filter gasket and oil arriving, so fingers crossed it fixes the problem.
If the gear box is knackered what are my options ? new box? refurb box? have it rebuilt?
Also, is there a better box from another model that can be fitted
Old 02-07-2014, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

The cheapest rebuild I've found is 3100 EUR + 2 year warranty. Refurbished box from ZF is 5124 EUR. I don't think there is any new box. If an 8HP90 could be fitted probably the car is fail-proof for life. However, the use of a transaxle in Audis makes it difficult for apparently reasons. Now, if we could venture to do an RWD conversion, I guess it is possible (may need new rear differential to handle the torque)?

After all, the good old FR layout is the most durable and flexible layout. In the weather I'm in (haven't been below 0C this winter; 10C every afternoon), it wasn't a smart move to get my D2 (though it rides very well). The engine bay is much tighter compared to RWD (harder to work on), two more axles with fragile CV joints (I suppose they would survive longer on the rear wheels simply because the front ones are bent all the time), worse fuel economy, bad weight distribution (doesn't inspire confidence on high speed bends because of the noticeable dip, especially in a right bend (LHD); leads to excess front suspension wear (think carrying the weight, turning, driving, and braking)). These drawbacks, however, made the car very cheap to purchase (so I could buy it), and despite these issues the drive is fantastic. In most situations it is quite enjoyable and inspires confidence (which is possibly part of the reason I blew my ZF in less than 7k since I got the car; could've been earlier if not for the 6000+ speed cameras everywhere).

I'm hoping Aston Martin gets bought by MB before I get rich. But on second thought, it's better than I get rich now and stop worrying about maintenance.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just don't have the money to get another box, so I am praying its going to be ok.
my car is mint and don't want to get rid of it.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by dreamhope
two more axles with fragile CV joints (I suppose they would survive longer on the rear wheels simply because the front ones are bent all the time), worse fuel economy, bad weight distribution (doesn't inspire confidence on high speed bends because of the noticeable dip, especially in a right bend (LHD); leads to excess front suspension wear (think carrying the weight, turning, driving, and braking)). These drawbacks, however, made the car very cheap to purchase (so I could buy it), and despite these issues the drive is fantastic.
Not sure what car you're driving dreamhope, but it doesn't sound like a D2!
Sure, it doesn't have sports car type handling, and it's a little nose heavy (but only a little).
However, for it's size, it's handling is exceptional.
I've owned and driven plenty of large cars, most wallow and give big bending moment oversteer which just unsettles them.
By comparison, the D2 is taught, composed and responsive - mainly due to its light weight and relatively short wheelbase. It will understeer if pushed, but you have to push hard!
...Could be spoiled by the stiffer suspension of my S8 though

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: noise from auto gear box