Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Odd electrical issue

Old 09-24-2013, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd electrical issue

Hi everyone! I'm new here and I haven't gotten to post in the "New members" forum yet. I'm Nick and I recently purchased an 02 Allroad. Really like the vehicle and it might not just be the "winter beater" that I was expecting it to be.

Anyway, I've done quite a bit of searching and I can't quite find anything with my exact problem. The sunroof, interior lights (in the roof), power mirrors, the autodim rearview mirror, and memory seats (both sides) don't work. The power windows, door locks, interior footwell lamps, and basically everything else works. There are no blown fuses in the vehicle either. Everything I have read points to the comfort control module under the drivers seat. But when its that from what I've read the windows and locks don't work.

I'm a bit stumped here. I really like this car and would love to get this stuff working. Any ideas are appreciated!!

Thanks!!
Nick
Old 09-24-2013, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I forgot, the visor mirrors do not light up either.

Thanks!
Old 09-24-2013, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could have a short in the sun visor, though that would likely blow your fuse.

Best option? Scan the car for codes. Scan the convenience module. You need a windows laptop and use VCDS software from Ross-Tech. It's $250/$350, but they have a free version too. It's limited but you can extract codes with it. Buy a cheap USB to OBD-II cable on eBay.

Or go to a shop that can scan it for you. Must be a VW/Audi shop, as generic scanners will not read this data.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Well, I fixed the mirrors, they were unplugged.

There is a local independent shop that has a scan tool that can get into it. I'll see if they can scan it for me.

I'll post back with what I find out.

Thanks!
Old 09-26-2013, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the exact same problem, and it did turn out to be the visor mirror light switch wires in the right side visor., right where they pass into the roof they were pinched from a previous repair done to fix clogged sunroof drain tubes. However, I did have a blow fuse, #14 IIRC.

If you do a search my thread on it might come up that shows what happened.

Here is that thread....https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2831187

Last edited by allroaddave; 09-26-2013 at 11:34 AM.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Agree on the sun visor wires. I had similar symptoms sever times. Started when the engine and all electrical systems were powered up with the key out. Loosened screw holding driver's hinge and everything shut down. Reappeared a year later with the lights and radio on all the time.

Finally pulled headliner down just enough to reposition the wiring harness. Give it look.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Agree on the sun visor wires. I had similar symptoms several times. Started when the engine and all electrical systems were powered up with the key out. Loosened screw holding driver's hinge and everything shut down. Reappeared a year later with the lights and radio on all the time.

Finally pulled headliner down just enough to reposition the wiring harness. Give it look.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the ideas everyone. I'm going to do some reading and sometime this week or weekend I'll do some tearing apart. I'll post back with what I find.

Thanks!
Old 10-02-2013, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Okay, so yesterday I pulled down some of the headliner in the front and found some interesting wiring with the visors. First off, someone pulled the wires out of the base of the visors so there are no wires connected on either side. I found some interesting wire connectors that weren't connected to anything and I found this really odd "thing" just hanging there. I figured out why the sunroof didn't work. The motor was unplugged from the main harness. I plugged it in and it opened but it didn't seem to move properly. It ended up getting stuck open and I had to manually close it. I ordered a different switch and motor for it.

I was able to get a scan tool on the car today and got quite an interesting list of codes out of it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Central Locking
ECU Coding: 15885

01366 - Opened Via crash signal
01374 - Alarm via terminal 15
01370 - Alarm via interior scanning
01570 - Switch-off delay Term sporadic: Short circuit to earth (.15)
01560 - Passenger door does not unlock
01561 - Door rear left does not unlock
01562 - Door rear right does not unlock

Self Leveling Suspension
ECU Coding: 25500
Serve Station Code: 09999

------
00776 - Self leveling sender (FL-G78) electrical fault in current circuit
01771 - Control Module for Vertical Headlight Aim Control System (J431) Interrogate Fault Memory
01772 - Level Control Pressure Sensor (G291) Sporadic: Implausible signal
01400 - Self Leveling Suspension Sporadic: Resultating Limit Not Reached
01577 - Switch off Due to Excessive Temperature Sporadic

-----------
Headlight Range Control
ECU Coding: 00030

00776 - Self Leveling Sender (FL-G78) Open Short Circuit to Earth
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as I can tell, the vehicle has never been wrecked. The RF door has a small issue with it's locking. When you lock it and then unlock it, you have to slightly tap the door on the outside right above the handle for it to open again. If you unlock it, the little locking nub will pop-up, but the door will not open until you tap it. It will not open from the inside even pulling the interior handle twice. It's also the only door that when you open it, the footwell lamps do not turn on. It acts as if the door isn't open.

I have yet to hear the alarm go off on the vehicle. The rest of the doors also open as I would assume they should. I'm assuming I have some wiring issues or some door latch switches that are toast?

I believe that the air ride compressor is going bad on the car. It sounds horrible, but it does still raise the car (to an extent). I'm used to Lincoln's air ride system and this one is a bit different. I'm assuming that if the bags were bad on the vehicle, that the car would go down over night. I've let the car set for more than two days and it's hasn't gone down any. I had the car up on the rack where I work at putting new tires on it and looked at all the bags, they didn't appear dry-rotted and I saw no cracks. They looked to be in good shape.

I don't know much about the height sensors, so any input is greatly appreciated. I did some searching on the forums but I got a bit more confused.

The first picture shows the "thing" connected and where it was. (driver's side A-Pillar) I have no clue what this thing is or does.

The second picture is a closeup of the thing.

The third picture shows a wiring connector that had nothing plugged into it. Any ideas on what it's for?

The fourth one shows a connector in the roof console that had nothing plugged into it and I have no idea what it's for.

The fifth picture shows another angle of the previous connector.

Any more input is greatly appreciated! Thanks & have a great evening!
Attached Images