Poor Purchase Experience at Rector Audi

Old 06-25-2013, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poor Purchase Experience at Rector Audi

This is a review of a poor experience trying to purchase a car through Rector's Internet department. I did not deal with anyone other than their Internet Director, Mark Hanson. Other salesmen there may be better.

I emailed Mark at Rector on Fri 6/14 to order a 2014 A7. He was very responsive throughout the day until he sent out the purchase order and deposit forms later that day. I filled out the forms and returned them to Mark towards the end of the day and asked him to send me a full price quote when it's available. I get no response from Mark. Throughout the following week, I sent Mark two emails on separate days with change requests. I did not get a response for either. I called Mark's office last Fri (6/21) morning to figure out what's going on. He tells me he forgot about my order and says he somehow missed my follow up emails during the week. I asked him when he'll actually be able to put the order in. He tells me he'll get to it tomorrow morning. Why not the same day? How long does it take to punch in a car order? Whatever, another day doesn't bother me much so I said ok and moved on. Tomorrow passes, Sunday passes, Monday passes. Still no response.

I decided to walk, there's plenty of competition elsewhere. So unless you're willing to regularly pester Rector to make sure you request doesn't fall through the cracks, I'd recommend you find a different place to buy an Audi.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default Bought my last two Audis there; somewhat agreed...Carlsen much worse, SJ much better

My recent experience with them trying to buy on normal Audi European Delivery program was a disappointment, despite careful advance planning and heads' up I had given them. I got a bunch on hemming and hawing basically that really didn't add up. There seemed to me more to it that I wasn't hearing, leaving me the sense there was some issue as between Audi USA and Rector. I wanted to do it via Rector, given I like the smaller independently owned feel, that their service dep't has been solid on my Audis, and that Euro delivery is actually supposed to take a lot of the haggling out of things. Read on though for the competitive environment...

But, it got worse, much worse at Carlsen (Palo Alto); actually the nearest one to me of the bunch. In my opinion, the sales manager misrepresented Audi policies on European delivery pricing and allocations to try to shake me down for more profit. Having seen the Audi USA policy literally on the salesman's own PC screen the day before from the internal Audi network, I was floored the guy would be this bold. Amazing lack of integrity in my estimation; they must have too many locals with money falling out of their pockets where stuff like this can just slide by and not get flagged. I flat walked and told them to return my deposit.

Then a breath of fresh air. Starting from web inquiry, I went to the Internet Manager at Stevens Creek (SJ). No baloney, no amateur hour sales tactics, no hemming and hawing or "need to talk to my manager" sort of baloney. Very straightforward to order and price the car exactly to my expectations, and from a very knowledgable Audi owner and customer.

As a brief footnote, I pinged the name that floats around AW at Royal (SF). Couldn't find him on their web site and never heard a thing back to a message I sent him; not a great way to do word of mouth reference sales either...

My net: Rector just didn't seem to have it together for murky reasons; I was very troubled by Carlsen's lack of professionalism at the management level (and will not be returning), and I was very pleasantly surprised at Stevens Creek. Showroom traffic BTW also correlated each time pretty well too: Rector moderate; Carlsen seems like a ghost town much of the time; Stevens Creek much more alive and seemed to have a lot more volume and inventory turns.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 06-26-2013 at 11:45 AM.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I bought my A7 at Concord Audi and had a good experience. None of what you report. They seem to have a good reputation, and appear to be a smaller sized dealer than others I've seen.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by issr
This is a review of a poor experience trying to purchase a car through Rector's Internet department. I did not deal with anyone other than their Internet Director, Mark Hanson. Other salesmen there may be better.

I emailed Mark at Rector on Fri 6/14 to order a 2014 A7. He was very responsive throughout the day until he sent out the purchase order and deposit forms later that day. I filled out the forms and returned them to Mark towards the end of the day and asked him to send me a full price quote when it's available. I get no response from Mark. Throughout the following week, I sent Mark two emails on separate days with change requests. I did not get a response for either. I called Mark's office last Fri (6/21) morning to figure out what's going on. He tells me he forgot about my order and says he somehow missed my follow up emails during the week. I asked him when he'll actually be able to put the order in. He tells me he'll get to it tomorrow morning. Why not the same day? How long does it take to punch in a car order? Whatever, another day doesn't bother me much so I said ok and moved on. Tomorrow passes, Sunday passes, Monday passes. Still no response.

I decided to walk, there's plenty of competition elsewhere. So unless you're willing to regularly pester Rector to make sure you request doesn't fall through the cracks, I'd recommend you find a different place to buy an Audi.
For the most part my experience with Rector was fine. Recently ordered and purchased the new Q5 3.0 TDI. Sales person was extremely nice but somewhat clueless about cars. I didn't really need her to explain the car to me, but weird to have such a novice on the showroom floor.

Jennifer in the finance department was a nightmare. I think she normally handles pre-owns, but she was clueless about how to deal with third party financing and was extremely rude. I almost walked away because of her rudeness. In the end, Alex H came in and made it better, didn't push too hard on selling me anything (other than the extended warranty and audi care) and we closed. I think I got a decent deal out of the car.

Question to this forum, anyone has experience buying the extended warranty from Audi? The quote I got from Rector: Platinum 7yr/70K = $3,192, or 7/100K = $5,888. I plan to keep the car for a long time (I usually keep cars for at least 7-8 years).

Any feedback on the price quite above is appreciated.