A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Subwoofer Upgrade Complete (I'm Lovin' It!)

Old 04-23-2013, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by looking@audi
Tapping the rears works best for full spectrum sound and the ability to control bass. With the LC2i you can also add a sub volume control mounted discretely under the dash. This is very helpful because bass is different depending on source and individual music.
Ya, i have the bass control built into the amp (jl 500/1) not sure I'd need much beyond that or if I'd even notice a difference with the audio control--may have to buy it and give it a test.

tapping the sub has worked surprisingly well--I'd like to see if it made that much of a difference (measurable).
Old 04-24-2013, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jayhawk785
Ya, i have the bass control built into the amp (jl 500/1) not sure I'd need much beyond that or if I'd even notice a difference with the audio control--may have to buy it and give it a test.

tapping the sub has worked surprisingly well--I'd like to see if it made that much of a difference (measurable).
I think you would notice a difference. I talked to 2 different custom audio installers and both highly recommended the LC2i. It also gets 5 star ratings on Crutchfield.

(BTW the JL 500/1 you are using is an excellent amp.)
Old 07-29-2013, 07:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi Looking@audi,

I'm looking to do the same exact installation as yours, btw thanks for the pictures and information, definitely helps. Had a few questions:
Did you consider the CS110LG-TW3 (10 Inch Sub) and XD600/1 combo? I got a quote for both and this one is only about 130 bucks more. Is there a specific reason for you not to do it, sound quality issues etc? If so then I wont do it, though I’m tempted to.

Also, is the sub box screwed down to the bottom? I got a weather tech floor liner, I'm wondering if i need to remove it or i wont be able to remove it to clean it etc.... Are there other locations that you considered setting it up? Maybe hook it up to the rear seat or the right fender?

Thanks again for your help!
Old 07-29-2013, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vishkey
Hi Looking@audi,

I'm looking to do the same exact installation as yours, btw thanks for the pictures and information, definitely helps. Had a few questions:
Did you consider the CS110LG-TW3 (10 Inch Sub) and XD600/1 combo? I got a quote for both and this one is only about 130 bucks more. Is there a specific reason for you not to do it, sound quality issues etc? If so then I wont do it, though I’m tempted to.

Also, is the sub box screwed down to the bottom? I got a weather tech floor liner, I'm wondering if i need to remove it or i wont be able to remove it to clean it etc.... Are there other locations that you considered setting it up? Maybe hook it up to the rear seat or the right fender?

Thanks again for your help!
I did not consider the 10" sub or XD600, however, I am sure it would sound great. I preferred the slightly smaller sub and amp for space reasons.

My sub simply lays on the carpeted floor of the boot and never moves even during spirited driving. I'm not sure if it would slide on the weather tech or not? I chose my sub and location in part because it takes 30 seconds to remove if I need the small amount of space that it occupies.

Good luck with your project - I'm sure you are going to be pleased with the results.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Awesome thanks! I will let you know how it goes, maybe if it moves I'll duck tape it LOL!

Originally Posted by looking@audi
I did not consider the 10" sub or XD600, however, I am sure it would sound great. I preferred the slightly smaller sub and amp for space reasons.

My sub simply lays on the carpeted floor of the boot and never moves even during spirited driving. I'm not sure if it would slide on the weather tech or not? I chose my sub and location in part because it takes 30 seconds to remove if I need the small amount of space that it occupies.

Good luck with your project - I'm sure you are going to be pleased with the results.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Installed last night. Not be a buzzkill, but to be completely honest it is not what I expected. I have yet to get everything fine tuned but my initial impressions are meh.

I tried multiple settings and found the best freq range was around 80-90 with the 12db low pass filter on and the input sensitivy about halfway. The audicontrol acubass & bass are at 75%and I tapped the rears.

Two things I noticed are that when you disconnect the factory sub the speakers are MUCH louder which is a plus. However, the JL doesn't have the same clean thump as the factory sub which I thought was the point of the mod in the first place???

Again I haven't tuned it to its potential so there's still hope but how much I don't know. If anyone else has any ideas I would love to hear them.

OP do you run your factory sub with the JL?
Old 02-06-2014, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

It is my impression that the factory sub is not used with the added subwoofer.

Have heard raves about various versions of the mod.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not sure if it was the break-in period or if my ears have adjusted but it sounds better than it did. Still not as crisp as I would have liked but better so I'm not complaining.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Petrol4blood
What? You claim to be a bass nut? Yet you use a tiny sub and a less than attractive enclosure? I'm confused....

I'm the guy that built the one in Comson's car, I honestly could probably have offered you a much better option for under $400.
I saw this same JL slimline sub box at a local dealer and its bigger brother, a 10 inch They are both small and thin, and aesthetically pleasing. The 8 inch has a port while the 10 inch does not.

The non ported version should sound more crisp and tight.

I will probably still go with the built in sub in the right trunk cubby but am also tempted by this solution. For a leased car, it seems like a no brainer.

Last edited by onthebeam; 03-27-2014 at 07:42 PM.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by r1racer
Installed last night. Not be a buzzkill, but to be completely honest it is not what I expected. I have yet to get everything fine tuned but my initial impressions are meh.

I tried multiple settings and found the best freq range was around 80-90 with the 12db low pass filter on and the input sensitivy about halfway. The audicontrol acubass & bass are at 75%and I tapped the rears.

Two things I noticed are that when you disconnect the factory sub the speakers are MUCH louder which is a plus. However, the JL doesn't have the same clean thump as the factory sub which I thought was the point of the mod in the first place???

Again I haven't tuned it to its potential so there's still hope but how much I don't know. If anyone else has any ideas I would love to hear them.

OP do you run your factory sub with the JL?
r1racer, do you have the non-Bose system? If so could you share what the colors for the rears are?

Thanks