A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Disabling Start-Stop by default?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disabling Start-Stop by default?

Finally it has arrived!!!

Anyhow, is there any way to disable Start-Stop function by default? It seems that I have to disable it after every ignition and the setting is neither stored in the car or key settings. Quite annoying.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

What car did you get that has that function?? Not an A7.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bmcds4
What car did you get that has that function?? Not an A7.
It has the start/stop function on car in other markets but they didn't equip US market cars as such. Someone posted in another thread the order guide for the UK and you would not believe the number of options available we do not get.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yet another feature we missed out on - Arghhh!
Old 04-22-2012, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ah yes - like the seats and the air suspension as well. They can keep that start stop function - I agree with the OP - how do I disable it. I will say that some mileage saving stuff like cylinder deactivation would be OK. I drove my daughters 2012 Odyssey van and it works great. Can't even feel the transition.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 45 Posts

All 2013 A6's and A7's, including the U.S. models, will have the start/stop as standard in all trims. Considering a '13 A6, I'm not enthused about it, especially since there doesn't seem to be a sure fire way to disable it by default. While many who have it now don't mind it, there are reports of others who find it annoying, despite the modest savings in fuel.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

To be frank, it is a bit sad that the luxury automakers (Audi, BMW) can't makes a system that is as seamless as Toyota and Chevy (not to mention others). reading numerous reviews, owners often can't tell other that the fact the tach goes to zero. Considering the role this function will play in fuel economy, one would think cars in this price class would be able to get it right. Cars costing a third as much have seem to be able to do it...
Old 04-22-2012, 09:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Don't mean to sound out of the loop but I am on this one. Am I to assume that the "start-stop" feature cuts power to the engine to save fuel?

If this is the case it seems that everyone is complaining about it only because the transition is not smooth and can be felt every time it activates?
Old 04-22-2012, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rwallen
Don't mean to sound out of the loop but I am on this one. Am I to assume that the "start-stop" feature cuts power to the engine to save fuel?

If this is the case it seems that everyone is complaining about it only because the transition is not smooth and can be felt every time it activates?
It actually turns the engine off when at a stop. It is kind of like what a hybrid does when coming to a stop. It reduces fuel consumption because the engine is off while sitting at a stop light, for example. Some systems are imperceptible while others are a bit more noticeable.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by viggense
It actually turns the engine off when at a stop. It is kind of like what a hybrid does when coming to a stop. It reduces fuel consumption because the engine is off while sitting at a stop light, for example. Some systems are imperceptible while others are a bit more noticeable.
The Prius is fantastic in that you cannot sense the transition. I ordered a 2013 model. I hope they improve this since I do a lot of driving in San Francisco.

Quick Reply: Disabling Start-Stop by default?