Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

What Tire pressure are you running?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 08:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with many others on this thread, i.e. Recommended pressure + 2 = 35 (19 inch wheels). But almost as important is to check the pressure regularly--at least monthly--because as the seasons come and go, temperatures change and then so does tire pressure.

An aside...I just returned from my office a short time ago and have to say, riding in this Q5 is the best car experience I've ever had (2011 with 7,400 miles after 12 months). I've previously owned Acura, BMW, Volvo, and lots more. This car is all I'd hoped for. No issues--great performance. Still smiling with it.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As many, many posts will corroborate, it is very common for dealers to over-inflate tires. I'm not sure why, perhaps they come that way for shipping reasons and the fail to get checked, or maybe they err on the safe side - I just don't know.

As pointed out above, you can't beat what the factory recommends. Maybe some of you people are smarter and know more that the German engineers, I'm not and don't. If you under-inflate, you risk tire failure from overheating, or more likely, wheel damage and a bubbled sidewall from potholes or railroad tracks. Have you priced a replacement wheel and tire for your vehicle? $1000+. Over-inflate, and your car will ride like a bulldozer and the tires may also wear unevenly. I keep mine at the factory recommendations. You can run whatever you want, just be sure that you've weighed all the factors and risks.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I think I'll try 35 PSI for now. I have no idea how long the tires have been at 38 PSI but it wouldn't surprise me if the dealer had inflated the tires at the 5000 service a few weeks ago.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ELEVENS

SNIP

I keep mine at the factory recommendations. You can run whatever you want, just be sure that you've weighed all the factors and risks.

... and so did many people with Ford Exploders do a few years back and died because of it...

The factory recommendations are a compromise between safety, ride comfort, performance and probably a few others.

I do not know what the ultimate pwer pressure is, but I tend to inflate a bit higher than what the sticker in the door says.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default *****Tire pressure sticker info*****

Originally Posted by dsackman
... and so did many people with Ford Exploders do a few years back and died because of it...

The factory recommendations are a compromise between safety, ride comfort, performance and probably a few others.

I do not know what the ultimate pwer pressure is, but I tend to inflate a bit higher than what the sticker in the door says.

What happened with Ford Explorers and Firestone is EXACTLY why the tire pressure sticker in the door jamb have tire pressures that seem high. It lists for full load capacity, which most people do not run, but since there can only be one set of pressures listed per axle on the sticker mandated by the government, the manufacturer listed the higher pressures for full load based of a safety factor. It would be better to have a tire loaded properly and ride rough, than under-inflated and blow out a tire should the car be full loaded.

For those who actually open their owners manuals and read them, you'll find the half load tire pressures listed in their.

As for dealerships, most techs just use the tire pressures on the door jamb sticker as well. If they go by the half load pressures, some customer's complain they didn't check the air in the tires or under-inflated them based off the door jamb sticker, so they just fill them to the pressures listed on the sticker for full load to stop unnecessary complaints.

The older tire pressure stickers used to list half and full load tire pressures. Audi use to show amount of people and luggage to depict half and full load. The government then mandated a single tire pressure be listed to prevent confusion (guess people can't tell half load from full load info on the stickers)
Old 04-10-2012, 10:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rick480
My experience has been that higher pressures will result in better fuel economy, a rougher ride and up to a point better tire wear. That said I run 32 P.S.I. Don't exceed maximum pressure molded into the tire. The recommendation on the pillar is a compromise for best overall performance, ride comfort, handling, etc and generally should be a lower limit.

By the way I just got 30+ MPG both ways on a 300 mile (ea way)trip with my 3.2. Very little wind, 60-70 degree temp and very lightly loaded. biggest factor was probably that I drove the speed limit 60-65. Sure was nice to get home with a half of tank of gas after filling before starting back. My trip computer was telling me I had a range of 600 miles which was probably optimistic.
30+ MPG..! i think it's unbelievable to get 3.2 over 26 MPG unless you were driving downhill all your trip. )
Old 04-11-2012, 01:41 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ezveedub
What happened with Ford Explorers and Firestone is EXACTLY why the tire pressure sticker in the door jamb have tire pressures that seem high. It lists for full load capacity, which most people do not run, but since there can only be one set of pressures listed per axle on the sticker mandated by the government, the manufacturer listed the higher pressures for full load based of a safety factor. It would be better to have a tire loaded properly and ride rough, than under-inflated and blow out a tire should the car be full loaded.

For those who actually open their owners manuals and read them, you'll find the half load tire pressures listed in their.

As for dealerships, most techs just use the tire pressures on the door jamb sticker as well. If they go by the half load pressures, some customer's complain they didn't check the air in the tires or under-inflated them based off the door jamb sticker, so they just fill them to the pressures listed on the sticker for full load to stop unnecessary complaints.

The older tire pressure stickers used to list half and full load tire pressures. Audi use to show amount of people and luggage to depict half and full load. The government then mandated a single tire pressure be listed to prevent confusion (guess people can't tell half load from full load info on the stickers)
The government knows better than we do - that is the sign of the times
Old 04-11-2012, 02:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by amkmeco90
30+ MPG..! i think it's unbelievable to get 3.2 over 26 MPG unless you were driving downhill all your trip. )
Little wind and 60-65 is probably reason. Start doing 70-80 like most cars on the road and I bet you wouldn't get that kind of mileage. From Columbus to smoky mountain national park, we averaged 26 mpg calculated. Some spirited driving involved I think 30 mpg is definitely possible with the right conditions.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I can get 30+ MPG too. But I have to drive about 50mph on flat terrain.. 25-26MPH is more typical at 70-75mph
Old 04-11-2012, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ezveedub

this is "EXACTLY" correct!

Quick Reply: What Tire pressure are you running?