A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

2012 A7 Prestige: B & O vs Bose

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Quattrings
Definitely. I'll post back with a few pictures.
My main issue with the system was the bass output. I found that there was little cone movement with the factory 8" subwoofer (even with bass heavy Jazz or other music played at higher volume levels) and upon removing the component for inspection realized that the subwoofer is made out of paper with a very small magnet, probably no larger than 16oz. I estimate that the power handling capacity of the factory subwoofer to be no more than 50 watts RMS, which explains it's inability to fire through the floorboard and fill the cabin.

My solution was to use an MBQuart mono subwoofer amp (capable of running at 4 or 2 ohms) which connects to a Scosche High/Low level line converter (sorry no picture) with remote amp turn on output signal. I left the factory subwoofer cabinet installed because it is light and supports the spare tire. My initial plan was to replace the cheap subwoofer with a high quality DVC 8" driver from either JL Audio or Polk Audio but they simply wouldn't fit because of the space limitations and design of the factory subwoofer enclosure. I haven't installed the MBQuart tweeters as of yet but plan to for additional high frequency extension sometime soon. The MBQuart subwoofer remote is also attached to it if I need to tweek the bass some. After an intial setting, I haven't touched it again. My main concern is that I am 100% against cutting any factory Audi wires, or hacking any factory components. I made a simple plug to integrate into the factory subwoofer output so that it could be simply disconnected later. I wanted a factory integration so that everything could be removed and replaced to factory when I sell the vehicle.

Subwoofer amp mounted in factory location, Audi amplification moved above MBQuart amplifier. You can see all of the optical interconnects for the Audi factory amplifier. I did not touch any of these connections.

Notice factory subwoofer cabinet to right. MBQuart remote subwoofer control connected and set to my desired taste.

Last edited by Quattrings; 10-09-2011 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hustledouble
I am going to lease an Audi A7 Prestige (Phantom Black/Black) and am trying to decide on whether to add the B & O system. I know it's a ton of loot and most reviews say don't bother spending the 6K. But I'm leasing it and my dealer is going to give me a nice break if I add it, so it'll only add another $50/month to the payment. I'm in the music biz and my stereo is very important to be. I have a B & O system in my 2009 A4 Prestige and I don't want to go backwards. With all of that said, does anyone have the B & O system and if so, did you test it next to the Bose? I haven't been able to listen to the B & O system in person and I need advice. I'm already aware that the system is overpriced, so I'm looking for more of an informed perspective with the consideration that an additional $50/month for a stereo system wasn't a deterrent.
No Highs, No Lows Just Bose. I have been a Club Dj for over 10Yrs(RETIRED AT 27 NOW), A7 Bose system is crystal clear and i can hear every single beats put onto a track..I have owned a BMW E93 CABRIOLET that sounded much better than the A7. BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT........having said all that

Bose in Audi A7 is cool but you have to adjust to your preference. Bose is famous for its clarity and surround capability. Now because i like a bit of everything and since A7 means class and luxury, i don't think you would even need heavy bass. Just incase you do then please try this below

1. SOUND FOCUS TO REAR
2. BALANCE/FADERS ( DONT TOUCH FACTORY SETTINGS, KEEP CENTERED)
3. SURROUND 2 - 3 POINTS ABOVE MIDRANGE
4. BASS & TREBLE ( UNTOUCHED and CENTRED)

Try this and it would sound much much much better.

I did try SOUND FOCUS TO ALL. Initially i was like wow but then tunes thats been played goes flat to my ears which would then require me to adjust the bass and treble and thats not factory to me. Another reason to why you don't feel the bass on this sound system is because of the shape of the car as well. Sound has to travel to a lot of locations but whereas if this same system was in a BMW 5 SERIES , it would have killed. For some reason i also feel that AUDI should not have installed a speaker itself on the dash.

SOUND FOCUS TO REAR is the trick. And i am definitely enjoying the BOSE. I understand 50$ is nothing for a B&O but if you want to save that 50$ i reckon you do so.

Y BOSE? CLARITY is much better than any other in the industry.

BOSE FOR SURE, My Verdict.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=I left the factory subwoofer cabinet installed because it is light and supports the spare tire. My initial plan was to replace the cheap subwoofer with a high quality DVC 8" driver from either JL Audio or Polk Audio but they simply wouldn't fit because of the space limitations and design of the factory enclosure. [/QUOTE]

Thanks for the pics and additional info. I think this may be the route I take. So you did not replace/add a sub? You just added the amp on the factory sub?
Old 10-09-2011, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nice setup...

So it looks like you did not lose any space in the trunk/hatchback area.

Do you think this will affect the pass through space in the A6? I don't want to obstruct that area in the rare cases I do have to haul things around, I don't want to risk damaging the lower hanging amplifier.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by d2000one
Thanks for the pics and additional info. I think this may be the route I take. So you did not replace/add a sub? You just added the amp on the factory sub?
I am interested in this as well. Is the above literally all you did? Is it replacing or adding to the existing sub amp?
What settings did you end up with? I note with the standard Audi audio (as I have) you can adjust the Subwoofer output (from MMI; apparently not possible with Bose or B+Q) but I cannot say this makes much difference.
Thanks
Old 10-10-2011, 04:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Quattrings
My main issue with the system was the bass output. I found that there was little cone movement with the factory 8" subwoofer (even with bass heavy Jazz or other music played at higher volume levels) and upon removing the component for inspection realized that the subwoofer is made out of paper with a very small magnet, probably no larger than 16oz. I estimate that the power handling capacity of the factory subwoofer to be no more than 50 watts RMS, which explains it's inability to fire through the floorboard and fill the cabin.

My solution was to use an MBQuart mono subwoofer amp (capable of running at 4 or 2 ohms) which connects to a Scosche High/Low level line converter (sorry no picture) with remote amp turn on output signal. I left the factory subwoofer cabinet installed because it is light and supports the spare tire. My initial plan was to replace the cheap subwoofer with a high quality DVC 8" driver from either JL Audio or Polk Audio but they simply wouldn't fit because of the space limitations and design of the factory subwoofer enclosure. I haven't installed the MBQuart tweeters as of yet but plan to for additional high frequency extension sometime soon. The MBQuart subwoofer remote is also attached to it if I need to tweek the bass some. After an intial setting, I haven't touched it again. My main concern is that I am 100% against cutting any factory Audi wires, or hacking any factory components. I made a simple plug to integrate into the factory subwoofer output so that it could be simply disconnected later. I wanted a factory integration so that everything could be removed and replaced to factory when I sell the vehicle.

Subwoofer amp mounted in factory location, Audi amplification moved above MBQuart amplifier. You can see all of the optical interconnects for the Audi factory amplifier. I did not touch any of these connections.

Notice factory subwoofer cabinet to right. MBQuart remote subwoofer control connected and set to my desired taste.

Can you send me specs for system, I want to do the same, including repaving all speakers (went with base system because of this). Don't want to cut anything! Thanks and advice welcome. Live USA.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by djvorsprung
No Highs, No Lows Just Bose. I have been a Club Dj for over 10Yrs(RETIRED AT 27 NOW), A7 Bose system is crystal clear and i can hear every single beats put onto a track..I have owned a BMW E93 CABRIOLET that sounded much better than the A7. BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT........having said all that

Bose in Audi A7 is cool but you have to adjust to your preference. Bose is famous for its clarity and surround capability. Now because i like a bit of everything and since A7 means class and luxury, i don't think you would even need heavy bass. Just incase you do then please try this below

1. SOUND FOCUS TO REAR
2. BALANCE/FADERS ( DONT TOUCH FACTORY SETTINGS, KEEP CENTERED)
3. SURROUND 2 - 3 POINTS ABOVE MIDRANGE
4. BASS & TREBLE ( UNTOUCHED and CENTRED)

Try this and it would sound much much much better.

I did try SOUND FOCUS TO ALL. Initially i was like wow but then tunes thats been played goes flat to my ears which would then require me to adjust the bass and treble and thats not factory to me. Another reason to why you don't feel the bass on this sound system is because of the shape of the car as well. Sound has to travel to a lot of locations but whereas if this same system was in a BMW 5 SERIES , it would have killed. For some reason i also feel that AUDI should not have installed a speaker itself on the dash.

SOUND FOCUS TO REAR is the trick. And i am definitely enjoying the BOSE. I understand 50$ is nothing for a B&O but if you want to save that 50$ i reckon you do so.

Y BOSE? CLARITY is much better than any other in the industry.

BOSE FOR SURE, My Verdict.
A huge step in the right direction. Used your setup and it was definitely better. Love the Bose in my daily driver, 2009 Silverado, and it was way better than the as delivered A7. Now they are very close with the A7 delivering a bit more at higher volume. Thanks for the input
Old 10-14-2011, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Sorry, I forgot that detail - I am using an external sub - 10" JL Audio subwoofer in a small lightweight box. I don't have pictures just yet. You can use any choice of components with this setup, the main thing is relieving the factory amp of it's power responsibility for the factory sub. I have looked into replacing the factory 8" subwoofer inside but there are some space limitations where it comes into contact with the magnet. I am working on building a fiberglass box to fit down into the spare tire well in place of the factory plastic subwoofer enclosure.

Originally Posted by d2000one
Old 10-14-2011, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes, as far as touching the factory system. This is the best solution for a deeper frequency response while relieving the factory mids and highs from having to reproduce any of the lower frequencies. I usually have the treble dialed in a couple of clicks past center, with everything else flat. Personal preference.

To answer your question, the JL Audio subwoofer that I am using isn't visible in the pictures.

Originally Posted by hashluck
I am interested in this as well. Is the above literally all you did? Is it replacing or adding to the existing sub amp?
What settings did you end up with? I note with the standard Audi audio (as I have) you can adjust the Subwoofer output (from MMI; apparently not possible with Bose or B+Q) but I cannot say this makes much difference.
Thanks
Old 10-14-2011, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Is the amplifier hanging off your rear deck in the A6? I figured it was located in the side compartment like the A5 and A7 but I havent yet examined the A6.

I am currently using an external small 10" box (can be removed or moved around) while working on a fiberglass enclosure for my trunk area to replace the factory bass enclosure. I should have that finished shortly and will post pics. I feel that thte upgrade to a 10" is perfect.

Originally Posted by lostnspace
So it looks like you did not lose any space in the trunk/hatchback area.

Do you think this will affect the pass through space in the A6? I don't want to obstruct that area in the rare cases I do have to haul things around, I don't want to risk damaging the lower hanging amplifier.

Quick Reply: 2012 A7 Prestige: B & O vs Bose