Thank you.
I don't see the pictures in your link?
Old 02-20-2012, 02:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Viper killer
Thank you.
I don't see the pictures in your link?
Hmm. It is another thread and I still see pictures. Try again?
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2822065
Old 04-01-2012, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solution that worked/works fantastic!!!

Originally Posted by Quattrings
"The saying: No Highs no Lows, just Bose..." applies 100% in this case. I'm not sure what Audi was thinking when they let Bose put their hand on building the system but it is pathetic to put it nicely. The "base" Q5 system sounds about 5Xs better than this so called 'premium system'. Any A5 or A4 with the $900 B&O system makes the A7 sound like it has an old AM radio. There is an 8" subwoofer installed that seems like it has maybe 5 watts going to it. The good news is you can change the front dash tweeters and piggyback an amp with a better sub and it will sound decent. If you have the means, skip the Bose. Its terrible.

Thumbs down to Audi on using Bose.
Audi really screwed up on the stereo for these cars. I listened very diligently to the Bose, B&O and the Base stereo units. I was shocked to hear the "base unit" to include the best balanced sound for the types of music I listen to, i.e. alternative rock, sometimes hard rock and when the kids are in the car, pop (oh my....what I do for my kids). I decided that the Bose didn't cut it for sure, and the B&O also didn't cut it from a price (ridiculous) and a sound for my music vantagepoint. I was able to envision a solution if I went with the base unit, and saw it through to a very satisfactory one.

1) - I disconnected the sub, and ran a wire to a new 10" kicker sub in the trunk.
2) - I matched a Kicker amp to the sub, and now I was able to hear base in the trunk. The sub that they put in the car is a Joke, and shame on Audi for letting this pass quality/design control. They took a nearly perfect car and screwed it up with the stereo line up, and especially this sub.
3) - I was happy with the settings on the sub and although a change for the better, I wasn't totally content with the design output. Some songs were "smoking good", and some were....."distorted, hip hop base type, and fluttering sub sounding vibrating the entire car.
4) - Simple solution, I had the installer run a simple switch to the front of the car from the trunk, and neatly mount it under the steering column. "FIXED", and now with this control, I get more power out of the sub, each song that naturally changes base output is controllable by a simple turn of the switch to pleasant, what should have been in the beginning balanced sound output from the stereo.

In summary the highs and clarity of the base speakers are now complimented by the excellent sound of the base kick, for a pleasant sound at all volumes in the car. The one beauty of Audi is that you can crank the stereo to any volume and it will never distort. That is a great feature, and now with the base switch neatly tucked under the column (nobody can see this), I am totally satisfied with my stereo.

Cost -

1) - Had the 10" sub, therefore a sunk cost for me, but how much could a Kicker sub with an enclosure cost....peanuts
2) - The Amp cost me $360 (mounted to the sub enclosure nice and neat)
3) - Install was $170 (thank God the battery is in the trunk)
4) - Simple telephone wire on off volume switch for the sub was overpriced, but with install cost $70.00.

Tell me.....$5,0000 - $6,000 for the crappy sounding B&O (Overpriced, ya think?)

Bose that sounds like crap (not sure but thousands more as well.

or

Non invasive, simple base upgrade that sounds so so good, for <$1000 when all is said and done.

Hope this helps and I am totally satisfied to say the least!!!!

Good Luck and enjoy the pleasant sound of Zep, Chapman, or even ...Lady G (oh boy, what I do for my kids)....Good Lord :-)
Old 09-22-2012, 07:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Subwoofer addtion

I just had a stereo shop add an 8" Hybrid Technologies subwoofer to my A7. I also added a 300 watt amplifier as well. They customized a speaker cabinet in the rear compartment of the trunk and stacked the amp in the same place that the existing amp. It sounds awesome.
I'll add pictures tomorrow
Old 03-30-2014, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Improved Bose Audio Setting Quality and Bass

Originally Posted by djvorsprung

Bose in Audi A7 is cool but you have to adjust to your preference. Bose is famous for its clarity and surround capability. Now because i like a bit of everything and since A7 means class and luxury, i don't think you would even need heavy bass. Just incase you do then please try this below

1. SOUND FOCUS TO REAR
2. BALANCE/FADERS ( DONT TOUCH FACTORY SETTINGS, KEEP CENTERED)
3. SURROUND 2 - 3 POINTS ABOVE MIDRANGE
4. BASS & TREBLE ( UNTOUCHED and CENTRED)

Try this and it would sound much much much better.

I did try SOUND FOCUS TO ALL. Initially i was like wow but then tunes thats been played goes flat to my ears which would then require me to adjust the bass and treble and thats not factory to me. Another reason to why you don't feel the bass on this sound system is because of the shape of the car as well. Sound has to travel to a lot of locations but whereas if this same system was in a BMW 5 SERIES , it would have killed. For some reason i also feel that AUDI should not have installed a speaker itself on the dash.

SOUND FOCUS TO REAR is the trick. And i am definitely enjoying the BOSE. but if you want to save that 50$ i reckon you do so.
I'd like to revive this thread and hope there will be some feedback. Just got the A7, was resigned to a weak Bose stereo experience, and was a little suspicious of the advice above re sound focus and surround settings since I've always seen that stuff as gimmicky.

Happy to report, yes, SOUND FOCUS TO REAR is indeed the trick!What a difference is musical depth and presence. I have the bass cranked up about three clicks, the treble flat and the fader one to the rear in addition to SOUND FOCUS to REAR. The surround is also set a few clicks above midrange.

Also worth noting re anemic Bose bass: It has been reported that the latest firmware update for the A7 improves the bass and indeed my just built 2014 A7 is better than what I test drove.

I also put in an all weather mat in the trunk and believe that tightens the bass, too. I first heard an improvement in one I test drove that happened to have the mat so I figured what the heck, for $125 it's worth a try and is other wise useful since nothing slides around the trunk and the mat nicely protects it.

So, happy to report this Bose stereo is much better than anticipated. Still likely to add a custom enclosure with 8 or 10 inch sub to the right rear cubby if it can be engineered to not stick out into the luggage area. But for those who are non audiophile oriented, the tweaks above are really quite satisfying!

Last edited by onthebeam; 03-30-2014 at 08:10 AM.