A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Can the MMI use your phone's data plan?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo Freak
It would be too clever if the car could do that, but Audi would rather have you pay more money for a data plan for the car which is completely stupid !

Audi should realize that the money spent on this extra useless data plan could be used for extra options on their car...
It's really not too much different than buying or adding a phone. The car's essentially a data-only smartphone so would need to use someone's service. Even when adding another phone or tablet to an existing contract, there's usually an extra monthly charge by the carriers. Also, there's no requirement that one pay for Audi Connect - the car's nav will still function fine with it's internal POIs, voice command, etc, albeit without the extras. (And totally useless is a matter of opinion - I use Audi Connect every day and find it to be worth the cost).
Old 03-24-2014, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think you guys understand that this can be done by some simple hacking. It's not my area of expertise but having a sim card slot and SD card gives you lots of options specifically connectivity. As someone that hacks Android phones on a regular basis, I have to tell you that I bet you that this can be done. I am posting this issue in some tech and wireless forums to see if someone can come up with something to re-configure this. I use my 2014 A7 as a test one and will report. This can be done and has to be done. Don't give up so easily.

I anyone has links or documents on the specifics of this system I'd appreciate it. Let the games begin Happy hacking
The following users liked this post:
Mrbmw2Audi (01-04-2022)
Old 03-24-2014, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Audiphobe
I don't think you guys understand that this can be done by some simple hacking. It's not my area of expertise but having a sim card slot and SD card gives you lots of options specifically connectivity. As someone that hacks Android phones on a regular basis, I have to tell you that I bet you that this can be done. I am posting this issue in some tech and wireless forums to see if someone can come up with something to re-configure this. I use my 2014 A7 as a test one and will report. This can be done and has to be done. Don't give up so easily.

I anyone has links or documents on the specifics of this system I'd appreciate it. Let the games begin Happy hacking
Hey, good luck!
Old 03-24-2014, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by fkaufman
Hey, good luck!
LOL. Can't wait to see how that comes out.
Can VCDS create missing hardware and does anyone know how much it costs to replace a fried MMI module?
Old 05-02-2014, 03:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Audiphobe have you had any luck with a non T-Mobile SIM card in your 2014 A7?
I have the same car and my T-Mobile is up and want to see if I can put in a Verizon SIM card.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Ray6
Audiphobe have you had any luck with a non T-Mobile SIM card in your 2014 A7?
I have the same car and my T-Mobile is up and want to see if I can put in a Verizon SIM card.
Not going to work in this car without changing the telephone module and lots of recoding (and presumably money) and I've not read of anyone attempting this. Verizon uses different cel radio frequencies (and hardware) than T-Mobile. Unlike some recent phones, i.e. iPhone, Audi does not use multiple, universal frequency bands. The only carrier sim besides T-Mobile that will work is AT&T, and then only at slow 2G speeds, a band which is shared by T-Mobile. (The new 2015 A3 uses AT&T 4G instead of T-Mobile).
And as mentioned here and discussed in many other threads, you can use an alternate provider's sim so long as they use the T-Mobile network. Do an AW search.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Not going to work in this car without changing the telephone module and lots of recoding (and presumably money) and I've not read of anyone attempting this. Verizon uses different cel radio frequencies (and hardware) than T-Mobile. Unlike some recent phones, i.e. iPhone, Audi does not use multiple, universal frequency bands. The only carrier sim besides T-Mobile that will work is AT&T, and then only at slow 2G speeds, a band which is shared by T-Mobile. (The new 2015 A3 uses AT&T 4G instead of T-Mobile).
And as mentioned here and discussed in many other threads, you can use an alternate provider's sim so long as they use the T-Mobile network. Do an AW search.
So what you are saying is that the Sim slot in the US version of this car is unlocked?
Old 05-03-2014, 05:15 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Obeckk
So what you are saying is that the Sim slot in the US version of this car is unlocked?
Yes you can use several carriers.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

sorry, I have not done anything about this. Personal stuff in my life has put this on a back burner.

But I am amazed that you guys are still talking about exchanging sim cards and what not. This thread wasn't started to talk about that. Plenty of threads talk about alternates to tMobile plan. From what I understand, paying $450 for three years is a pretty good deal if you use Google earth images and search. So I'm not going to even worry about going with these tMobile resellers. Not worth it.

This thread started for us to look for a way to connect the MMI to the data plan of our phones. My android phone is rooted and I have the capability of using the data plan as a wifi hotspot. Why not be able to use that with the MMI. I understand it is difficult and will carry some risk. But in the phone hacking world, people get together, donate money and buy a phone for a developer to test different hacks on it. I thought maybe we could do that here. I'm not familiar with it and was going to bring it up in a wifi/wireless forum to see if it could be done. I was under the impression that many hardware components that have the capability of being a wifi hotspot can also receive data from a wifi hotspot. Don't quote me on that. I will try to make a post tonight.

Go ahead make fun of me for wanting to try this but at least I'm doing something about it.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

here you go, lets see what these guys think

http://www.wirelessforums.org/showth...288#post506288

Quick Reply: Can the MMI use your phone's data plan?