S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

STaSIS Engineering : B8 S4 3.0 ECU upgrade....NOW available

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 06:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Un1k
+1

they did provide all the same info that any other company, like APR would provide <- and this is where the problem is

they offer the warranty that no other company provides, so they have to give more information about the things they provide.

I mean if there were no warranty, a lot less people will go with stasis. So to prove their warranty is legit, us, as customers should be able to ask some questions. also, they don't give the greatest feedback in terms of answering questions. U see how many questions are being asked and how many are being answered? by the looks of it, I would think that APR is providing the dealer warranty and stasis is not
+2

I would look at it this way -- if it is difficult to extract warranty coverage information before the purchase, imagine the difficulty you will have when something goes south and you're trying to file a warranty claim.

I am hopeful that Jeff@Stasis will get this information out there soon. After all, I am excited about the tune, but at the end of the day, Stasis, like any other company, has to earn my business. :-)
Old 10-05-2010, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s4atx
+2

I would look at it this way -- if it is difficult to extract warranty coverage information before the purchase, imagine the difficulty you will have when something goes south and you're trying to file a warranty claim.

I am hopeful that Jeff@Stasis will get this information out there soon. After all, I am excited about the tune, but at the end of the day, Stasis, like any other company, has to earn my business. :-)

Okay so by my tally we have:

1. May we see the Warranty Agreement?

2. Can this be installed onsite at Stasis?

What am I missing? I'm personally waiting on these two before purchasing - and I've got some money burning a hole in my pocket.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hi, stasis I posted this at 'b8 s4 testing' on Oct.1st but I thought it might be better to post this again on this thread

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hello stasis, I have a question about the ecu.

How did you guys know what kind of crank horsepower this ecu tune will make since Jan? (I think it goes back even further than that but I will just say Jan)

Audi has understated the crank hp for the S4 by saying it was 333hp when ppl dyno'd this car they got around 270-300 whp (I will skip all the DTL talk since I assume you know this much better than I do)

did you guys assume or guesstimate that you will make 77chp gains? so from 333chp, your tune will get 410 chp?

or did you guys guess that the tune will make 410 chp? not regarding the audi stated numbers? (I know these two sound smiliar, but for the first part I am asking if you expected 77chp gains, and on the second I am asking if you expected the result to be 410chp)

either way, I am very curious how you guys came up with that number since very very long time ago before you guys were very far into the development of this tune.

Thank you
---------------------
plz do get back to your customers
Old 10-05-2010, 09:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

hello stasis, I have a question about the ecu.

How did you guys know what kind of crank horsepower this ecu tune will make since Jan? (I think it goes back even further than that but I will just say Jan)
I had the exact same question when I looked at their material. They seem to use Audi's conservative spec numbers to their own advantage.

For instance, they say that their ECU increases 0-60 speed from 4.9 seconds down to 4.5 seconds. But, a lot of the car mags put the acceleration numbers for the stock S4 in the 4.7 range. In fact, didn't Car & Driver quote a 4.5 second 0-60 sprint with their stock car? A lot will depend on how aggressively you launch the car. But, let's say the 4.7 second number is more correct.

How about hp? As far as the S4's stock hp goes, I've seen a lot of folks quoting the 370 hp figure. So let's take the 370 hp and the 4.7 second number as correct and do a little figuring here. Let's see, to get to their modified numbers of 410 hp and 0-60 speeds of 4.5 seconds we would have a 40 hp gain with a two tenths of a second quicker 0-60 sprint.

How much are they charging for this? $1495? Just under one thousand five hundred dollars? I don't know about you guys, but $1500 for a 40 hp gain and several tenths of a second quicker to 60 seems a bit steep for me.

If you don't believe my numbers, look at their own video they released of stock vs. modified. Their modified car does steadily pull away from a stock car - but not very dramtically to my eye. I was *not* impressed - esp. for $1500! What do you guys think?

Last edited by drrick89; 10-06-2010 at 05:02 AM.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by drrick89
I had the exact same question when I looked at their material. They seem to be Audi's somewhat fuzzy numbers to their own advantage.

For instance, they say that their ECU increases 0-60 speed from 4.9 seconds down to 4.5 seconds. But, a lot of the car mags put the acceleration numbers for the stock S4 in the 4.7 range. In fact, didn't Car & Driver quote a 4.5 second 0-60 sprint with their stock car? But, let's say the 4.7 second number is more correct.

How about hp? As far as the S4's stock hp goes, I've seen a lot of folks quoting the 370 hp figure. So let's take the 370 hp and the 4.7 second number as correct and do a little figuring here. Let's see, to get to their modified numbers of 410 hp and 0-60 speeds of 4.5 seconds we would have a 40 hp gain with a two tenths of a second quicker 0-60 sprint.

How much are they charging for this? $1495? Just under fifteen hundred dollars? I don't know about you guys, but $1500 for a 40 hp gain and several tenths of a second quicker to 60 seems a bit steep for me.

If you don't believe my numbers, look at their own video they released of stock vs. modified. Their modified car does steadily pull away from a stock car - but not very dramtically to my eye. I was *not* impressed - esp. for $1500! What do you guys think?
I do think stasis should get back to you and I about what we asked about. SERIOUSLY

I forgot to mention the 0 to 60 numbers, so thanks for pointing this out.

So.... just to add to my question, how did you guys not only know what kind of crank horsepower it'll make since about January, and what kind of 0-60 numbers it will get?
Old 10-05-2010, 11:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just some input from what I know after talking to Stasis engineers at an Audi Club of America event about their warranty. Stasis is Audi's equivalent to Dinan with BMW. They are in agreement with Audi of NA ONLY and not with Germany. The warranty simply states that if during your new car warranty period a problem occurs and it has been identified to be caused by Stasis parts, just like any mod, Audi will not honor your warranty for that repair. Instead, Stasis' 4yr/50k mile warranty will cover that amount so that you are not responsible for it. So if your supercharger blows after the ECU remap and it was determined that Stasis was the cause, Stasis will cover your new supercharger and labor costs to repair. I used to own a BMW 335i and I've heard so many people with piggy backs getting denied of the complimentary scheduled maintenance because when plugged into the computer, software remap was detected. If you get your Stasis modifications installed correctly at a Signature Series dealership, no questions will be asked and in no way does it void your Audi Care or new car warranty.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I do think stasis should get back to you and I about what we asked about. SERIOUSLY

I forgot to mention the 0 to 60 numbers, so thanks for pointing this out.

So.... just to add to my question, how did you guys not only know what kind of crank horsepower it'll make since about January, and what kind of 0-60 numbers it will get?
That was a blurb in a car magazine. You could find it by googling it or searching the threads here.

But, even using their own numbers, Stasis seems it bit expensive. When I had my 2000 S4 with the biturbo 2.7 V6, I got a physical chip from Wett that moved my hp from 250 to about 305 and reduced 0-60 sprints from 5.5 to around 5.0 seconds. The cost was $300 to $500 or so. Can't remember, but *much* cheaper!
Old 10-06-2010, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by drrick89
Can someone post a link to this video? I can't find it on the website.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

you see, THAT's the kind of response that directly answers one of the questions. Thank you..... Now, just need to see that in the warranty, to confirm your conversation.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

about the hp figure--- I really don't think this is big an issue as one might think. Consider:

STaSIS takes a stock S4 and dynos it. It runs 280whp (example only). If they "assume" the factory claim of 333 hp is correct(which there is nothing wrong with doing this in this example), they can figure out that DTL is approximately 14%.

They then run the STaSIS S4, and apply the same 14% to the new dyno results, to arrive at their figure.

Next example using your comment regarding the supposed 370hp figure: STaSIS runs the stock S4 on the dyno. Again, same result (should be)--280whp. to arrive at 370hp, one would calculate a 25% DTL. STaSIS then runs their car, and again, dyons the same result (should be). Applying the same DTL% would actually produce a higher crankshaft estimate.

The dyno before and after should be relatively repeatedly consistent, as long as the same fuel, gear used, and conditions are similar. It's really the drivetrain loss that everyone is trying to wrap their head around (what actually is it??)

To me, crankshaft hp is marketing and chest-beating (respectfully said ammongst all of us). WHP is more telling.

Their dyno sheets do show the major gain of area under the curve 5000rpm and up. In a drag race, think about it...how much of your time will spent under 5k rpm? Basically at launch, but because of 1st gear natually being low, you're up to redline quickly. when the car then shifts, you drop to, what... 4500-5000rpm...right in the big bulge of power the chip reveals.

Now how that converts to time improvements (Base vs. stock) should be tested before and after as well--not comparing results posted elsewhere. keep the variables to a minimum (nil, preferably).

Quick Reply: STaSIS Engineering : B8 S4 3.0 ECU upgrade....NOW available