Excessive oil consumption with 2.0T engine

Old 07-03-2012, 04:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

30k on my 2011.
engine used just under a quart in 6000 miles, assuming the dealer didn't over fill it. Don't have a dipstick. Audi care oil changes are every 10k miles. Using synthetic , Penzoil.
With Synthetic should i be changing oil at 5000 to 7500 miles?
Old 07-25-2012, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Clarification

Older engines had no monitoring of too high of oil levels (only a warning on the oil filler cap of catalyst damage), the precision of newer oil level sensors allows for this. Too high of oil levels can result in "foaming" of oil from the crankshaft revoutions comming too near in contact with the oil surface and whipping it into a froth. I have never personally seen an engine that you could directly attribute bearing damage to this, but is theoretically valid and advisable to maintain correct level below max (additionally it will increase crankcase oil vapors routed to the engine with potentially detrimental effects to the catalyst in the long term). A service or repair was performed imcorrectly if the vehicle oil too high indicator illuminates, to be fair it is a very narrow range to trigger and the service personel may not be aware of this sensitivity (note: the system only resets after hood opening 30+ seconds (must indicate on cluster), with a warm engine (at least 1/4-1/2 temp guage) and after 2+ min with the key on but engine off) Reguarding consumption as MPG targets increase a way of attaining them has been to reduce frictional resistance within the engine (All manufacturers are doing this to verying degrees of risk), one of the more effective ways of doing this is by reducing the friction/ pressure of the rings on the cylinders/ liners. Changes in this reduced pressure and the method of cylinder honing or lining can result in failure to "seat/ Break in" the rings, or result in progressive wear of the rings if not broken in correctly (a very opinionated and subjective science for a vehicle in the real world). Break in (first couple thousand miles) can have a significant impact on this long term, fluctuating heavier loads (warm engine) with veried moderatly agressive driving will increase the decreased pressure ( from manufacturer changes of engine tolerances) on the rings and increase the chance of correct seating occuring. My personal recomendation (I hold no responsibility, and represent only subjective opinion, I'm just trying to help) is to drive the vehicle moderatly aggressive from day 1 using sport mode at times and avoid freeway cruising at constant speeds or extended idling when practial. Anyway, I allready think this is too long for a first post...
Old 07-26-2012, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good post, hitting the Enter key a few times between thoughts would be great tho.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Is it only the first two years of the B8 generation that the A4 consumes a good quantity of oil? Will a 2011 or 2012 A4 have this problem?
Old 09-15-2012, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Is it only the first two years of the B8 generation that the A4 consumes a good quantity of oil?
Will a 2011 or 2012 A4 have this problem?
Old 10-31-2012, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

actually it was the AUDI's concept, that some small quantity of the oil left on the cylinders, so the lubrication is better, - for protect the NIKASIL layer, -
it's sure generate some consumption,

and i guess they have nothing change in 2011/2012 - concept is just a 2nd nature...

if you like reduce it - use the higher numbers oils, like 10W40,
and stop use synth.

Originally Posted by Tenassi
Is it only the first two years of the B8 generation that the A4 consumes a good quantity of oil?
Will a 2011 or 2012 A4 have this problem?
Old 11-24-2012, 06:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Wilmurt
Just recently Audi did a partial engine repair to our 2009 A4 2.0T due to excessive oil consumption at 24k miles. Our car was using oil at the rate of 500-600 miles per quart. As explained by our dealer, there was a bad batch of piston rings installed at the factory within a specific VIN range and our car happened to fall into that range. Of course the repair was done at no charge under warranty and after a few phone calls to Audi Customer Relations they have extended our warranty for an additional 2yrs/24k miles over and beyond the origial Audi warranty. This engine issue must be a big problem for Audi as the dealer service manager said we are the fourth car in as many weeks to have had the same engine rebuild for the same excessive oil consumption. Has anybody else experieinced this problem?
Just had the same piston and ring replacement done on ours. Audi offered the same resolution on the warranty extension but I am trying to get an allowance to move to an S5 to get away from this motor which I think will be problematic in the years ahead.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default audi a5 3.0 TDI quattro diesel consumption to high

we have an A5 Sportback 3.0 TDI quattro 2967 ccm, 176 KW, 240 PS (Model of 2009 — build in 2012) - more details here,

and looks like a very high fuel consumption, like you see at the pictures and the video on uTUBE:

is that normal...?

Originally Posted by Wilmurt
Just recently Audi did a partial engine repair to our 2009 A4 2.0T due to excessive oil consumption at 24k miles. Our car was using oil at the rate of 500-600 miles per quart. As explained by our dealer, there was a bad batch of piston rings installed at the factory within a specific VIN range and our car happened to fall into that range. Of course the repair was done at no charge under warranty and after a few phone calls to Audi Customer Relations they have extended our warranty for an additional 2yrs/24k miles over and beyond the origial Audi warranty. This engine issue must be a big problem for Audi as the dealer service manager said we are the fourth car in as many weeks to have had the same engine rebuild for the same excessive oil consumption. Has anybody else experieinced this problem?
Old 12-17-2012, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi there , I would be interested to know what the vin on your a4 is , My 2009 a4 avant is currently
using 1 litre of oil per 400km , yes 400km , it has 110,000 km on the clock and is out of warranty , the service
from Audi has been appalling ...at80,000 km it was using 1 litre per 1000km and they told me this was within
limits , they have offered me $2500 towards a new engine which they say I need , I spent $1300 on an oil
consumption test which was a waste of time . It is about time Audi stepped up and took responsibility for
what is obviously a real problem with this engine .
Old 12-22-2012, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I totally agree with Mitchejc. Audi have dropped the ball on the oil consumption issue. And they have chosen to say it's within spec as a cop out. My 2009 A4 consumes a litre every 1500km or so. I am getting a little tired of this. Two months ago, at 85000, just 5000 kms over the warranty I have to replace all the injectors. I called Customer relations and mentioned both problems. After 2 weeks they called and said there would not extend any good will. This is the last Audi I will ever own. Looking to replace it as I write.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Excessive oil consumption with 2.0T engine