Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Odd gearbox behavior - Neutral -> Drive sometimes won't shift unless brake is pressed

Old 08-17-2011, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Certainly sounds odd to me, although it wouldn't surprise me with all the safety nannies today. i have never driven a vehicle that requires braking to shift from neutral to drive. From park to any gear -- yes. But from neutral? Never.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by john1r
If in drive and moving, can the car be put in neutral w/o stepping on the brake? If so, what if one accidentally puts it in neutral while driving down a highway? Do you have to stop the car in the middle of the highway (or just tap the brake for a second) to put it back in drive?

Not being able to easily/quickly put the car into drive seems more dangerous to me.

I really don't like some of these 'safety' features that Audi has (i.e. having to depress brake before turning car on). I see no reason for this one as the car is in park and isn't going anywhere, so why not let my passenger turn the car on and get the a/c running on a hot day while I'm putting the baby in the car seat? So annoying...
I'm pretty sure you have to tap the brake to shift to N as well. Your passenger can start the fan w/o starting the car. This is the first Audi I've owned but not the first I've had to hit the brake to get out of N. A little nerve-racking if they send a car in on your bumper. I'm actually surprised there's been no flames for driving your Q5 through a car wash. With 3 l.o.s I have neither time nor patience and touchless washes are pretty much nil here.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can shift into neutral (from drive) without applying the brake.
You can shift to drive (from neutral) without applying the brake PROVIDED the car moves.
If the car is at standstill, you need to apply the brake to shift from neutral to drive.

This is the way it works on both the Q5 and A4

Old 08-18-2011, 05:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sometimes put the car in neutral when waiting for a long red light. When the green is about to come I'd let of the brake and the car rolls forward, then I realize it's still in neutral and have to brake again to put it back into Drive. Makes me think twice doing it on a downward slope/red light situation. The car behind me might run into my rear bumper. Kinda annoying but it's really an operator error.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by CinnamonQ5
I sometimes put the car in neutral when waiting for a long red light. When the green is about to come I'd let of the brake and the car rolls forward, then I realize it's still in neutral and have to brake again to put it back into Drive. Makes me think twice doing it on a downward slope/red light situation. The car behind me might run into my rear bumper. Kinda annoying but it's really an operator error.
I use "hold assist" at long lights.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by georgehf
Ever hear of the Audi 5000?
That may help explain why it's now standard in most cars to have to put your foot on the break to shift out of Park.
Exactly - it away to prevent inadvertent acceleration by making sure people have their foot on the brake before they engage power. It will prevent lawsuits that hit the news last year by many including a CHP person with Toyotas.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jusforfun
Standard and not new. stops people accidently knocking it into gear and running over daddy while he closes the garage door!
To me its more scary to think of a car moving in traffic in neutral!
Indeed, and for what it's worth, the owner's manual states that you should not coast the car in neutral to avoid damaging it.