Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2014 Q5 Order Guide out (4/12/13 rev), including TDI and SQ

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, likely a "typo" on that box check on page 9 then. Perhaps the prior version of the PIB only had one row for 2.0T and they failed to add a 2nd one when only the 2.0T (not the hybrid) got the hp bump
Old 04-14-2013, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by idale
While we now have proof that the TDI beats the mileage of the hybrid, it's not all about mileage as some won't want diesel (due to the differing pollutants that diesel can generate vs. petrol, or living somewhere that's still in the dark ages with diesel availability, or the initial extra cost of a TDI (at Prestige level), or whatever).
I don't follow the "initial extra cost of a TDI" comment. The Hybrid is only available in Prestige, while the TDI is at Premium Plus. I guess you're saying if they're both at Prestige, you're guessing the price will be higher for TDI? I guess we won't know until pricing is released, but since there's no way to get the Hybrid for less than Prestige, and there's only 500 (I think) avail this year, it seems that's the one with the higher actual cost that will drive some away.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by Mark P
Edmunds shows "Convenience Pkg" as "included" on '13 Q5 2.0T. So it seems that was already standard???

I like that the Advance Key is included in PPlus. I didn't want to pay $500 for it, but now that it's included, I'm sure I'm effectively "forced" to pay for it ) I think I'll enjoy it, just was trying not to get every bell and whistle not needed...
Nevermind, Edmunds pre-selected "Premium Plus", which is what previously included it. So the change in 2014 is that the "2.0T Premium" now has Convenience Pkg standard. It was the only model/trim that didn't have it already standard.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark P
I don't follow the "initial extra cost of a TDI" comment. The Hybrid is only available in Prestige, while the TDI is at Premium Plus. I guess you're saying if they're both at Prestige, you're guessing the price will be higher for TDI? I guess we won't know until pricing is released, but since there's no way to get the Hybrid for less than Prestige, and there's only 500 (I think) avail this year, it seems that's the one with the higher actual cost that will drive some away.
Right, the TDI engine vs. the hybrid engine should be more expensive (the hybrid Prestige comes in just under the 3.0T Prestige price, and the TDI should be some number of thousands more than the 3.0T -- unless they really want to push TDI hard, that is). You can indeed get the TDI in P+ (which is what I'd be doing), I was just covering the potential "argument" of the TDI being "cheaper" because you don't necessarily have to buy as expensive a vehicle (but that's comparing two separate trim levels as opposed to the technologies -- and you can get both in Prestige unlike comparing the 2.0T to hybrid).

And if you want to talk OTD pricing, TDIs tend to not get much in the way of deals since there tends to be a lot of demand. Hybrids will be rare and should have little in the way of deals going on as well, though I suppose if you qualify for Supplier then at least you can use that on TDIs since they aren't a "limited" model.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Gotcha. Well if an equal-opportunity tree-hugger wants to keep costs low, they can get a TDI cheaper than a Hybrid

... by not being forced to buy stuff they don't need
Old 04-14-2013, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts
Default How about a trip to Europe???

As I indeed confirmed finally on the Hybrid order, if you go Euro delivery it does not count in the allocations for the Q5, hybrid specifically. And here is where in my opinion one of the Bay Area dealers tried to mislead me--at the top Sales Manager level of all things. I actually saw on the dealer side of the web screens (the ones we don't see on the US consumer site area) the specific language that says in the case of the Q5, including Hybrids, it does not count against allocation. An earlier dealer had tried to insinuate that sort of, but I suspect either didn't really want the business or maybe was having other issues w/ Audi anyway. If you search the web postings for experienced purchasers on Euro delivery, the general consensus is it ultimately doesn't count either. Here, I saw the internal Audi screens that said that, within the past few weeks.

Net, I went to the third dealer, went in through the Internet/fleet type salesperson where they had Euro delivery program slotted, and had no issue or negotiation on getting the standard Euro 5% off list recommended price. The other dealer played games with me through their sales manager (after we wrote up an order), and tried to tell me it counted against allocation and thus wanted full list--as a "deal" since it was so hard to get... Of course his own salesman had showed me the screen the day before that directly contradicted that; the salesperson sheepishly told me basically he was just following orders from above.

From what I did see, a few things were apparently still allocated for Euro delivery, and also sold at full list (like the R8; the full list part of which is already on the consumer side web page). I didn't see the screen long enough to remember the other exception cases, but I recall it may have been relevant to RS models per the dealer side Euro delivery pages.

Thus, if you want a TDI or SQ...or Hybrid...consider Euro delivery if you either get flak on allocations or the full list + stance. I normally have bought Audi's for regular U.S. delivery at some discount and with some bargaining, so 5% under list isn't necessarily optimal for a regular vehicle easily available on a lot, or even high end ones that are slow movers. But, when harder to find, Euro delivery ultimately proved a valuable alternative. I did it on my 85 Audi 5000, so am familiar w/ it already enough to know it can be a great experience as well. Took just saying no at one and a few emails and then a trip to the final one, but in the end once I found the right place, it was a no hassle, pleasant experience at my final stop... The savings off of list on an otherwise allocated/rationed vehicle on the U.S. side will indeed effectively pay the airfare for two+ as well! Car is tentatively scheduled for an early May build BTW, so at least so far seems pretty prompt as well.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 04-14-2013 at 12:14 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
The other dealer played games with me through their sales manager (after we wrote up an order), and tried to tell me it counted against allocation and thus wanted full list--as a "deal" since it was so hard to get...
Wow, that's some BS. Euro delivery is a set price (depending on model), no exceptions. Quite the scam going on there, as they'd get to pocket that 5% on top of any consideration from Audi for the Euro Delivery program (not sure if the discount's split with AoA or anything like that -- if so, they just made well over MSRP on the deal).

At least you eventually found someone actually willing to do the program for you.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Any idea when we can expect to see 2014 pricing?
Old 04-15-2013, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by rlebwohl
Any idea when we can expect to see 2014 pricing?
Usually seems to come in May/June. Someone had been told April 17 (this Wednesday), but that's supposedly when the order bank opens and pricing doesn't have to be out for the dealers to start ordering (unlike generally for customer orders since they'd want to have a price set so the customer is less likely to potentially walk at the end -- though I'm sure it varies by dealer).