Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A4 > A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Notices

A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Old 05-01-2012, 11:00 AM   #1
blisteringft
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 91938

Default Hissing noise from brake pedal?

2006 A4 2.0tq auto. I've noticed lately that there seems to be a noise coming from the brake pedal, when I'm NOT stepping on the brakes. It's enough that I can hear it when driving around at less than highway speeds.

It sounds like a hissing noise. If I press the brake pedal down a bit, it stops then slowly comes back. If I press the pedal down more (full stop) the noise goes away until I let off the pedal.

Anyone heard of this? Know what it is? Recall (please be a recall).

Thanks in advance.
blisteringft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:11 AM   #2
blisteringft
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 91938

Default Updated

Welp, I know we're all really interested in this, so here's an update.

Did some research (youtube) and found some steps to take to see if there is a vacuum leak in the brake booster or somewhere between it and the brake pedal.

Ran the car for a bit, pulled into the garage. Put it in park, foot off the brake, turn car off. Hissing noise tapered down for about 5 seconds to nothing. Wait 2 minutes, then test.

The test is to press the pedal down with the car off for 2 or more minutes. If there is a leak, the vacuum will have leaked and you'll feel little to no assist pushing the pedal. If the vacuum is good, you'll get 2 assisted pedal pushes.

I got 2 pushes no problem, even got some assistance on the 3rd push. So it seems there's not really a leak there.

Any thoughts as to what can make a hissing noise down there that stops when pushing the brake pedal in? I actually stuck my head down there while it was running and it seem like the noise is coming from behind/within that little rubber plunger. What is that?
blisteringft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement

Tags
a4, audi, b7, brake, hiss, hisses, hissing, noise, pedal, sound