A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Old 05-05-2012, 08:52 AM   #11
jfourman
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 227371

Default No luck on gear display

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevial View Post
yep vag com, its in the instrument cluster in adaptations, you should be able to find it
Stevial: I found "Upshift display in center panel" and made it "active". ...no luck. I went back in to confirm that it was "active". Display while driving is still just "D".

If you are in VAG Com anytime soon, could you have a look at what you may have made active to get the gear to display. None of the other options seem relevant. Thanks.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:20 AM   #12
jfourman
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 227371

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfourman View Post
Stevial: I found "Upshift display in center panel" and made it "active". ...no luck. I went back in to confirm that it was "active". Display while driving is still just "D".

If you are in VAG Com anytime soon, could you have a look at what you may have made active to get the gear to display. None of the other options seem relevant. Thanks.
Stevial: I found it. It is in "02 Auto Trans", "10-Adaptations". Set "Single gear display" to "D=On/S=On".

Thanks.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:10 PM   #13
Stevial
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 59995

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfourman View Post
Stevial: I found it. It is in "02 Auto Trans", "10-Adaptations". Set "Single gear display" to "D=On/S=On".

Thanks.
sweet
Stevial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:08 PM   #14
BlueSander
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 155014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuck View Post
Yes but when your driving aggressively on curvy mountain roads with no shoulders and 200 foot drops, you don't want to have to take your eyes off the road which you have to do to look at the Instrument Cluster display.
If you'd like to drive like that and you need to know what gear you are in, I highly suggest you against doing it. It would be a nice touch to have it on the headup display but otherwise, it's useless.
BlueSander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:02 PM   #15
Knuck
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 110560

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSander View Post
If you'd like to drive like that and you need to know what gear you are in, I highly suggest you against doing it. It would be a nice touch to have it on the headup display but otherwise, it's useless.
It is more than a nice thing to have. If you drive with music on, at least for my ears, it is very difficult to hear the engine. If you drive at high RPM all the time then I agree you can feel where you are at in the range, however, if you are on roads that go from extremely tight and twisty to straight, I prefer not to have be at 4000 plus RPM for the entire time. If you get down below 2500 RPM it is very difficult to feel or hear which gear you are in as this is an 8 speed transmission with very little feel at lower RPM between gears 5 through 8.

I am not sure how much experience you have on these type of roads or if you have much experience with standard vehicles, but to know exactly which gear you are in at any given time is extremely useful. For example, if you are travelling at 140 kms/hr along a straight and come upon a turn recommended at 40 kms/hr it is extremely important to know if you are in 8th or 5th as there is very little time to downshift into the appropriate gear to safely handle the corner.
Knuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:02 PM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement

Tags
a7, audi, bmw, display, heads, hud, mode