A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004
Old 07-25-2016, 03:19 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C5) Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

DIY: ABS Module replacement in Audi A6

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default DIY: ABS Module replacement in Audi A6

The instructions are intended for Audi A6 maybe similar to Audi A4 B5 series as well.

There comes a day that your ABS icon will light up without warning and hand brake icon will start flashing with sound for couple seconds, and
then handbrake icon will flash with ABS constant light on. This is pretty much indication that your electronic ABS module failed.
You can still brake, but no longer you have ABS assistance in emergency braking.

There are two options either you can send it for repair (use Google and type " ABS repair " ) I had bad experience with repair companies, they just wasted my money with no results,
second option you can buy brand new unit and by following DIY below you can replace it, and you can save few hundred dollars.

I went with brand new unit I bought from ECS Tuning after wasted money on used units and failed repairs that resulted in more costs. Some ABS units are not repairable even , you have 50/50 chance that they will able to fix the unit for you. There are other companies that can get you new ABS Module Electronic part unit under $600

The first photo shows speedometer cluster both ABS and Handbrake icons light up.

Next you can verify if ABS is a problem by using VAGCOM software or you can have it checked by local shop or your authorized Audi dealer
I used Vagcom to check if my ABS is a problem
Logged into the VAGCOM menu and selected option 03 ABS Brakes

In couple second the software will attempt to communicate with ABS module, my results were negative, ABS module failed, you will get error message
no response from controller.

So I went to online store there are number of them selling online and bought brand new ABS module.
You can buy complete unit with pump or just electronic part. I have contacted the store to be sure I am buying the correct unit for my car they wanted
to know the engine, transmission type, and if I have ESP, and all wheel drive.
Once I received the unit, I proceeded to replace ABS module
The ABS module is located on driver side of engine compartment, between coolant and windshield reservoir .

in order to remove just electronic part you need to remove the windshield reservoir container.
here below are the steps

1. Remove the driver side wheel

2. remove the wheel liner using combination of T25 key, Metric 10 key size and flat screwdriver (there is approx 14 screws that hold the liner in place)

3. you need to drain the windshield washer fluid from the reservoir. I used empty container to reuse the fluid.
in order to drain the fluid you need to disconnect the pipe that is located on the driver side on the front of the bumper and it is accessible from the
wheel side. To disconnect the pipe you need to pull the clip and pull the connection apart, the top part I directed to container for fluid to drain from
reservoir

4.once the fluid drains it is time to remove the windshield washer reservoir from the vehicle it is necessary to remove in order to access the screws
that hold the ABS module to pump.

5.There are two connections that need to be disconnected from the windshields level sensor and one of the pumps

6. there are 3 screws that hold the windshield washer reservoir one is from the engine compartment and two are from the wheel side

Wheel Side

7. once you remove the screws you need to pull the container down and the back pump will pull from the container it is hold by pressure you can leave it
hanging

8.now you need to disconnect cable from the abs module, first disconnect the cable from the wheel side

then from the engine compartment pull the connector to left side and pull up

9. remove six screws that hold the ABS module to the pump using T20 hex key ,

once that is done now you can remove the abs module and you will expose the pump pressure valves, nothing to worry, fluid will not drain.

10. just last check that part# of the ABS module matches to original and they are the same,

just reinstall in reverse steps,
once I installed the ABS module, connected the cables I turn the ignition on and both ABS and handbrake icons were gone,

if your handbrake is pulled up , the icon will remain until you pull down the handbrake, now I connected VAGCOM and logged into the VAGCOM menu and
selected the 03 ABS Brakes and in couple seconds I received positive message, the connection has been made, now ABS is working,

then I just followed all the steps in reverse, reinstalled everything and drove the car around to be sure everything is working.
Now you can drive safely knowing that ABS is working and when needed will do the emergency stopping for you.
The following users liked this post:
realmexyaudi (05-09-2020)
Old 03-22-2011, 08:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 170 Likes on 149 Posts

Nice write–up and pics. A couple of points: First, you don't need to drain the washer fluid from the reservoir - you can just use a hanger to support the reservoir while you access and remove the ABW module. Second, you can send your old ABS module to ModuleMaster in Moscow, ID to have it repaired (~$225) rather than installing a new part. If you do send the unit out for repair, the exposed ABS parts need to be covered with a water–tight covering to protect it while you wait for the return of the ABW module. This is the process I follwed when I repaired the ABW module on my wife's '00 VW 1.8L Passat.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks,
On A6 there is not enough room to move the reservoir, even if you try just to drop it and hanging you have to turn the container and the back pump will come out and fluid will drain onto the floor, I did it 6 times and I believe this way it is safe, of course if there is tool that can fit between the abs module and container then you can save few steps
as regards to repairs of ABS module, that was my first attempt before deciding to buy brand new one, I have wasted too much money I could of bought 2 modules for that money,
ModuleMaster (MM) were one of them who attempted to repair the unit without success, BBA screwed up completely , and there were two people on one of the forums who did it, MM repair lasted 6 months , I have shipped second time it didn't work, then I bought used unit that one lasted one week, shipped to BBA they shipped me different module, bought another used one which didn't work shipped to one guy , it worked for about 4-5 months failed, shipped to second guy it lasted a month, after this fiasco I bought new one a year ago, and year passed and it is still holding good.
My recommendation if you ship it for repair and it comes back not working don't waste anymore money, buy brand new one, ECS tuning sells them for under $600, and it is best money you can spent especially for ABS
Old 03-23-2011, 09:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the same procedure (had to work it out myself though at the time). Didnt cost a penny though. Breakers yard, rip apart used module, plug it in, hope bloody light would go off on dash board, passed MOT day after . Job done.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 170 Likes on 149 Posts

Wow, that's a lot of failures. If I had that experience, I also would have purchased a new unit. The ABS module for the Passat was a Bosch 5.3 unit. I had it repaired in September '08 by MM with their 5 year warranty and haven't had any problems since. Maybe the ABS unit for the A6 is a totally different unit with its own failure modes that can't be easily fixed.

I know what you're saying about the washer pump pulling out and the fluid running all over the floor. When I did this service on a co-worker's '00 Passat, that's exactly what happened. But I learned from that experience and did it successfully on my wife's Passat when the module failed.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Where can I find a an ABS module for my 2006 Audi A6 online?
Old 09-11-2012, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by bravozz
Where can I find a an ABS module for my 2006 Audi A6 online?
I got mine at ecstuning.com
Old 09-12-2012, 10:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I looked on that website and they only sale the module with the ABS pump. I went to the dealer and they want to change the pump and the module as well $1700 bucks, but I only need the control mod, what's a proud A6 owner to do?
Old 09-13-2012, 03:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

contact ECS and find out if they do sell just electronic part of the ABS
, but get the part# of your unit (small mirror and flashlight will do), go go google and put your part# and do search , you should able to find for good deal. I know dealer prices are high. you can try getting it repaired and see if that works,
Old 09-13-2012, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Good idea I will try giving them a call.

Quick Reply: DIY: ABS Module replacement in Audi A6