A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Water pump Cause loss of engine power?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 06:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water pump Cause loss of engine power?

my water pump seems to be going in and out. sometime it makes a rattling noise and power in the engine is noticeably less. when the rattling goes away power is normal. i had a mechanic diagnose the problem by ear and that is where i found out it was the water pump. i would think it is the bearing and not the seal when its making the noise

is the water pump related to the amount of power the engine has?
Old 01-28-2010, 06:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Could this also be whats killing my gas mileage ( the rpms seem to get higher than normal when rattling is happening)
Old 01-29-2010, 02:55 AM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Stop driving now. Do a complete timing belt service. A noisy waterpump could fail at any minute, taking the timing belt with it. Seriously. Don't drive the car until it is fixed.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your mechanic must not have very much experience with Audi engines. On the Audi 2.8 and 2.7 biturbo V6s as well as the 3.0 V6 the water pump is driven by the camshaft belt. If the water pump fails the camshaft belt will probably break or skip causing very serious damage to the engine valves and pistons and could destroy the complete engine. As mentioned above you should immediately change the water pump and all the related camshaft belt components.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Peter Badore
Your mechanic must not have very much experience with Audi engines. On the Audi 2.8 and 2.7 biturbo V6s as well as the 3.0 V6 the water pump is driven by the camshaft belt. If the water pump fails the camshaft belt will probably break or skip causing very serious damage to the engine valves and pistons and could destroy the complete engine. As mentioned above you should immediately change the water pump and all the related camshaft belt components.

is there a 2.7L engine that audi makes that isn't bi turbo, i didnt think my engine had two turbos in it, not even one for that matter.

-Also to the other posters, why then would two different mechanics at two different shops recognize the rattling sound as the water pump.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:10 AM
Tech Guru

Originally Posted by pntbllfun
is there a 2.7L engine that audi makes that isn't bi turbo, i didnt think my engine had two turbos in it, not even one for that matter.
2.8 is naturally aspirated
2.7 is turbo

-Also to the other posters, why then would two different mechanics at two different shops recognize the rattling sound as the water pump.
The rattle probably *is* the water pump. If it's noisy, failure (and, at a minimum, damaged valves with it) is right around the corner. This noise can impact performance in a number of ways. The knock sensors can mistake the noise for knock and dial back ignition timing. Wobble in the waterpump changes the bank one exhaust cam timing.

STOP DRIVING THE CAR!
You need to fix this now.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
2.8 is naturally aspirated
2.7 is turbo

The rattle probably *is* the water pump. If it's noisy, failure (and, at a minimum, damaged valves with it) is right around the corner. This noise can impact performance in a number of ways. The knock sensors can mistake the noise for knock and dial back ignition timing. Wobble in the waterpump changes the bank one exhaust cam timing.

STOP DRIVING THE CAR!
You need to fix this now.

I am going to take the car to a shop today. should i have them make an invoice saying the water pump is going bad, then bring that to the guy i bought it from and make his shop repair it.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:11 AM
Tech Guru

If I was my car, I'd either do a full timing belt service myself or have someone else do it. If you bring it back, he will probably do the bare minimum. Bite the bullet and do a full timing belt service.

And stop driving the car.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
If I was my car, I'd either do a full timing belt service myself or have someone else do it. If you bring it back, he will probably do the bare minimum. Bite the bullet and do a full timing belt service.

And stop driving the car.
i am a budding mechanic, is this something i could do with some assistance from a car care teacher i know. it looks like might be very complicated
Old 02-01-2010, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

i am a budding mechanic, is this something i could do with some assistance from a car care teacher i know. it looks like might be very complicated
LOL, Id think a "budding mechanic" would know to not drive the car with a comprimised water pump. Let the pros tackle this one boss. do all all the seals too.

Quick Reply: Water pump Cause loss of engine power?