Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Technical Discussion > Electronics > Telematics Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Notices

Old 03-15-2006, 10:51 PM   #1
Gordo
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 31531

Default Debating whether to get an RNS-E. Help me decide.

So, my friend just got a Honda Accord. I thought, well whatever, I used to have an Accord and it was a reliable albeit boring and frugal car to drive. Well this Accord is a brand new V6 Hybrid with 250hp or something and it's basically got all the Acura bells and whistles on the inside. It's got leather throughout and one of those fancy new touchscreen, voice activated nav systems. I'm like, wow, my 04 S4 is starting to seem rather plain in comparison -- to an Accord!

So I've been looking at an RNS-E nav upgrade for a while now, but I'm not sure whether I'll really use it enough to make the $1500 cost of an upgraded EU->US unit worthwhile. For those of you, who've had it for more than 6 months, does it continue to come in handy, or does the novelty wear off to the point that it becomes expensive eye candy to impress passengers?

Also, is it intuitive to navigate with clunky buttons and dials versus the touchscreens that come with some of the latest NAVs? I'm sure I can use it, but can passengers figure their way around as intuitively as a touchscreen?

I suppose if I knew I'd be able to sell the car for $1k more 4 years from now, I wouldn'e be so hesitant to put it in, but I'm just not sure I'll ever recoup much of the investment, and it's a lot for a nav that's already starting to look a bit long in the tooth.
Gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 02:41 AM   #2
AudiA4B6US
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 86480

Default I still enjoy mine

SD cards are very nice, the navigation works reliable and the MMI buttons are somehow intuitive to use once you got familiar with its logic. On the plus side are no fingerprints on the screen and the OEM look. You won't get voice activation for the navi or anything else for the $1.5k target price. But it's still a very nice system which makes the B6 look like a B7 form the inside while keeping the B6 look on the outside.
AudiA4B6US is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 05:35 AM   #3
Imola Ghost
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 17725

Default Get it you'll and you'll love having it everyday!

todd1010 AT gmail DOT com
Imola Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 05:44 PM   #4
ESFO
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 71038

Default You won't regret it. I've had it for about 8 months and it's still fun to have...

I felt like you did but at some point I realized that this is as good as it gets for us. And it's very good! It's not the best, in every single aspect that you consider, there's a car out there that can do something better or has some feature that yours doesn't. But as a package, for me... there's nothing I'd rather have than my car. And the nav just strengthened my appreciation for my car. For me, it's now complete.

Your friend's Honda has ONE thing that's better than your car (well, two, if gas mileage matters to you). We could write quite the list on what's much better about our car.

Just my 0.02...
ESFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 12:19 PM   #5
TeddyBGame
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 32631

Default 3.5 years with RNS-D and RNS-E...and here's what it comes down to:

<ul><li><a href="http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=180">http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=180</a</li></ul>
- 2003 Vespa ET2 (modified exhaust and carb -- so I can max out at 45MPH)
- John Deere Gator (4x2) for the boy

As of November 2006:

Accessory Add-ons:
(Definition: An item that provides a specific function - in a cyclical nature - and can be removed very..very easily.)
1) OEM winter floor mats
2) OEM rubber trunk mat and cargo net
3) VW Touareg cigarette lighter flashlight
4) Thule roof bars with Evolution 1200 roof box

Upgrades:
(Definition: A [bolt-on/bolt-off] item that enhances the appearance, performance or misc function of your car.)
1) OEM front/rear Euro black Recaro Seats (from a Euro 2003 S6 Avant)
http://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/618112.phtml
2) OEM HID/Xenon (complete) housings (car never came with the Xenon option from the factory)
3) OEM Euro front/rear (avant) beam-style wiper blades/arms (available via www.vagparts.com)
4) OEM B6 S4 Interior auto-dimming black mirror with compass and on/off button
5) OEM Euro blindspot exterior mirrors
6) OEM S6/4.2 exterior lower door trim
7) OEM S4/S6/S8 aluminum mirror housings
8) OEM Euro rear license plate panel from 2002+ facelift avant (slight MODification to US plate required)
9) ?
10) OEM Euro RNS-E DVD Navigation system with MP3, SAT control and TV input
11) Dietz 1417 A/V input to RNS-E
12) Blaupunkt ME3 DVD/CD/MP3/TV Tuner with aftermarket amplified TV antenna in windshield
13) OEM Sirius tuner (special version to work with RNS-E)
14) OEM Phatnoise Phatbox MP3 player (trunk mounted) with custom interface cable to allow Sirius tuner and Phatbox to work together -- cool!!
15) ?
16) BBS RC 17x8 ET35 with Michelin Pilot Sports (summer tires)
17) 2002+ Rear bumper with valance openings for Magnaflow 3" exhaust tips
18) OEM submarine fin roof antenna for SAT / GPS / Cellphone (GSM)
19) OEM Euro gunmetal black avant roof rails
20) 2002+ Climate control faceplate to match faceplate color of RNS-E
21) Walnut wood trim near hazard button (above RNS-E) to match rest of interior wood scheme
22) OEM Euro Avant door panels with integrated sunshades (imported from Germany to match the black leather in my Euro Recaro interior)
23) OEM Euro blacked out front grille (no chrome perimeter)
24) OEM gunmetal black lower rear hatch strip (specific part# for avant vs. sedan)
25) OEM RS6 gunmetal black interior door latches; no need to add any RS6 badges in my car (Thanks Nelson!!!)
26) OEM Euro four spoke walnut wood and black leather (special order via Audi GmbH) multi-function wheel with tip buttons and OEM phone (BT) control
27) Upgraded "618" MF/Tip control module

Coming soon:
- rear mounted removable 7" LCD panel

MODifications:
(Definition: Any permenant change to a part or component of your car that you cannot reverse)
1) Tray under armrest to add aux. cigarette lighter
2) OEM avant CD changer bracket MODified (to fit two large CD changers etc) - now I just use it for Phatbox, OEM SAT tuner and OEM BT module.
3) Exhaust tips MODified to add Magna Flow (#35163) 3" dual walled tip
4) Factory wiring behind Sym I to simplify installation/removal of RNS-E
5) MODified glovebox to support fitment of Blaupunkt ME3 (a biatch to install!!)
6) MODified headlight switch bezel for fitment of GALA switch for "video-in-motion" for playing Blaupunkt ME3 through RNSE
7) MODified stock exhaust and had magnaflow 3" tips welded on (see above)
8) MODified rear Euro license plate surround to house 2nd rear foglight (2001 model only came with one from the factory); US license plate needed to be MODified a bit to fit inside the narrow Euro opening.

RNS-E for C5 A6/S6/allroad/RS6 - your quest starts here - (regularly updated)
<a href="http://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/607331.phtml">OEM submarine fin installed on
TeddyBGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 11:58 PM   #6
Gordo
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 31531

Default Ok, so I bought one. We'll see how it goes!

Gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 11:58 PM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2006, a4, accord, audi, b7, cigarette, euro, forum, honda, license, lighter, plate, rnsd, rnse, screen, touch