Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Technical Discussion > Motors > 4.2 V8 Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Notices

Old 08-24-2006, 03:16 PM   #1
meranamjkr
Account #: 67822

Default 4.2 V8 Chip?

Anyone running MTM or any other chip? What if any differences have you noticed? Any other performance mods you would recommend
meranamjkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 02:29 PM   #2
ub2slw
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 85119

Default Re: Quicker Pick-up

and throttle response. you're biggest gain will come from dropping weight (no pun intended) suspension, wheels, brakes, no spare, battery, ETC
Old 08-30-2006, 02:33 PM   #3
ub2slw
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 85119

Default Here's some more....

This was what I posted a little further down...

I/E/Dp is Intake, Exhaust, and down pipes it's usually the first step in performing your basic performance upgrades; (BPU) from there is a chip. APR is about $500 you want to call them to find a local distro.

Once you've done all the above you can focus on doing the light weight mods..I've removed the spare tire and bought a super light odyssey battery. Since I had to do engine work I'm doing the head work. But I would recommend some light wheels, suspension, and brakes which for me personally I have experienced to be the biggest bang for my buck, BUT they cost the BIGGEST BUCKS. Something like a 17x7 Velox PG-Rev10 that are 11.5lbs per wheel, with lighter suspension and brakes make a huge difference in ALL depts. acceleration, handling, stopping and of course weight.

Timing is handled by the chip, now the cam was the only item I changed my mind on because after installing the cam the ECU would need to be tuned and you're opening a whole new can of worms. better to say on the path than blaze a new one. (none of the chip manuf. have a program for the cam) The piston and valve paths "interfere" with one another (known are an "interference head") so having a cam that had a longer lift or duration may cause a catastrophic engine failure when the chip advances the timing.

I'm having trouble finding the lighter clutch flywheel...when I got it over to the shop the stock unit was completly different from what they thought. So i'm exploring other options. as for a rear limited diff...I would probably not do anything with it unless you've done everything else (including a supercharger) and you're really tracking the car and you can get any speed out of the corners.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:26 PM   #4
meranamjkr
Account #: 67822

Default Re: Quicker Pick-up

WHO TOLD YOU I AM FAT?
meranamjkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 02:19 PM   #5
Dr.quattro
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 16431

Default I was under the impression the stock flywheel is lightweight......

I would talk to the STASiS guys about the rear LSD. They seem to believe they make a difference even on the street.
Blessed by STaSIS with 19" Champion RG40's wrapped in Yokohama Adven A/S, 370mm Alcons, APR snub mount, STaSIS-Ohlin Motorsport coilovers, Hyperco springs (800lb/in front and 1200lb/in rear), STaSIS 4:1 Torsen center differential, GIAC, STaSIS exhaust, Hotchkiss rear sway, K-MAC poly bushings. A cool little STaSIS badge.
Dr.quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement

Tags
42, chip, chipping, v8