Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Community Discussion > Computers Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Notices

Old 08-23-2006, 06:05 PM   #1
Randolph
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 34523

Default How do you install an operating system on to a brand new hard drive?

Ok, I hope this isn't a dumb question but I'm stuck and need help. I thought I knew a fair amount about computers but this is over my head.

Computer-IBM laptop X20

I'll try to be succinct and spare everyone the long story.

The hard drive went bye-bye. I bought a new hard drive and installed it and upgraded the memory. My problem is I don't know how to get the operating system installed on it. I thought if I put in the CD the computer would see it and take it from there but that's not the case. I hear the CD drive spinning for a little then nothing. I'm trying to install Windows XP Pro.

When I go into the BIOS the computer IS recognizing the new memory and the new hard drive.

If I don't go into the BIOS and just wait then I get the "Operating System not found" and it won't do anything else. I went to the IBM (lenovo) website for trouble shooting but they don't have anything about installing an OS onto a new hard drive. And the manual isn't that helpful on this prolem either. TIA

Randolph

87 5KCSTQ
93 928GTS
Randolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 06:21 PM   #2
A4Driver
Account #: 1391

Default Go into the BIOS and make the CD drive the first boot device.

When you reboot, the computer should go to the CD drive first, and the install process should begin.

Now:
Premium Plus, 2.0T, Quattro, Tip, Sport, Deep Sea Blue Pearl
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Then:
2002 3.0, Sport, Quattro, Manual, Denim Blue Pearl
1996 2.8 Quattro,
Manual, Emerald Mica
A4Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 07:54 AM   #3
mike5
Account #: 1214

Default Re: How do you install an operating system on to a brand new hard drive?

Like A4Driver said, make sure you're set to boot from CD first. Also, is the CD a copy or an original? Sometimes people have copies and they are not bootable.

Mike

mike5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 12:33 PM   #4
audiqv8
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 36396

Default Re: How do you install an operating system on to a brand new hard drive?

Go to the following site
http://www.bootdisk.com/
download and make a boot disk with CD support.
Boot the computer with the boot disk and it should also load the CD drivers. Place your winXP pro disk into the CD and install your OS.

Your laptop did not come with a CD. So what type of CD player are you using docking station, USB, the old parallel port??? Do you have the docking station? Perhaps a bios upgrade will allow your laptop to boot from CD.<ul><li><a href="http://www.bootdisk.com/">Bootdisk</a></li></ul>
audiqv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 01:03 PM   #5
85TQC
Account #: 96832

IIRC, the CD-ROM cannot be selected as first boot device in the BIOS, only HDD 0,1,2,3...

To boot from the O/S install disk...

1. Power down the laptop. Ensure it is docked on the media bay securely with install disk loaded.

2. Power it on and repeatedly press the F12 key. This brings up the temp boot device list.

3. Use the up/down arrow to highlight the CD-Rom drive and hit enter.

4. Lookout for the prompt to "Press any key to boot from CD..."

5. Press the spacebar to force booting from CD.

6. Repeat steps 2 to 5 if during the first time, the display was slow to show the prompts.

Hope that helps. Good luck.
85TQC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement