VAG-COM Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't do Throttle body adaptation. Fault Code will not clear (kinda long)

Old 01-24-2007, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't do Throttle body adaptation. Fault Code will not clear (kinda long)

So my battery died this weekend and after I jumped it my car has been running like garbage. The thing idles at like 400rpm, CEL is on, has no power,and basically just runs like crap. So I VAG it and I get the following codes:

17967 - Throttle Body Controller (J338): Error in Basic Setting 35-00 - -

17953 - Throttle Valve Controller: Malfunction
P1545 - 35-00 - -

So I do some searching and find out I need to do a TBA. The only problem is that the 17967 Code will not clear. As soon as I clear it, it comes right back. This is preventing the TBA from running.

Am I missing something or is the throttle body just cooked? Is it just a coincidence that the TB would flake out at the same time the battery died?

1999.5 A4 2.8qm 30v bone stock unless you consider a K&N air filter a mod...
Old 01-24-2007, 05:08 AM
Audiworld Premium Sponsor

Default Sounds like your throttle body or its wiring could be damaged.

<ul><li><a href="http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/throttlebody.html">http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/throttlebody.html</a</li></ul>
Old 01-24-2007, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default does your car have the AHA motor with a throttle cable?

if so, you may be able to get it to adapt. My guess is that you've got some carbon build up near the throttle blade where it sits at its idle stop. You could do one of two things to try to get it to adapt:
1) with the key on, stab the throttle from closed to WOT rapidly about 10 times
2) you could remove the intake duct from the throttle body and clean it

try #1 first just for the hell of it.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I'll try them both out. How should I go about cleaning the TB?

Can i just spray some carb cleaner in there or to i need to get a brush or something in there to scrub the crap off?
Old 01-24-2007, 06:17 AM

Default Ideally you would remove the throttle body from the car,

then use carb cleaner and whatever from both sides until the whole interior looks squeaky clean.

Still, it's you possible you might have a bad TB or a wiring problem. But it doesn't cost much to give the TB a good cleaning..

-Uwe-
Old 01-24-2007, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default agreed on both counts....

The only real pain to removing the TB on a 30v V-6 is getting the 5mm allen bolt out of the left side of the plastic intake pipe.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default How much work is involved in pulling the throttle body out?

I was looking at the chilton manual and it seemed like a real PITA. Removing Vac lines, draining coolant and such. I wouldn't mind but its like 20 degrees here and I gotta work outside in the dark.

Is there any hope in spraying some carb cleaner through the air intake to clean it?

Is there anyway to test the TB electronics while its in the car? Can i pull the connectors and go to town with a multimeter to see if its functional? Id rather not go to the trouble of pulling the thing off just to find out it was fried all along.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:41 AM

Default I doubt you actually need to drain the coolant.

My experience is you'll lose very little when you disconnect the lines at the TB then just plug them with appropriate sized bolts until you're ready to re-install the TB.

I would expect to find some electrical tests in the repair manual for your car.

-Uwe-
Old 01-24-2007, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default here is some more information:

My initial recommendation is to remove the plastic intake boot, and attempt to clean it on the engine.

Also, there is a TSB concerning this, and the text follows:

<i>Group: 24

Number: 03-02

Date: Aug. 5, 2003

Subject:
Engine, Fluctuating Idle or Idle Speed Too Low

Model(s):
A4, A6 with (Eng. code AHA, ATQ)1998 --&gt; 2001

Supersedes T.B. Group 24 number 00-01 dated Oct. 26, 2000 due to change in Models.

Condition

2.8L V6 5V Engine idle fluctuates or is too low at times.

May be caused by contaminants (dirt, oil) on interior surfaces of throttle valve control module -J338-.

Service

- Remove intake boot from throttle valve control module -J338- housing.

- Inspect interior surface of throttle valve control module housing and throttle plate for dirt/oil film.

If interior of throttle valve control module is dirty/oily:

DO NOT replace throttle valve control control module -J338- for this condition. Over a long period of time it is possible that dirt can accumulate on the inner surfaces.

- Clean interior surfaces of throttle valve control module (on both sides of throttle plate) with a soft clean cloth.

- For heavier deposits of dirt/oil film, apply Wynn's(R) X-Tend(R) V.I.C Combustion Chamber Cleaner: Part No: 61510 (U.S.), Part No: 61512 (Can.) on a soft clean cloth then, clean interior surfaces using this cloth (one can of cleaner will do many vehicles, therefore it is considered shop supply).

NOTE: It is not necessary to remove the throttle valve control module -J338- housing to clean.

- Reinstall intake boot.

- Perform throttle valve control module -J338- adaptation (see group 24 of appropriate Repair Manual).

- Quality check repair.

If throttle valve control module adaptation cannot be performed after several attempts (see Repair group 24 of appropriate Repair Manual for proper adaptation conditions):

- Replace throttle valve control module -J338-

If interior of throttle valve control module -J338- housing is not dirty:

- Reinstall intake boot.

- Continue with diagnosis, (see appropriate section in Repair Manual CD-ROM).</i>
Old 01-24-2007, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Excellent info, I'll try this first. Thanks for all your help guys.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can't do Throttle body adaptation. Fault Code will not clear (kinda long)