Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Technical Discussion > Electronics > Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Notices

Old 01-03-2006, 01:58 PM   #1
John Stahmann
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 158

Default Audi IPod adapter + SAT works!! - EASY mod

For those who didn't see my earlier posts about my install of the Audi IPod adapter - the question has been "can you use the IPod adapter and keep Satellite radio at the same time?". The answer is yes.

So you know, my car is a 2005.5 A4 2.0 sedan. I have the Symphony II radio with Bose.

In the Audi IPod adapter instructions it tells you that you need to remove 3 wires in positions 18, 19, and 20 in the harness connected to the rear of the head unit. These 3 wires are replaced by 3 wires in the new harness for the IPod adapter. In the instructions you are told to remove the 3 wires using the Audi Special Tool, and then to insert the new wires in the spaces vacated by the old wires. Instead of removing the wires, you simply need to crimp the new 3 wires to the existing 3 wires and you will be able to have both Satellite radio and IPod independently. The 3 wires are audio wires and do not have any effect on other functions.

For those with the Symphony II radio the wire color matches are as follows:

Factory Color - Adapter Color - Connector
Blue - Green - 18
Purple - Yellow - 19
White - Grey - 20

So you crimp the blue wire in postion 18 to the green wire in the Adapter harness, the purple wire in position 19 to the yellow wire in the Adapter harness, and the white wire in position 20 to the grey wire in the Adapter harness. All other wires go into the postions described in the Audi IPod Adapter instructions.

This eliminates the need for the Audi Special Tool, and gives you both SAT and IPod.

Hopefully I explained it well enough that others can do the same.
Fun in the Snow

Previous Audis:
1975 Audi 100 ls
1998.5 A4 1.8T quattro - Brilliant Yellow
2000 Neiman Marcus TT
2000 TT 180 quattro - Silver
1999 A6 2.8 quattro - White (Stolen)
2000 S4 - Imola Yellow
2003 A4 1.8TQ Avant - Atlas Grey
2005.5 A4 2.0T quattro Sedan DTM - Light Silver/Black

Bonneville 130 Club member 2001
Bonneville 150 Club member 2007
John Stahmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 02:20 PM   #2
crakerhead
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 41277

Default good deal man, thanks for tip, i know it'll be useful to me in a few weeks

1998 Audi A6 2.8Q Tiptronic Sedan Black
1994 Audi 100CS ATQ Moro Blue out of commission
1990 Audi 80 ATQ Silver out of commission
crakerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 02:50 PM   #3
TeddyBGame
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 32631

Default some questions...

so are you telling me that you just spliced the two sets of wires together behind your Sym II?

so I guess you are telling me that those three wires that were originally installed to support the audio input from your SAT tuner...get spliced into the corresponding wires from the audi ipod adaptor harness.

I was always under the assumption that you needed to interface the SAT tuner in this fashion via using the audio pass-through. This is what I have done (and several others) who wanted to run the phatbox and the SAT tuner together.

Thanks for your response.
- 2003 Vespa ET2 (modified exhaust and carb -- so I can max out at 45MPH)
- John Deere Gator (4x2) for the boy

As of November 2006:

Accessory Add-ons:
(Definition: An item that provides a specific function - in a cyclical nature - and can be removed very..very easily.)
1) OEM winter floor mats
2) OEM rubber trunk mat and cargo net
3) VW Touareg cigarette lighter flashlight
4) Thule roof bars with Evolution 1200 roof box

Upgrades:
(Definition: A [bolt-on/bolt-off] item that enhances the appearance, performance or misc function of your car.)
1) OEM front/rear Euro black Recaro Seats (from a Euro 2003 S6 Avant)
http://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/618112.phtml
2) OEM HID/Xenon (complete) housings (car never came with the Xenon option from the factory)
3) OEM Euro front/rear (avant) beam-style wiper blades/arms (available via www.vagparts.com)
4) OEM B6 S4 Interior auto-dimming black mirror with compass and on/off button
5) OEM Euro blindspot exterior mirrors
6) OEM S6/4.2 exterior lower door trim
7) OEM S4/S6/S8 aluminum mirror housings
8) OEM Euro rear license plate panel from 2002+ facelift avant (slight MODification to US plate required)
9) ?
10) OEM Euro RNS-E DVD Navigation system with MP3, SAT control and TV input
11) Dietz 1417 A/V input to RNS-E
12) Blaupunkt ME3 DVD/CD/MP3/TV Tuner with aftermarket amplified TV antenna in windshield
13) OEM Sirius tuner (special version to work with RNS-E)
14) OEM Phatnoise Phatbox MP3 player (trunk mounted) with custom interface cable to allow Sirius tuner and Phatbox to work together -- cool!!
15) ?
16) BBS RC 17x8 ET35 with Michelin Pilot Sports (summer tires)
17) 2002+ Rear bumper with valance openings for Magnaflow 3" exhaust tips
18) OEM submarine fin roof antenna for SAT / GPS / Cellphone (GSM)
19) OEM Euro gunmetal black avant roof rails
20) 2002+ Climate control faceplate to match faceplate color of RNS-E
21) Walnut wood trim near hazard button (above RNS-E) to match rest of interior wood scheme
22) OEM Euro Avant door panels with integrated sunshades (imported from Germany to match the black leather in my Euro Recaro interior)
23) OEM Euro blacked out front grille (no chrome perimeter)
24) OEM gunmetal black lower rear hatch strip (specific part# for avant vs. sedan)
25) OEM RS6 gunmetal black interior door latches; no need to add any RS6 badges in my car (Thanks Nelson!!!)
26) OEM Euro four spoke walnut wood and black leather (special order via Audi GmbH) multi-function wheel with tip buttons and OEM phone (BT) control
27) Upgraded "618" MF/Tip control module

Coming soon:
- rear mounted removable 7" LCD panel

MODifications:
(Definition: Any permenant change to a part or component of your car that you cannot reverse)
1) Tray under armrest to add aux. cigarette lighter
2) OEM avant CD changer bracket MODified (to fit two large CD changers etc) - now I just use it for Phatbox, OEM SAT tuner and OEM BT module.
3) Exhaust tips MODified to add Magna Flow (#35163) 3" dual walled tip
4) Factory wiring behind Sym I to simplify installation/removal of RNS-E
5) MODified glovebox to support fitment of Blaupunkt ME3 (a biatch to install!!)
6) MODified headlight switch bezel for fitment of GALA switch for "video-in-motion" for playing Blaupunkt ME3 through RNSE
7) MODified stock exhaust and had magnaflow 3" tips welded on (see above)
8) MODified rear Euro license plate surround to house 2nd rear foglight (2001 model only came with one from the factory); US license plate needed to be MODified a bit to fit inside the narrow Euro opening.

RNS-E for C5 A6/S6/allroad/RS6 - your quest starts here - (regularly updated)
<a href="http://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/607331.phtml">OEM submarine fin installed on
TeddyBGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 03:57 PM   #4
AudiA4B6US
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 86480

Default more questions...

What you have done assumes that both devices (iPod and SAT receiver) tollerate an incoming signal on their audio out. What you are doing may work now, and with the low voltage may not cause initial damage. But if it does work long term is questionable. By splicing the wires you are also changing the resistance which is most likely changing the audio quality of both devices.

The Audi SAT receiver has an audio pass-though which is controlled via the SAT button on the head unit. This way you can connect a second source (e.g. CDC, iPod, PB) without having a signal coming in through the audio out of the SAT receiver. That's what the three wires are for.

As I said, it may work now but it's definitely not as the Audi engineer has designed it...
AudiA4B6US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 04:11 PM   #5
uber_ar
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 75657

Default I have been examining this issue and conclude the proper way is to use the sat pass thru

feature. Jumpering into the audio path is likely to do a number of things to the connected devices. The op amps in each unit will likely have to work harder to overcome the resistance of both connected devices which means additional heat on them and likely failure. Audi accounted for the serial connection of the devices by enabling audio pass thru on the sat tuner - why not use it correctly?
uber_ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 04:45 PM   #6
TeddyBGame
AudiWorld Super User

Default ditto.

As of November 2006:

Accessory Add-ons:
(Definition: An item that provides a specific function - in a cyclical nature - and can be removed very..very easily.)
1) OEM winter floor mats

Upgrades:
(Definition: A [bolt-on/bolt-off] item that enhances the appearance, performance or misc function of your car.)
2) OEM HID/Xenon (complete) housings (car never came with the Xenon option from the factory)
3) OEM Euro front/rear (avant) beam-style wiper blades/arms (available via www.vagparts.com)
8) OEM Euro rear license plate panel from 2002+ facelift avant (slight MODification to US plate required)
9) ?
12) Blaupunkt ME3 DVD/CD/MP3/TV Tuner with aftermarket amplified TV antenna in windshield
14) OEM Phatnoise Phatbox MP3 player (trunk mounted) with custom interface cable to allow Sirius tuner and Phatbox to work together -- cool!!
15) ?
21) Walnut wood trim near hazard button (above RNS-E) to match rest of interior wood scheme
22) OEM Euro Avant door panels with integrated sunshades (imported from Germany to match the black leather in my Euro Recaro interior)
24) OEM gunmetal black lower rear hatch strip (specific part# for avant vs. sedan)
25) OEM RS6 gunmetal black interior door latches; no need to add any RS6 badges in my car (Thanks Nelson!!!)
26) OEM Euro four spoke walnut wood and black leather (special order via Audi GmbH) multi-function wheel with tip buttons and OEM phone (BT) control

Coming soon:

MODifications:
(Definition: Any permenant change to a part or component of your car that you cannot reverse)
2) OEM avant CD changer bracket MODified (to fit two large CD changers etc) - now I just use it for Phatbox, OEM SAT tuner and OEM BT module.
5) MODified glovebox to support fitment of Blaupunkt ME3 (a biatch to install!!)
6) MODified headlight switch bezel for fitment of GALA switch for "video-in-motion" for playing Blaupunkt ME3 through RNSE
8) MODified rear Euro license plate surround to house 2nd rear foglight (2001 model only came with one from the factory); US license plate needed to be MODified a bit to fit inside the narrow Euro opening.

<a href="http://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/607331.phtml">OEM submarine fin installed on
Old 01-03-2006, 04:53 PM   #7
TeddyBGame
AudiWorld Super User

Default i'll have some detailed instructions/pix on how to do this in a few days...

..it's really quite easy.

Just add three wires to the the T8s connector at the SAT tuner and route those up behind the SymII/HU etc and splice those into the three original wires coming from the audi ipod adaptor. The existing three audio wires for the SAT tuner should remain intact in their original place in the 20 pin connector (#18, 19 and 20).

Will cost you another $20 in parts.

Stay tuned.
-ted

As of November 2006:

Accessory Add-ons:
1) OEM winter floor mats

Upgrades:
9) ?
15) ?

Coming soon:

MODifications:

Old 01-03-2006, 07:01 PM   #8
John Stahmann
AudiWorld Super User

Default So what was your question?

Didn't see one in your post.
Fun in the Snow

Previous Audis:
1975 Audi 100 ls
2000 Neiman Marcus TT
2000 S4 - Imola Yellow

Old 01-03-2006, 07:06 PM   #9
John Stahmann
AudiWorld Super User

Default Nice, but in reality that's not the way Audi designed it, either.

The way Audi designed it was to do exactly as the instructions say and have the IPod act as a CD Changer, but you lose SAT when you do it.

With the heat comment, you're assuming that both sources are working at the same time, which they are not.

Both my way and your theory are workarounds to the approved method.
Fun in the Snow

Previous Audis:
1975 Audi 100 ls
2000 Neiman Marcus TT
2000 S4 - Imola Yellow

Old 01-03-2006, 07:26 PM   #10
AudiA4B6US
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 86480

Default Correct, there wasn't a question.

Except those to myself if your setup can work long term.
AudiA4B6US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2006, a4, a6, adapter, audi, b6, dice, iaudir, ipod, modification, mods, mount, pass, s4, sat, sound