Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A6 / S6 / RS 6 > A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Notices

A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Old 03-19-2006, 08:35 PM   #1
TeddyBGame
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 32631

Default Fish On!!! OEM Submarine fin installed in 2001 Avant

...anyone who has spent any time on deep sea fishing will recognize that expression.

Well, I finally had some spare cycles this weekend to remove my factory installed whip antenna (supports AM/FM and cellphone) with the 2005+ OEM submarine fin (different from the 2003/2004 "sharkfin" version). With two small boys at home...it is getting increasingly hard to find time to complete these upgrades.

I spent two hours one night removing the d-pillar trim (avant only) and two hours this weekend doing the actual swap and running the wires. I didn't need to remove the headliner...just tilt/bend it down a bit to unsrew the parts etc. Thanks to Lee Hicks (NSX jr) -- as usual -- for helping me with the ongoing research, related part#'s and general advice...for this upgrade.

Pros:
- got rid of that aftermarket sirius antenna ("hockey puck") that was hooked up to my OEM Sirius tuner (improved reception from within my garage as well. Cool)
- consolidated my GPS antenna up here as well; consolidated GSM/Cell connection (not sure I have a need for it)
- upgraded the exterior look of my Avant to look more current. If I could compare my avant to dog breeding...then that would make my car a pure blood...mutt!
- didn't need to drill a larger whole in my roof to accommodate this new antenna. The german's never cease to amaze me. My 2001 Avant shares the exact same mount hole (actually a 1"x1" square) with a 2006 B7. That sure makes upgrades like this....less painless.
- does not interfere with my Thule Evolution 1200 roof box

Cons:
- lost AM reception completely; FM is fine. In the avant, the roof whip covers AM/FM and rear glass covers FM. I think there is a way to reroute the AM signals through the diversity switching system to regain AM. Not sure yet. Either way, I don't use AM...nor do I care for it. Stay tuned.

Parts list:
1) oem fin antenna (part#4F5-035-503-H) - mine came from a B7 Avant (cost: $80 - found one used; a new one costs about $200+ from the dealer etc.)
1a) had the fin "cap" painted by Bernardi Audi (thanks to Seth Marshall for the help) -- easy to remove prior to painting with a 8 tiny torx screws.
2) 2 sets of 2M oem neutral fakra/smb cables from fin to SAT tuner (cost: $20 each; see link below)
3) 1 set of 5M oem neutral fakra/smb cable from fin to RNSE (cost: $25; see link below)
4) 1 set of 5M red/pink fakra/smb-to-fme connector for Cellphone/GSM/Onstar telematics etc (via seller in ebay.de). Not sure I'll use this for anything..but it couldn't hurt to have it hooked up for future use. (cost: $30; see link below)
Total: Roughly $160

Some learnings:
1) oem whip (none GPS version) is actually bolted on from the top...not the bottom. You just need to pop off the plastic cap and there will be hex nut that you will need to unscrew (took me 90 minutes to figure that out). Pretty easy...but all the ETKA and info in the Bentley manual told me othewise.
2) Use the right tool...for the right job. Interior trim removal tools from zdmak.com were very handy.
3) Seems like all the fin antennas on the 2005+ audi's (C6, D3, B7 etc..etc) support gps/sat/gsm but the AM/FM antenna's are built into the rear glass (sedan or avant)
4) see thread below....and read all the related links/threads for more background

Stay tuned for detailed installation pix/pdf via www.nsxjr.com

Enjoy!
-ted

PS: Also pictured is my euro post-facelift avant license plate frame (hand delivered from Berlin by a coworker....for $130) and the euro rear beam-style aero wiper (via vagparts.com).

- 2003 Vespa ET2 (modified exhaust and carb -- so I can max out at 45MPH)
- John Deere Gator (4x2) for the boy

As of November 2006:

Accessory Add-ons:
(Definition: An item that provides a specific function - in a cyclical nature - and can be removed very..very easily.)
1) OEM winter floor mats
2) OEM rubber trunk mat and cargo net
3) VW Touareg cigarette lighter flashlight
4) Thule roof bars with Evolution 1200 roof box

Upgrades:
(Definition: A [bolt-on/bolt-off] item that enhances the appearance, performance or misc function of your car.)
1) OEM front/rear Euro black Recaro Seats (from a Euro 2003 S6 Avant)
http://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/618112.phtml
2) OEM HID/Xenon (complete) housings (car never came with the Xenon option from the factory)
3) OEM Euro front/rear (avant) beam-style wiper blades/arms (available via www.vagparts.com)
4) OEM B6 S4 Interior auto-dimming black mirror with compass and on/off button
5) OEM Euro blindspot exterior mirrors
6) OEM S6/4.2 exterior lower door trim
7) OEM S4/S6/S8 aluminum mirror housings
8) OEM Euro rear license plate panel from 2002+ facelift avant (slight MODification to US plate required)
9) ?
10) OEM Euro RNS-E DVD Navigation system with MP3, SAT control and TV input
11) Dietz 1417 A/V input to RNS-E
12) Blaupunkt ME3 DVD/CD/MP3/TV Tuner with aftermarket amplified TV antenna in windshield
13) OEM Sirius tuner (special version to work with RNS-E)
14) OEM Phatnoise Phatbox MP3 player (trunk mounted) with custom interface cable to allow Sirius tuner and Phatbox to work together -- cool!!
15) ?
16) BBS RC 17x8 ET35 with Michelin Pilot Sports (summer tires)
17) 2002+ Rear bumper with valance openings for Magnaflow 3" exhaust tips
18) OEM submarine fin roof antenna for SAT / GPS / Cellphone (GSM)
19) OEM Euro gunmetal black avant roof rails
20) 2002+ Climate control faceplate to match faceplate color of RNS-E
21) Walnut wood trim near hazard button (above RNS-E) to match rest of interior wood scheme
22) OEM Euro Avant door panels with integrated sunshades (imported from Germany to match the black leather in my Euro Recaro interior)
23) OEM Euro blacked out front grille (no chrome perimeter)
24) OEM gunmetal black lower rear hatch strip (specific part# for avant vs. sedan)
25) OEM RS6 gunmetal black interior door latches; no need to add any RS6 badges in my car (Thanks Nelson!!!)
26) OEM Euro four spoke walnut wood and black leather (special order via Audi GmbH) multi-function wheel with tip buttons and OEM phone (BT) control
27) Upgraded "618" MF/Tip control module

Coming soon:
- rear mounted removable 7" LCD panel

MODifications:
(Definition: Any permenant change to a part or component of your car that you cannot reverse)
1) Tray under armrest to add aux. cigarette lighter
2) OEM avant CD changer bracket MODified (to fit two large CD changers etc) - now I just use it for Phatbox, OEM SAT tuner and OEM BT module.
3) Exhaust tips MODified to add Magna Flow (#35163) 3" dual walled tip
4) Factory wiring behind Sym I to simplify installation/removal of RNS-E
5) MODified glovebox to support fitment of Blaupunkt ME3 (a biatch to install!!)
6) MODified headlight switch bezel for fitment of GALA switch for "video-in-motion" for playing Blaupunkt ME3 through RNSE
7) MODified stock exhaust and had magnaflow 3" tips welded on (see above)
8) MODified rear Euro license plate surround to house 2nd rear foglight (2001 model only came with one from the factory); US license plate needed to be MODified a bit to fit inside the narrow Euro opening.

RNS-E for C5 A6/S6/allroad/RS6 - your quest starts here - (regularly updated)
<a href="http://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/607331.phtml">OEM submarine fin installed on
TeddyBGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 03:10 AM   #2
RS6 LANA
Account #: 58617

Default WOOT! Congrats Ted. Don't you love it? It really does change the look.

Great writeup too. Can't wait to see the PDF of the install. I think you and I are the only ones so far who did this upgrade. I'm sure others will soon follow once they see your PDF.

Rings! I need MORE Rings!!!
2003 Audi RS6 Misano Red (my pig)
2003 Lexus GX-470 (wife's pig)
2003 Audi S6 Avant (GBNF)
RS6 LANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 04:04 AM   #3
StoneMan
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 47743

Default Looking good Teddy!!

StoneMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 04:06 AM   #4
Boston Driver
AudiWorld Expert
Account #: 69482

Default Ted, looks great! Congrats!

Old 03-20-2006, 05:32 AM   #5
Audi Escargot
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 106048

Default AM solutions?

Looks great. I'll be staying tuned for your suggestions for someone who wants to keep some AM capability.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:35 AM   #6
A4AdMan
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 75826

Default Wow.... nice work Teddy.

And think from a cosmetic standpoint you just made your '01 look like an '04.
What I've done to it: Limited Edition 25th Anniversary S4 18" Wheels | Milltek Exhaust | H-Sport S4 Sway Bars | Bilstein Sport Shocks | Eibach Pro Kit Springs | S4 Front Bumper | S4 Upper and Lower Grilles | S4 Polished Aluminum Mirrors | S4 Door Blades | S4 Replica Spoiler | Zimmerman Rotors | Hawk HPS Pads | 3M Carbon Black 50% Tint | Hoen H-11 Xeonmatch Fog Bulbs | Tinted Side Markers
Miles: 98,500
B6 A4 3.0 AudiWorld Member Database
A4AdMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 07:36 AM   #7
GBW
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 81787

Default Very Cool! What are you going to do about the AM?

While I rarely use AM, I do on occasion use it, and on resale I would think you'd want that to work....but it looks great!
Ming Blue Pearl | Melange Ambiente Interior | Premium, Cold Weather, Sport and Preferred Luxury Packages Performance: GIAC X Chip | Hotchkis H-Sport Sway Bars | Audi Sport Suspension | 4.2 Polished Sport Wheels 17x8 ET35 | 235/45WR-17 Yokahama sDrive Tires| Show: S6 Polished Aluminum Mirrors | 4.2 Door Blades | RS6 Spoiler | Magnaflow Tips| Hella Smoked Tails Comfort: Euro Blind Spot Mirror | PhatNoise | Auxiliary Cigarette Lighter | Coin Holder

2000 A4 1.8t 5 Speed Manual (track beast):
Light Silver Clearcoat | Opal Gray Ambiente Interior | quattro | Sport Steering Wheel Performance: GIAC Chip | PureMotorsports Front Stress Bar | Hotchkis H-Sport Sway Bars | Pimpin' A8 Polished 17x8 Wheels | 225/45-17 BFGoodrich g-Force Sport Tires | Comfort: PhatNoise | OEM Heated Seats
GBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 09:09 AM   #9
TeddyBGame
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 32631

Default If you have onstar...just be warned that there is a GPS splitter somewhere..

in your headliner that you'll need to connect to. It shouldn't be a big deal....just do your homework with the ETKA and bentley manual.

- 2003 Vespa ET2 (modified exhaust and carb -- so I can max out at 45MPH)
- John Deere Gator (4x2) for the boy

As of November 2006:

Accessory Add-ons:
(Definition: An item that provides a specific function - in a cyclical nature - and can be removed very..very easily.)
1) OEM winter floor mats
2) OEM rubber trunk mat and cargo net
3) VW Touareg cigarette lighter flashlight
4) Thule roof bars with Evolution 1200 roof box

Upgrades:
(Definition: A [bolt-on/bolt-off] item that enhances the appearance, performance or misc function of your car.)
1) OEM front/rear Euro black Recaro Seats (from a Euro 2003 S6 Avant)
http://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/618112.phtml
2) OEM HID/Xenon (complete) housings (car never came with the Xenon option from the factory)
3) OEM Euro front/rear (avant) beam-style wiper blades/arms (available via www.vagparts.com)
4) OEM B6 S4 Interior auto-dimming black mirror with compass and on/off button
5) OEM Euro blindspot exterior mirrors
6) OEM S6/4.2 exterior lower door trim
7) OEM S4/S6/S8 aluminum mirror housings
8) OEM Euro rear license plate panel from 2002+ facelift avant (slight MODification to US plate required)
9) ?
10) OEM Euro RNS-E DVD Navigation system with MP3, SAT control and TV input
11) Dietz 1417 A/V input to RNS-E
12) Blaupunkt ME3 DVD/CD/MP3/TV Tuner with aftermarket amplified TV antenna in windshield
13) OEM Sirius tuner (special version to work with RNS-E)
14) OEM Phatnoise Phatbox MP3 player (trunk mounted) with custom interface cable to allow Sirius tuner and Phatbox to work together -- cool!!
15) ?
16) BBS RC 17x8 ET35 with Michelin Pilot Sports (summer tires)
17) 2002+ Rear bumper with valance openings for Magnaflow 3" exhaust tips
18) OEM submarine fin roof antenna for SAT / GPS / Cellphone (GSM)
19) OEM Euro gunmetal black avant roof rails
20) 2002+ Climate control faceplate to match faceplate color of RNS-E
21) Walnut wood trim near hazard button (above RNS-E) to match rest of interior wood scheme
22) OEM Euro Avant door panels with integrated sunshades (imported from Germany to match the black leather in my Euro Recaro interior)
23) OEM Euro blacked out front grille (no chrome perimeter)
24) OEM gunmetal black lower rear hatch strip (specific part# for avant vs. sedan)
25) OEM RS6 gunmetal black interior door latches; no need to add any RS6 badges in my car (Thanks Nelson!!!)
26) OEM Euro four spoke walnut wood and black leather (special order via Audi GmbH) multi-function wheel with tip buttons and OEM phone (BT) control
27) Upgraded "618" MF/Tip control module

Coming soon:
- rear mounted removable 7" LCD panel

MODifications:
(Definition: Any permenant change to a part or component of your car that you cannot reverse)
1) Tray under armrest to add aux. cigarette lighter
2) OEM avant CD changer bracket MODified (to fit two large CD changers etc) - now I just use it for Phatbox, OEM SAT tuner and OEM BT module.
3) Exhaust tips MODified to add Magna Flow (#35163) 3" dual walled tip
4) Factory wiring behind Sym I to simplify installation/removal of RNS-E
5) MODified glovebox to support fitment of Blaupunkt ME3 (a biatch to install!!)
6) MODified headlight switch bezel for fitment of GALA switch for "video-in-motion" for playing Blaupunkt ME3 through RNSE
7) MODified stock exhaust and had magnaflow 3" tips welded on (see above)
8) MODified rear Euro license plate surround to house 2nd rear foglight (2001 model only came with one from the factory); US license plate needed to be MODified a bit to fit inside the narrow Euro opening.

RNS-E for C5 A6/S6/allroad/RS6 - your quest starts here - (regularly updated)
<a href="http://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/607331.phtml">OEM submarine fin installed on
TeddyBGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 09:21 AM   #10
5speed6 v.2
Account #: 44347

Default No Onstar, but the AM is a concern for me...

...in the TriState area, I listen to channel 1010 occasionally for their traffic reports.
5speed6  v.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement

Tags
035, 4f5, 503, antenna, audi, bernardi, black, caps, dolphin, license, mirror, plate, s3, sharkfin, style, submarine