A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maintenance on '06-08 A8

Old 09-13-2013, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maintenance on '06-08 A8

Good morning audiworld. I am seriously thinking about buying an A8 and just have a question or two. I currently have two BMW's, a 740i and a 530i. I perform all the maintenace work myself, which, for the most part, is simple and straight forward. How hard is it to work on the A8 for the simple garage mechanic? The BMW forums would lead me to believe that the Audi is a bear to work on because the components are so tightly packed into the engine bay. So I would like to hear it directly from the Audi enthusiasts. Are these cars hard to work on?
Old 09-13-2013, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome! Go and buy one right now if it is so urgent.

Your friends may be right comparing A8 with smaller BMW's. Not sure how that would go with 7's with V8 engines. Anyways, there are some challenges but all is doable. I would buy 2007 and younger. It is better engine, but also maintenance wise easier oil change and no timing belt. Bottom line is that there is not much maintenance at all. You won't be sorry. It is great car.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by mishar

Your friends may be right comparing A8 with smaller BMW's. Not sure how that would go with 7's with V8 engines. Anyways, there are some challenges but all is doable..
Not sure what you mean in the quote above. There is certainly no urgency. Just looking around right now.

So there is no timing belt in a 2007 or older? Does it use a chain? Is the timing belt prone to failure or is it just the fact that its difficult to get to?

I'm looking at a 2008 with 50k miles.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by jblindy
Not sure what you mean in the quote above. There is certainly no urgency. Just looking around right now.

So there is no timing belt in a 2007 or older? Does it use a chain? Is the timing belt prone to failure or is it just the fact that its difficult to get to?

I'm looking at a 2008 with 50k miles.
Well, four posts in two treads looked urgent to me.

2007 and younger has timing chains, no maintenance required. Timing belt has to be replaced at 85K miles and with it water pump, thermostat and tensioners. Not cheap.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

[QUOTE=mishar;24487541]Well, four posts in two treads looked urgent to me. QUOTE]

LOL, the posts in the other thread were an accident, I didn't want to hijack another guys thread with a seperate question that didn't relate to his thread. I was posting from phone, thus the double post.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Also had a 740 and you'll like the A8

I too had a 740 and the A8 is a bit tougher in certain things, and much easier in others. For instance the engine bay is tight on the A8 and changing brakes and oil is easier on the BMW. Other typical maintenance is about the same, plugs, air filter, cabin filter, etc. The advantage the Audi has is the ability to access the software. Ross-Tech makes a software and ODB cable product called VCDS that quit nearly turns your laptop into the power typically know only to dealers. Want to lower the A8 suspension (my favorite), change the codes in the adaptive air suspension and you can drop the ride; 10, 20 or 30+mm or anywhere in between in 15+minutes. Only way to do that with the BMW is with $$$, time and swapping out springs. I've done that. Want to deactivate the annoying seat belt chime, no problem change the software. Want to turn on the ability to open and close windows via the remote, there is software patch for that. The list goes on, but you get the idea.

The Audi is much more dependable as well. No missing pixels, water pump failures, power steering hoses, window regulators, cam position sensors, O2 sensors, cat converters, etc. that plagued the 740 (e38). While not perfect, the A8 is much more reliable, especially in the later years. I still wouldn't own one without an extended warranty however, as the repairs are $$$ if dealer is needed; like trunk lift motor, air suspension, etc. Many may disagree about ext warranties but they have paid for themselves in my experience.

The way the Audi is put together is extremely nice and after some time, you get use to how they do things with their clips and trim pieces, etc.

The down side of the A8 when it comes to DIY is the smaller community. What I mean by that is you can finds several boards and hundreds of DIYers on the BMW sites that have done or can answer questions before you begin a task.

While there are some really helpful, talented and knowledgeable people in the Audi community (I found this board to most helpful) the number of incidents is simply fewer. The lower production runs of A8s also contributes to this issue (there are fewer A8s than 7-series in the US). In addition, somewhat like the MB community, many of the owners would prefer that someone else do the work on their cars. More BMW guys are more DIY or car guys. Again, fantastic group here, but there are simply more of them in the BMW world.

Coming from the 740 (and I loved mine) this is a better car in many ways. It does what the 7 (e38) did and better. It's comfortable, engine power is throughout the band not only after 3.5K rpm like the 740, it has the nicer interior than BMW or MB and the lack of everyone else having one is a plus.

Suggest you look for 2007+ as Mishar suggested sans-timing belt. Seek out a sport if you can find it; tighter suspension and paddle shifters (not sure if they are standard on the '07) the backup camera on 07+ is also best in class for '07.

If you are comfortable doing the work on your 7, over time you will be the same on A8...

Hope this helps.
Attached Images  
Old 09-13-2013, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yep, done the pixel repair on my car, and I'm gonna have to do it soon to my wife's car. I have a spare water pump with metal impeller along with a full cooling system rebuild just waiting in the garage. I've had to replace the water cooled alternator in my car ($$Ouch$$) I've also done the high pressure steering hose on my wife's car. But all in all, our two BMW's have been relatively painless.

Thanks for the informative post. That's the kind of information I was looking for. Knowing to stay away from the 08 model is helpful as well. Why did Audi choose to go with a timeing belt instead of the chain?

Very nice e38 you had. Mine is alpine white with the tan interior.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by jblindy
Knowing to stay away from the 08 model is helpful as well. Why did Audi choose to go with a timeing belt instead of the chain?
You misunderstood something. All 2007 to 2010 have same FSI 4 valve engine with timing chains. 2003 to 2006 have BFM 5 valve engine with timing belt.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yes, I reread your initial post and I did misunderstand it. That's good, because the one I'm looking at is a 2008.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mishar
Haha this had me cracking up. Great way to start my Saturday! :-D

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Maintenance on '06-08 A8