GOO

Old 01-31-2014, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GOO

My wife drives a 2012 Audi TTS (2.0 TFSI ) 10 minutes to work and 10 minutes home each day. The first time I added oil I was surprised to find a full 8 oz cup of white GOO had collected on and under the fill cap. I found it accumulates at the rate of 1/2 shot class (20 ml / 1 oz) every couple of weeks. I believe this moisture will eventually destroy metallic elements within the engine.
Both the local dealer and Audi USA have told me this is strictly my problem and results from the manner we use the car. I would like to hear from, and to find out, #1 If other 2.0 TFSI owners think this is a problem and #2 If they have had similar problems and what the response of Audi has been. Thanks...vance
Attached Images  
Old 01-31-2014, 05:11 PM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Water vapor. VERY common in cold weather. You NEED to let that car warm up and run long enough to burn the water off. Shame on Audi for saying it's "your problem".. They should coach you to avoid such repeated short trips at all costs.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Be sure the crankcase vent system is functioning and that all the hoses and breather valve are not clogged up with that goo. If it cant breath it will not be able to pull out water vapors as they boil off.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Kris Hansen
Water vapor. VERY common in cold weather. You NEED to let that car warm up and run long enough to burn the water off. Shame on Audi for saying it's "your problem".. They should coach you to avoid such repeated short trips at all costs.
Kris...1st...Thanks for responding. Audi has told me repeatedly that I need to drive the car for a time long enough to burn this off. I understand this would be ideal...but it's not reality. I don't remember receiving a disclaimer when I purchased this car "Do not buy this car if you're only going to drive it 10 minutes to work". My wife has made this same commute for 11 years in 4 other vehicles and we have never had this problem. Audi and every other manufacturer tests (or should test) their cars in various environments including cold weather, desert etc extensively before releasing these cars into production. I have suggested to Audi that perhaps a different (hotter)thermostat would allow this car to burn off this moisture. I timed how long the car took to warm up to full operating temperature last night (44 degrees F). In 8 minutes of idling it never came up to full operating temp. It took 5 more minutes of driving for the needle to reach the normal range.

At the end of the day the car should perform irregardless of whether or not people make a 10 minute trip or a 2 hour trip.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
Be sure the crankcase vent system is functioning and that all the hoses and breather valve are not clogged up with that goo. If it cant breath it will not be able to pull out water vapors as they boil off.
Pro...Thanks for responding. I end up spending about 10 minutes a week cleaning this GOO out of the filler area and cap each week. I have owned several Jaguars, an Acura, and about 40 other cars and have never ever had this problem. When I owned a Jaguar the joke among owners was always what a great car but a pain in the ### to own in a masochistic sort of way. I never imagined this when we bought this Audi famous for "TRUTH IN ENGINEERING (TM)" ;>). I am embarrased to talk with my friends about this car. Audi has "checked all systems" and pronounced them OK on this 2012 TTS with 10,000 miles and full factory warranty.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Please, Help needed

Please read my original post regarding the creamy white GOO that forms in the oil fill area of my wife's 2012 AUDI TTS. It is my belief that Audi should have the technical ability (TRUTH IN ENGINEERING (TM) to design and manufacture cars that perform properly under all manners in which an owners might operate them. I have suggested a possible change of thermostat as a possible solution.
Unfortunately, Audi of America has told me that as the car won't warm up to normal temp idling for 5 minutes I must instruct my wife to either find a new job that is 20 minutes farther away in order to let the car warm up properly or accept that this white GOO will be a continuing problem for me and hope that if the engine does suffer because of it my warranty will cover it's replacement.
PLEASE I must presume that legal action is my only recourse. I really need the help of the Audi community. I would be very greatful to see posted here a response from each of you that describes your honest opinion of this entire situation so that I may best know how to proceed. Thank you all for taking your time to help me resolve this issue. Vance
Old 02-10-2014, 02:39 PM
Head Cat Herder

You're not going to get a lot of support from an Audi community to sue Audi. Not to mention, most if not all internal combustion engines will have the same problem in cold weather. Any that don't either are hiding it better, or are magic.

The fact is that this highly engineered TURBOCHARGED engine is designed to maintain high RPM driving for lengths of time, it may take a little longer than 2 minutes to come up to temps.

I'd suggest that if your wife's commute is truly that short, get a car that is of the low performance type, like say a Toyota or Honda..
Old 02-10-2014, 02:40 PM
Head Cat Herder

Best way to clean it out is to take it for a good hard drive. Let it get hot, and work it.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by Kris Hansen
Best way to clean it out is to take it for a good hard drive. Let it get hot, and work it.
Our opinions differ but I very much appreciate your response. Thanks...vance
Old 02-10-2014, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I'm gona go out on a limb and say that nobody at Audi ever told you or your wife that you should get a job 20 minutes further from your home to solve your problem. Not only did they ever say that, they never even suggested it.
What they did say was it takes a few minutes of driving for the car to get to normal operating temperature.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GOO