A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Security switch for extra security

Old 01-27-2014, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security switch for extra security

I was wondering what would be the best place to connect the switch... If it would be possible to disconnect a part that would stop the engine from starting but the starter would still try so any (possible) thieves wouldn't easily figure out what is wrong... I don't want any aftermarket alarm systems, just a simple hidden switch. I could disconnect the fuel pumps but the engine would then probably still start for a bit...
Any ideas?
Old 01-27-2014, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default No need....

Originally Posted by mcdream
I was wondering what would be the best place to connect the switch... If it would be possible to disconnect a part that would stop the engine from starting but the starter would still try so any (possible) thieves wouldn't easily figure out what is wrong... I don't want any aftermarket alarm systems, just a simple hidden switch. I could disconnect the fuel pumps but the engine would then probably still start for a bit...
Any ideas?
Your A8 is equipped with an imobilizer system. Unless a theif has your key with the chip for your A8, your A8 won't go anywhere. If some one manages to start the car somehow it will only run for a few seconds. Do that 3 times and EVERYTHING in the car shuts down, only to be activated again by an Audi dealer after you present proof of ownership (if they dont know you).
Old 01-27-2014, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure.

Take a look at this recent post in the D4 forum from a member in the Netherlands:

Originally Posted by boldman
Yes in 2 minuts your stock car can be stolen without damage on doors. Witha turbodecoder the drivers door will be opend and your alarm is then off aswell, then a OBD2 cracker will switch of your immobiliser and your car can be started.

Best is upgrade your Stock car alarm with seperate alarm with remote not related to Audi. Those upgrade alarms cut aswell the K and L lines and the OBD2 cracker is useless.

Other option is a gearbox lock.....
Old 01-27-2014, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

That's a bit unnerving.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jakematic
Not sure.

Take a look at this recent post in the D4 forum from a member in the Netherlands:
Before I thrust the guy I would check stolen A8 statistics for Holland.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default be that as it may...

Not sure.

the fact is that in the US the brands of cars that get stolen are those brands for which there is a large parts market. A8s are sold in miniscule numbers in the relative scope of the US auto market and therefore there is no parts market.

No pro would steal an A8 and no punk who wants to take a ride has the sophisticated tools mentioned (if they exist).
Old 01-28-2014, 12:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by awdinut
Your A8 is equipped with an imobilizer system. Unless a theif has your key with the chip for your A8, your A8 won't go anywhere. If some one manages to start the car somehow it will only run for a few seconds. Do that 3 times and EVERYTHING in the car shuts down, only to be activated again by an Audi dealer after you present proof of ownership (if they dont know you).
Yea, but these cars still get stolen. I'd rather have some (simple) system that isn't widely known and can at least delay the thief. Usually if it takes too long start the car they will just move on to the next poor fella...
Old 01-28-2014, 02:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Not that it is really appropriate for this car but, disconnect one of the terminals of the battery if you are going to leave it for a length of time.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar
Before I thrust the guy I would check stolen A8 statistics for Holland.
Have not checked, but it would not surprise me at all in Europe that this is happening.

Originally Posted by awdinut
the fact is that in the US
Quite possibly, but the OP is not in the US...
Was thinking that other post corroborated his concern.

I read on Engadget some time back that the security encryption codes for all of VAG were cracked/hacked or something.
Typically I used to consider the Audi having to be flat-bedded, or jokingly, fork-lifted to be stolen.
Thieves, like the vehicles, are getting much more sophisticated than the old screwdriver in the steering column.

Original post was re: Audi S8 Tops Most Stolen List
Old 01-28-2014, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Thieves, like the vehicles, are getting much more sophisticated than the old screwdriver in the steering column.
I agree. So, if they came to your A8 with a towing truck and computer it is for a reason. They won't be discouraged by a hidden switch. They would load it and like any other smart guy with a problem ask AudiWorld what to do. That won't trigger any flags. A8 is is full of hidden switches anyways.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Security switch for extra security