A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

headlight switch recall info.

Old 10-21-2013, 05:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headlight switch recall info.

Hey guys and gals, longtime reader new member. Those of us whove had them know that there is a recall on 98-up headlight switch. Something about harness making contact resulting in shortr and Fire. Well when dealer made repair it allowed me to Run fogs without lowbeams. That was on my 00 FWD 2.8. The recall didnt include those with factory h.I.d. now I also own an 02 4.2 quattro. Factory zenon so i cant get it done. My question to this already dead topic is what exactly did they do so as to replicate this function. Im not that interested in melting my electrical system, so no fuse jumping for me. A detailed write up of the recall procedure would be greatly appreciated. I appologize in advance If Im diggin up dead dogs just couldnt find discussion on this
Old 10-24-2013, 05:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well after some digging Ive got the part numbers for items needed to perform recall just need write up on how to do it.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

No write up needed, jumper harness comes with instructions.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UncleScar
Hey guys and gals, longtime reader new member. Those of us whove had them know that there is a recall on 98-up headlight switch. Something about harness making contact resulting in shortr and Fire. Well when dealer made repair it allowed me to Run fogs without lowbeams. That was on my 00 FWD 2.8. The recall didnt include those with factory h.I.d. now I also own an 02 4.2 quattro. Factory zenon so i cant get it done. My question to this already dead topic is what exactly did they do so as to replicate this function. Im not that interested in melting my electrical system, so no fuse jumping for me. A detailed write up of the recall procedure would be greatly appreciated. I appologize in advance If Im diggin up dead dogs just couldnt find discussion on this
It's not particularly clear... Did the fogs run as DRLs? Or all lights were off, but you could turn the light switch to "parking lights" and then pull out and turn on the fog lights?
Old 10-28-2013, 02:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

After the recall was perfomed I was able to run fogs without headlights, meaning one click for parkinglights and one pull for fogs. Im even able to run rear fog If I want. I like the effect and since my 4.2 has factory xenon it dont fall under recall for harness just foam. I want this effect without burning anything up with some fuse jump mod or half a$$ harness jump. My 4.2 utilizes all fuses except for phone. I travel alot and some areas I use heated setas wich turn on heated steering, mirrors, washer. Dont want to put more strain on components I use. Which is why I inquired abut recall procedure.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

After the recall was perfomed I was able to run fogs without headlights, meaning one click for parkinglights and one pull for fogs. Im even able to run rear fog If I want. I like the effect and since my 4.2 has factory xenon it dont fall under recall for harness just foam. I want this effect without burning anything up with some fuse jump mod or half a$$ harness jump. My 4.2 utilizes all fuses except for phone. I travel alot and some areas I use heated setas wich turn on heated steering, mirrors, washer. Dont want to put more strain on components I use. Which is why I inquired abut recall procedure. Ive see some canadian mod. Dont want that. I want to turn them on myself.