A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Possible Bent valves

Old 05-12-2010, 11:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Bent valves

99 a6 with 2.8 30v

something went wrong mechanically with my timing belt system.

i wasnt driving the car when it happened but the person driving it described it as a clicking started coming from one side of the engine then the rpms started to drop then it stalled.

i now know that one of the timing belt rollers locked up.

i am going to replace it, and if it turns out that some of the valves got bent what kind of repairs am i looking at?

is it even feasible that i could replace the cylinder heads myself if say, i got rebuilt headers?
Old 05-12-2010, 12:09 PM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Apologies in advance for this, but:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...php?p=23920578

I have a head if you need it.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Apologies in advance for this, but:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...php?p=23920578

I have a head if you need it.
haha you A hole- gimme a break im a teenager and that was back when i first got this A6.
ill admit i knew practically nothing but that was a couple months ago. hence the "audi world junior member" right below my name on the forums.

i do have to say thanks though 4driver4. you definatly deserve the "Tech Guru" under your name.
basically everything i know i learned on this site.
give me some credit though- i went from barely even knowing what a water pump was to doing my timing belt job in like 4 months.

so can you enlighten me yet again on this issue.

and btw i knew you would be the first one to respond on this thread :-p
Old 05-12-2010, 12:23 PM
Tech Guru

LOL - sorry.

I'd start by getting the belt back on right and checking the compression or doing a leak down test. It is entirely possible to have the timing out far enough to lose compression and run crappy without damaging valves. If you do have bent valves because the belt jumped, you are probably looking at half a dozen exhaust valves, and it will make more sense to repair the head you have. But I'm getting ahead of myself. Get a belt on right and see if it runs.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

ok- i plan on doing it this weekend

will be back on the form the instant i get it done haha
Old 05-13-2010, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I bought a 98 A6 last Dec with a similiar issue, the bolt sheared off on one of the pulley's the timing skipped about 30 degrees on one cam, and it quit running. I planned on rebuilding it but got lucky, it didn't bend anything. I had another car a few years ago that wasn't so lucky, bent most of the exhaust valves. but personally I love the 2.8 engine, it is really a easy engine to do a topend rebuild. so as said, get a belt and time it, chances are you could be fine. if not it isn't to badly priced to rebuild yourself, I think I had about $600 in Parts when I redid my valves (don't recall if that included the water pump though) but valves gaskets belt etc..
Old 05-13-2010, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On the 2.8l 30V AHA and ATQ V6 engines do only the exhaust valves hit the pistons with a jumped or broken cam belt? That seems to be implied in your posting? On the 99 A6 V6 30V AHA that I took a part last month the exhaust valves on bank 1 actually had the valve heads broken off their stems, but the intake valves looked OK.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

yes that is what i am hoping for jschick- maybe i will get lucky.

i was wondering (this could be a stupid question)

when i put the belt back on and everything, how do i time the cams if they are severely off.

like say i put my tools down and went and did something and someone came over and started spinning the cam sprockets (without the timing belt on) and then i had no way of knowing where they should be, how do i line them up correctly.

the tech article i followed last time said to just lock the cams and leave them where they were, along with the crank, it dosent explain what to do if the cams are already off time when you do the job

hopefully you know what i mean- tell me if i am not getting my point across
Old 05-13-2010, 09:15 PM
Tech Guru

Originally Posted by Peter Badore
On the 2.8l 30V AHA and ATQ V6 engines do only the exhaust valves hit the pistons with a jumped or broken cam belt? That seems to be implied in your posting? On the 99 A6 V6 30V AHA that I took a part last month the exhaust valves on bank 1 actually had the valve heads broken off their stems, but the intake valves looked OK.
If the belt jumps a few teeth, the exhaust valves will be the first damaged. The belt has to jump really far for the intake valves to get damaged. Think about what happens when valve action is later than crank action.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:38 PM
Tech Guru

Originally Posted by pntbllfun
y
when i put the belt back on and everything, how do i time the cams if they are severely off.
Lock the crank, use the locking bar to turn the cams back into position, install the locking bar and belt, then tighten the sprockets back down.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Possible Bent valves