A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Phantom Black vs. Brillant Black

Old 01-23-2010, 05:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phantom Black vs. Brillant Black

Can some one please explain to me what the difference between the two blacks are?
Thanks!
Old 01-23-2010, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ohyababe
Can some one please explain to me what the difference between the two blacks are?
Thanks!
Phantom Black is metallic and Brilliant Black is not...
Phantom Black is said to look kinda gray in sunlight because of its metallic properties... Brilliant Black is like piano black...

I have Brilliant Black and am quite happy with it... It is just REALLY hard to keep clean...
Old 01-23-2010, 05:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks! Im placing an order for one this week and im torn on what color to get. thanks again!
Old 01-23-2010, 08:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have Brilliant Black and couldn't be happier.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'm biased, but brilliant black looks the best to me. And yes, it's very hard to keep clean.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tgdA4
I'm biased, but brilliant black looks the best to me. And yes, it's very hard to keep clean.
Agreed - IMO black should be black - from what I hear, Phantom changes a lot based on ambient light...
Old 01-24-2010, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I've had both, currently with Phantom Black, and I would say that I think that i prefer the Brilliant Black. The Phantom looks very nice, but I think that I want the metallic flake to be more dramatic. You only really notice the metallic look if you are right next to the car, with the sun shining on it and clean. Even when spotless and in sunlight, the parts of the car that do not catch direct sunlight look black. You don't really get that deep, deep sheen that you might see on a silver.

The Brilliant Black is so nice and deep when clean, though. And it is a little bit more mirror-like than the Phantom, although both do a good job of that.

However, both are equally as brutal to keep clean. Maybe the Phantom hides ambient dust a day longer. But you have to really like keeping your car clean for either of these blacks. I try to hand-wash my car once a week, so I can say my car looks clean more than 50 times a year! 8-)
Old 01-24-2010, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, the weekly hand wash is getting old. I got lazy and used a drive thru during the cold winter and starting to see small scratches,so back to hand washing.

I had silver before this one and I could go like 2 to 3 weeks before it really looked bad enough that it needed a wash. With this BB, its 3 days, max.

BB looks great cleaned and the dealer had mine sparkling when I bought it, so my emotions got the better of me. Nothing beats a clean black paint job, IMO. Next car, going back to silver!
Old 01-24-2010, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Cabal_san
Yep, the weekly hand wash is getting old. I got lazy and used a drive thru during the cold winter and starting to see small scratches,so back to hand washing.

I had silver before this one and I could go like 2 to 3 weeks before it really looked bad enough that it needed a wash. With this BB, its 3 days, max.

BB looks great cleaned and the dealer had mine sparkling when I bought it, so my emotions got the better of me. Nothing beats a clean black paint job, IMO. Next car, going back to silver!
I've been lazy as well, and using a touchless laser car wash. I could swear it's leaving fine scratches though, is that even possible?

I had a silver A4 before this...and am also going back to it for my next car.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

To the scratches: even dust \ sand @ highway speeds leave mini swirls in the paint.

I have phantom, I like the deep colour look vs the really shiny of the brilliant. It's only really obvious in sunlight... however if you are next to a black car you can really notice the phantom. I'm not going to go as far to say it looks gray, i'll say it's not a "pure" black. Might have an ever so slight grayish tint when the sun hits it, but again just enough to say it's not pure black.

I had the same issue while ordering. I looked at Meteor Grey (too green\blue in light), Deep Sea (too "grandpa\old" blue), Brilliant (just black), Phantom (cool black effect I was looking for, but had a little "imperfect not quite black" look and Lava Grey (feel in love with this paint, custom ordered, I would of gotten this but it was 3500 more, not worth it at this time... maybe on my future RS6\4 :P)

Phantom Black, in my opinion is not "grayish" but more of a "not pure black". It's black at night\dusk\dawn. IT does not look "dirty" in the sun. Has LOADS of blue\purple and green flecks. All an all i'm happy with my choice. However I started out that I didn't want "just black".

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Phantom Black vs. Brillant Black