A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Squeaking Noise - Control Arms?

Old 07-09-2002, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaking Noise - Control Arms?

I brought my car in for service yesterday complaining about a sqeaking noise in the suspension every time I hit a small bump. My shop greased up the control arms but the problem hasn't gone away. They said I could bring it in to have the control arms replaced (free of charge, or course). Has anybody else experienced this noise? Is the problem in the control arms? I just don't want to waste my time if the problem is caused by something else.

Thanks

Dan

2001.5 A4TQMS
Old 07-09-2002, 08:24 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Is it a deep creaking noise (like a rusty door hinge) or is it a chirping noise, like a bird...

Creak =control arm ball joint, deep squeak can be inner bushigns, chirp can be brakes..

If they are willing to replace the arms, let them!!!!
Old 07-09-2002, 08:26 AM

It's about the same pitch as a brake sqeal..but very brief. The brakes don't sqeal normally.
Old 07-09-2002, 08:27 AM

Default More than likely so...

Control arms (more specifically the bushings in the control arms) are a pretty big problem with the A4. Other related issues *could* be tie rod ends, and the rear sway bar link. But the problem is most likely the front upper control arms. If you do a search on the topic, I am certain you'll find a pretty vast number of threads posted on this! You can try lubricating the bushings with Tri-Flow, white lithium, etc. which may relieve the problem temporarily, but the problem will eventually return. If you can get the dealership to replace the arms at no cost, I say do it!

Good luck... Hope this helps!

Randy
Old 07-09-2002, 08:28 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Probably just the pads bouncing around.. Have them lube the pad carriers..

most often, suspension squeaks are deeper in tone than that..

Does this only happen on sharp bumps, or all bumps?
Old 07-09-2002, 08:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Squeaking Noise - Control Arms?

From what I understood the control arm problem was corrected in the 2001 cars. I have a loud sqeaking sound comming from my driver side front of the car. I hear it whenever the front of the car is pressed down, such as when I get in and out or hit a bump.
If it was me I'd bring the car in and tell them to fix the sqeak, replace whatever neds to be replaced.

Phil and his '98 2.8-QTS
Old 07-09-2002, 08:32 AM

Mostly sharp bumps... road expansion joints are the worst.
Old 07-09-2002, 08:48 AM

Default I have the same thing on my 2001.5

When i have my windows down, i can hear a faint, high pitched squeek. I took the car in for a service and mentioned it, and they said they lubed the bushings. Of course i heard the noise again on the way out of the parking lot...

Didn't have time to take it back, but at my next service i'm gonna press them a bit more...
Old 07-09-2002, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default hmmmm..I have the bird chirp noise adn the dealer is considering replacing the control harms...is it

easy to lubricate this part of the brakes? I want to try this first before I bother with control arms. With my sus I might have to pay for the control arm replacemtn. Thanks Kris.
Old 07-09-2002, 10:04 AM

Default I don't know an Audi that DOESN'T have this problem...

or at least a similar variation. For instance I've always had the chirping sound going over small bumps, but I also had it on my '97 GTi-VR6 so I never thought anything of it (must be a German car thang'). And I've never heard creaking during driving, but the other day I was trying to get a wheel off my car, and I heard creaking coming from the rear suspension cause the car was being rocked while parked. Closer examination proved that one or both rear control arms creak, but only when the car is parked - big deal. If they break in half or fail completely then I'll throw a fit at my dealer - or maybe not cause I'm still within my warranty.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Squeaking Noise - Control Arms?