Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

All season tire recomendation

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All season tire recomendation

Can any one comment on either of these tires on Q5.
235/60/18
Continental LX20 ecoplus
Bridgestone dueler ecopia 422

Ive read the reviews/ tests on Tirerack. Need something with better snow traction/ treadlife than horrendous Michelin Tour HP that came stock. Worn out @23k miles and have been undriveable in snow since new.Leaning towards Conti's but many mentioned balancing issues.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'd take a look at some Nokian WRG2, they have very good high speed stability, quiet, very good snow traction, not as good as a dedicated snow tire but the best I've found in an all season. Downside they're on the pricey side. That's what I have on my Q5 and MDX both have handled the winter in Chicago this year very well.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:00 PM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by tmoe
I'd take a look at some Nokian WRG2, they have very good high speed stability, quiet, very good snow traction, not as good as a dedicated snow tire but the best I've found in an all season. Downside they're on the pricey side. That's what I have on my Q5 and MDX both have handled the winter in Chicago this year very well.
Nokian FTW!
Put a set of WRG3's on the A4 earlier this week. ;o)
Old 01-19-2014, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tmoe
X2! Nokian WRG2 is a fabulous tire. Size availability can be a restriction though.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ssteigss
Can any one comment on either of these tires on Q5.
235/60/18
Continental LX20 ecoplus
Bridgestone dueler ecopia 422

Ive read the reviews/ tests on Tirerack. Need something with better snow traction/ treadlife than horrendous Michelin Tour HP that came stock. Worn out @23k miles and have been undriveable in snow since new.Leaning towards Conti's but many mentioned balancing issues.
I replaced my OEM tires on the 2011 Q5 with the Bridgestones above and can highly recommend them. Very quiet tire and what little snow they went through, no issues handling it. Excellent tread wear qualities, too. Bought them from a nearby Firestone store and they beat Tirerack's price. The Conti's that are on my new Q are all-season (20") and excellent as well. Print your results from the Tirerack website and take them with you to the tire store.....those guys like knowledgeable customers and it gives you some bargaining strength.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There is no substitute for dedicated snow tires but we run Continental ExtremeContact DWS on 2 of our Audis in the "good" weather. I haven't studied up on it in 6 months so maybe there's something better now but they used to be the "best all-season for snow" (now there's a contradiction of terms!

Old 01-20-2014, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I can vouch for the Extreme Contact DWS as Elevens has pictured above, as these are on my new Q5, but only have 3700 miles on them. Seen a little snow and were excellent...very quiet riding as well. As a point of info, these are the only "approved" replacement tire from the OEM tires that Audi would allow the dealer to swap out before I took delivery of my new Q5.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:16 AM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by soonerfan
I can vouch for the Extreme Contact DWS as Elevens has pictured above, as these are on my new Q5, but only have 3700 miles on them. Seen a little snow and were excellent...very quiet riding as well. As a point of info, these are the only "approved" replacement tire from the OEM tires that Audi would allow the dealer to swap out before I took delivery of my new Q5.
The DWS was 2nd on my list behind the WRG3. Love the aggressive tread pattern too which makes it look like it will work in its application. But the final factor for the Nokian is the Severe Service Emblem. "Exceeds the new government standard for tire performance in harsh winter conditions."
Check out the sipes on the WRG3 and you'll see it is very similar to dedicated snow/ice tires.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Unfortunately The DWS doesnt come in the size i need.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ssteigss
Unfortunately The DWS doesnt come in the size i need.
If you do not want or need a dedicated snow tire, I'll repeat my recommendation for the Bridgestone Ecopia. You will not be disappointed.

Quick Reply: All season tire recomendation