S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Stuck ashtray...one more time

Old 11-23-2009, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuck ashtray...one more time

I have read all the posts. It looks like the easiest method is to remove the shifter surround, but I am not quite sure what this means. Could someone elaborate on this?

Thanks,
Ken
Old 11-23-2009, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by kepstein
I have read all the posts. It looks like the easiest method is to remove the shifter surround, but I am not quite sure what this means. Could someone elaborate on this?

Thanks,
Ken
The shifter surround is the little piece on the center console around your shifter - typically this has the same color/wood grain as your dash inlays.

To take it out just stick your hand into the shifter hole (you don't have to remove the shifter cover) and grab the inside edge of the surround. Pull up and the surround should pop out.

It is clipped in only - there are no screws or anything like that.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks, that worked, and I got the ashtray out. Now I need to remove the offending coins; any tricks?

Thanks again,
Ken

Originally Posted by donromani
The shifter surround is the little piece on the center console around your shifter - typically this has the same color/wood grain as your dash inlays.

To take it out just stick your hand into the shifter hole (you don't have to remove the shifter cover) and grab the inside edge of the surround. Pull up and the surround should pop out.

It is clipped in only - there are no screws or anything like that.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks, that worked, and I got the ashtray out. Now I need to remove the offending coins; any tricks?

Thanks again,
Ken
Coins? Sorry man, once you lose a coin in this car it is gone. I probably have 5 bucks under the driver's seat at this point. I consider it a tithe. GL!
Old 11-26-2009, 03:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Now I've tried a knife with two sided tape and a vacuum without any luck. I can't see anything to remove but the ashtray will not work. I have removed it, but I can't reinstall and get it to work.

Ken

Coins? Sorry man, once you lose a coin in this car it is gone. I probably have 5 bucks under the driver's seat at this point. I consider it a tithe. GL!
Old 11-26-2009, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Now I've tried a knife with two sided tape and a vacuum without any luck. I can't see anything to remove but the ashtray will not work. I have removed it, but I can't reinstall and get it to work.

Ken
If I'm understanding you right the problem with the ashtray is that it will not pop out like it is supposed to? If that is the case I have the same issue - it seems to be a problem with the spring mechanism. I don't think it can be fixed easily - the spring just gets worn out...
Old 11-26-2009, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

You're understanding me right, but the problem started when I lost a quarter under the ashtray.

If I'm understanding you right the problem with the ashtray is that it will not pop out like it is supposed to? If that is the case I have the same issue - it seems to be a problem with the spring mechanism. I don't think it can be fixed easily - the spring just gets worn out...
Old 11-27-2009, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

You're understanding me right, but the problem started when I lost a quarter under the ashtray.
I just went through the same thing. The previous owner of my number two S4 lost a candy bars worth of change in the ash tray. It woudln't move unless I removed the shifter surround and pulled the tray out. To fix, you have to gain access to the entire ash tray. This means, you need to remove the radio, remove the climate control unit and you will see the change getting in the way. Just did it last night and now works great. Check out the tech articles for more info on removing radio and climate unit. Its not that hard to do. Good luck!

P.S. unless you're a smoker, I'm not sure if its really worth the time. But I'd hope you don't smoke in your Sexy times four!
Old 11-28-2009, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Can you steer me toward these Tech articles; I'm having trouble finding them.

Thanks,
Ken

Originally Posted by DAS4
This means, you need to remove the radio, remove the climate control unit and you will see the change getting in the way. Just did it last night and now works great. Check out the tech articles for more info on removing radio and climate unit.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Can you steer me toward these Tech articles; I'm having trouble finding them.

Thanks,
Ken
Go to the "resources" tab at the top of the page. Select tech articles and go to interior

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stuck ashtray...one more time