Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Denison iceLink Plus or DICE

Old 07-18-2006, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Denison iceLink Plus or DICE

Basics: '03 A4 with factory Symphony Sound System and an iPod mini.

I know this topic is probably hammered to death on here... I've read the iceLink installation threads by SouthboroAudiGuy and followed all the links, and found MUCH better info than I found anywhere else - least of all the denison website - but I still need some human interaction to get my facts straight on iceLink vs DICE.

Here are two major points that I'm confused by:

1. iceLink is discontinued in the US.
2. DICE won't display title/artist info on
head unit for Audi systems. (denison website)

So it seems to me like the iceLink is still the better option for Audi customers. Granted, there are other quirky UI issues with iceLink, at least I'd still have my radio display sync'd. But then again, they probably aren't coming out with new firmware updates for iceLink, so future ipod models might not work. Course I'm screwed if I need new firmware for the DICE anyway, since they don't allow user updates.

Would someone please set me straight on Dice vs iceLink? Is one strongly recommended over the other? Is it best to consider iceLink dead and not try to order it from overseas? is there a better (iPod-specific) solution besides denison?

Thanks for any insight.
-Kris
Old 07-18-2006, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts
Default The IceLink does NOT display title/artist on the Audi head unit

No Audi head unit support this feature, regardless of the iPod interface used. All you will see is CD x Track y.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default A very good question...

And one that will only have a single answer very shortly. Namely, that you will not be able to get an IceLink and will be forced to go with the DICE solution.

Here's my take...

First, check out <a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/audio/msgs/52732.phtml">this thread</a> from this forum. It contains some discussion of the differences between the IceLink and the DICE product.

The biggest difference (IMO) is that the DICE product requires that you set a dip switch to change between iPod mode and Dice mode. The former lets you use the iPod UI to control the iPod, the latter lets you use the head unit controls to drive the iPod. On the IceLink, you can change between these two modes on-the-fly (i.e., without having to change a dip switch that's on a box buried in your dash/trunk). Given the HUGE differences between these two modes, this is an important consideration.

So, I think the trade-offs between the two are as follows:

<b>IceLink</b>

Pros
- Change between modes on the fly
- Excellent cradle included in cost
- Software (i.e., firmware) can be field upgraded

Cons
- Unclear software support path due to being dropped by Denison USA (maybe Denison in EU will be able to take care of us??)
- Does not support video out (not a big deal for me)

<b>DICE</b>

Pros
- Supports video out
- Currently supported through Denison USA
- Has additional AUX in (important if you also want satelite radio)

Cons
- Must flip dip switch to change UI modes
- Software is not field upgradeable (maybe this can be done by sending unit back? MAJOR pain to do this though...)
- Cradle (also excellent) is an extra-cost option

Now for the big qualifier on my comments: I've never used the DICE product and am basing my comments on what I've read. The thread I point you to notes that you can download the manual from the Denison site -- something I'd recommend doing before ordering. Who knows? Maybe there is something about that product that would put more items on the "Pro" list above. What has me skeptical, however, is that most of those would probably be part of the DICE user interface -- something that the original poster in this other thread said was pretty grim. You may want to touch base with him for deails.

Good luck!
Old 07-18-2006, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Absolutely right. Forgot to mention that in my post.

So, no difference between IceLink and DICE in this regard.

The only thing the IceLink does is report back what track number you're on. Value of this is ZERO.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:16 AM

DICE has the AUX audio in.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:17 AM

Dension was Euro-centric - DICE priorities lie with GM and Toyota, it seems...
Old 07-18-2006, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thx. Added to my "Pro" list for DICE.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:51 AM

Default Re: Absolutely right. Forgot to mention that in my post.

Thanks guys, that was really helpful. I was finding so many contradictory statements online (particularly in the area of text display) that I needed a straight, informed answer.

Anyway, yes, I've downloaded the entire internet (including the DICE manual) to read through when I'm not at work.

Another question though while I've got you... reading through the previous thread, I'm still a little unsure of the differences between ipod mode and denison mode... It sounded like I still can control the ipod from the dash or the ipod while in ipod mode? So if there is no CD-Text support for ipod, why would I ever use the Denison mode? I didn't really understand your (SouthboroAudiGuy) case in favor of the occasional use for this mode in the previous thread...
Old 07-18-2006, 11:09 AM

Default iPod Mode vs DICE Mode

Directly from the manual...

1. "DICE Mode is best selected when controls from
both the iPod and the radio are desired."

2. "Both the iPod and radio controls are always
active in both DICE and simple iPod mode and
do not require you to change modes."

wha Wha WHAT???
Old 07-18-2006, 11:16 AM

LOL... that's why I usually don't take the manuals out of the boxes...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Denison iceLink Plus or DICE