A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Headlights not working (read FAQ)

Old 05-26-2009, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights not working (read FAQ)

So, about four days ago my second headlight went out after my first one had been out for about a week and a half. I replaced the headlights and was surprised to find that they a) didn't appear to be burst and b) weren't working when replaced. I checked the fuses - all fine. After doing some reading, I found out that the headlight switch commonly goes when using Silverstar Ultra Whites, which I was.

I tried the trick of cleaning up the switch and sanding down the plastic on the inside to keep it from sticking. That didn't work. Tonight, I replaced the combo stalk entirely (brand new). That didn't work. I get high beams when I pull back on the stalk, but nothing with the lights. No current coming off the fuse box.

The next logical step appears to be the Load Reduction Relay. The problem is, I'm not seeing any other problem aside from my "One Push" electric windows mysteriously disappearing (I can still roll them down, but just pushing the button once does nothing unlike it usually does). Parking lights work, turn signals work, stereo works, foglights work, climate control works - not sure about cruise control.

Could this still be the relay? Is there any diagnostic steps I can take, without a VAG-COM, that would point me in a good direction?
Old 05-26-2009, 10:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Have you tried the parking brake switch?
Old 05-26-2009, 10:20 PM

Parking brake switch? This is the first I've heard mentioned of this being a reason why headlights wouldn't turn on.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:43 PM

well, despite the lack of interest in this thread, I'll keep updating:

Installed a new ignition switch today, which hasn't resolved the problem. I spoke with Jose of Euro Tech motors in the morning (Euro-techmotors.com, great guy), and he shot down the idea that it could be the Load Reduction Relay, which was my last hope. I"m all but over my head outside of anything electrical, and this is very much that, so I guess it's time for the shop.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hey thanks for the info. Im interested - and having the same problem. Didnt make the connection with the one touch power windows but now that you mention it...
Old 06-03-2009, 07:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

if you disconnected your battery when you were working on your headlight switch (before taking the steering wheel off) this is the cause of the auto up/down feature not working

just put the windows all the way and then all the way up 3 or 4 times in a row and it should reset. Theres something in the manual about it but I can't find it right now.

Also you said you have blinkers but do you have hazard lights? Sometimes when the relay for that goes (which is behind the hazard light switch) it screws up the whole lighting system and vice versa (sometimes the light switch screws up hazard relay). I would try to replace that relay before load reduction - it will save you a lot more money and a lot of time.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Ignition Switch or load reduction relay

I just had the same problem, the problem must be the load reduction relay or the ignition switch, if it is the ignition switch, you may have to change the terminal that connects with the ignition switch ( it might not be doing proper contact), i just fix it, and i had to change the terminal, because it was melted. I also advice to improve the connection between the terminal and the red cable, it's not properly design and it heats at the terminal.

Good luck
Old 08-06-2009, 09:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

I had the exact problem. Took the combination switch and clean....no avail.

When I pull the cruise stick, a relay click and the hi beam comes on. So the problem is somewhere else. No fog light either.

Have you fixed yours? I am waiting for Vag-com to arrive.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I don't believe vag-com will tell you anything about this problem, the circuit is not one that is monitored. If your combi switch is good the next step would be to check the ignition switch, the wire in question is red.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Most likly you have a burnt terminal on the conection at the headlght switch. Removed the conector and check the female pins.
Or look at the old switch male pins for black marks. I think the wire color that feed the headlight fuses if yellow/black. Look at a wire diagram. If the load relay was bad t
more stuff would not wark

bmwbiker

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Headlights not working (read FAQ)