A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2002 Audi A6 2.7t Turbocharger replacement.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Audi A6 2.7t Turbocharger replacement.

The turbos in my Audi are leaking oil through the exhaust pipes. I did try to search for info on it, but there are things I'm not too sure about. I'm having someone I know do the repair for me, but I'm not sure what all the parts I need are or what brand of Turbos to buy.

I'm sort of on a tight budget. The guy is doing me a favor and only charging $600 for labor. So I'd prefer to get turbos that won't fail in 10,000 miles. That'd be nice, but I really have no idea what I'm even looking for. If I upgrade to the K04's what all needs to be changed and is it a much harder job than if it was a just a straight replacement?

Also, since I'm here, my secondary air injection pump needs replaced. Is that something where a simple ebay purchase would be fine?
Old 12-16-2013, 12:23 PM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydon
The turbos in my Audi are leaking oil through the exhaust pipes.
How do you know this? This is highly unlikely. Have you ruled out the PCV system?
Old 12-16-2013, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
How do you know this? This is highly unlikely. Have you ruled out the PCV system?
Well I took it too a shop that didn't seem to want to work on an Audi. He put it on the rack and told me the turbos seemed to be leaking. Another guy that "specializes" in foreign cars that also told me labor alone would be $2700 to replace the turbos told me that to him it sounds like the Turbos were out (this was over the phone).

I have noticed decreased acceleration as well which lead me to believe the Turbos were dead.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:33 PM
Tech Guru

So let's back a bit. What exactly is the issue? Symptoms? Warning lights?

Lack of power can be a ton of different things. Among the least likely are "dead" turbos.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Well, first there was a loud whining noise. I figured out that was the secondary air pump and seeing as how it really doesn't so much in terms of absolutely needing a new one immediately, I let it go. Eventually the check engine light popped on and almost immediately after that the air pump stopped working completely. Once again, I didn't care much seeing as how the part really doesn't do anything that is absolutely necessary.

As for the current situation, all I did was start the car and let it warm up for about ten minutes in 15 degree weather. As I got in the car I noticed the smoke from the exhaust but thought nothing of it other than maybe it was because of how cold the weather was. So I started driving and the smoke only got thicker. So I turned around and went home. Found oil leaking from my exhaust pipes.

To back it up even further, I bought the car in October. The dealer had me take it to a shop he deals with to put new brakes on and do an oil change. The oil they used was 5w-30 Semi-Synthetic. Which I personally find to be a giant mistake. Could that be the cause of the situation I'm in? I would say I've driven it about 2,500 miles since that oil change.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:37 PM
Tech Guru

Your PCV system froze. Common issue. STFA and you'll find some answers.

You need to replace the PCV stuff and the secondary air pump.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

So why is there oil leaking from the turbos then? And if I replace the pcv system, what's to stop it from freezing again?
Old 12-16-2013, 04:21 PM
Tech Guru

Pcv system is filled with condensate and crap. Eventually it will freeze again...just not right away. Short drives will make it happen sooner. Oil is leaking out the turbos because of the vast amount of oil being sucked into the intake and pumped through the engine; oil is leaking from the turbos for the same reason it is dripping out the exhaust.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Pcv system is filled with condensate and crap. Eventually it will freeze again...just not right away. Short drives will make it happen sooner. Oil is leaking out the turbos because of the vast amount of oil being sucked into the intake and pumped through the engine; oil is leaking from the turbos for the same reason it is dripping out the exhaust.
Well, I ended up just taking it to an Audi shop today to have it diagnosed. According to them, it is the "Oil Breather Assembly" which is the PCV system. So here is my question, where the hell do I buy this thing at? They had it in stock but they wanted $768 for it.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Also, which Oil do you recommend putting in my car? I've read a lot of people saying 0W-30/40. 5w-30/40. All say Full Synthetic.

For the record, I live in Ohio so often times temps do drop to below 20 degrees.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2002 Audi A6 2.7t Turbocharger replacement.