A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought an a8 but no tv signal and start button doesnt work. just

Old 12-07-2013, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought an a8 but no tv signal and start button doesnt work. just

Just bought an a8 but no TV signal and start button doesn't work. just sport. I notice he original docs say it has a to and i found it on the mmi but it doesn't seems to tune in to anything,
jut gives static. also the start button doesn't work buy the stop one does. Could anyone advise me where to start looking for a solution? I guess it will be something very basic.
Thanks in advance, Colin
Old 12-07-2013, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just re-read this - need to put glasses on next time. Sorry. The original docs from Audi say a TV was installed, but it doesn't seem able to pick up a channel.
I assume there is a tuner somewhere. I did check on the MMI that the region was correct. What am I looking for regarding a tuner?
Also, the start button does not work. If I press it without a key in the ignition a message comes up to say no key recognised. With the key in, the button doesn't
seem to do anything. Am I missing something obvious here? The car is a lovely drive - just traded an ML270 in and it's a world of difference.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome!

In order to help you we would need some information. First, where are you and what year is your car?

Start button probably works but it doesn't recognize your key remotely. Try locking and unlocking the car with remote and than try the start button.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi there. Thank you for replying. The A8 is a 2006 facelift model 3.0 Tdi sport Quattro but it was made at end of 2005. I live in Portsmouth, uk. I found that I can start the car now with the button and no key in the ignition, but after I press stop it says no key recognised and I can't lock the steering with the stop button or lock the car with the door handle button or even unlock it by approaching the car holding the key. I still need the remote buttons to do that. Not a big deal but if it's there it's always nice when it works! Same thing with the tv really. It works but doesn't pick up a channel, just static. Thanks in advance for any help and sorry if I seem a bit naive - it's my first Audi.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by colinhelen
Hi there. Thank you for replying. The A8 is a 2006 facelift model 3.0 Tdi sport Quattro but it was made at end of 2005. I live in Portsmouth, uk. I found that I can start the car now with the button and no key in the ignition, but after I press stop it says no key recognised and I can't lock the steering with the stop button or lock the car with the door handle button or even unlock it by approaching the car holding the key. I still need the remote buttons to do that. Not a big deal but if it's there it's always nice when it works! Same thing with the tv really. It works but doesn't pick up a channel, just static. Thanks in advance for any help and sorry if I seem a bit naive - it's my first Audi.
It sounds like you have an analogue tuner, therefore will only work in places where analogue is still running, unfortuately theres not many of those left. the alternative is to A) buy a hybrid tuner, you can pick them up for about 500 - 600 pounds on ebay or 1300 new from audi or B) add the Aux lead on to the tuner you have and buy an aftermarket tuner. this isnt as good as having the proper audi hybrid, and you would need to place an antenna on your back window to pick up the signal. and make sure you get a remote eye to the cabin to use it C: put an aftermarket dvd/usb/sd card player instead also with remote eye of course.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

As for the key functions, mishar is probably right, i dont have it myself but i know there is some particular method of synching the key up with the car. check your manual if you have one, else im sure that someone who does know the procedure will be along shortly
Old 12-07-2013, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

It could be that your key battery is low.
Old 12-07-2013, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi. I never thought about the digital switch but it makes perfect sense. If anyone else has done this with a digital receiver please do let me know. A DVD payer instead of TV is fine but I have no idea how to connect it. I got two key fobs with the car and the lock issue happens with both so I assume that it's not a battery issue but I will change them ASAP just in case. Thanks again for the help.
Old 12-07-2013, 02:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi. I never thought about the digital switch but it makes perfect sense. If anyone else has done this with a digital receiver please do let me know. A DVD payer instead of TV is fine but I have no idea how to connect it. I got two key fobs with the car and the lock issue happens with both so I assume that it's not a battery issue but I will change them ASAP just in case. Thanks again for the help.
I did it myself when i had an analogue, wasnt great but could be ok with a more expensive aftermarket unit.
I then put in the analogue unit, and have a dvd/sd card player installed which can be viewed on the mmi screen or the headrest monitors , its fiddle , you buy a lead from ebay for about 12 pounds then in the boot on the left hand side, open up the side and you will see a variety of stuff , which can be in different places, but normally the tv is under the sat nav dvd, to the rear of the rack, open the red plastic connector and clip the new leads in to the correct holes and reconnect and you have an aux imput socket for audio and video. simply take the outputs from the dvd unit to the inputs as you would on your home tv

details of the correct pins are here http://www.audi-resource.com/retro-aux.php
Old 12-08-2013, 01:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, try a new CR2032 battery in the key fob.
You flick out the blade and then in the gap where the blade was you can pop off the battery cover on the side with the logo with your fingers. The old one can be flicked out with a coctail stick, you can also clean and realign the contacts if tehy look like they need it.

TV tuner is analogue as said already.
I plan to buy something like this...
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-...540284334.html
and mount it with the analogue one in the boot, but extend the remote's IR sensor for the remote into the car by unsoldering it and soldering it on the end of some thin speaker wire.

This tuner has dual antenna.....does our original analogue unit have 2 or 4 antenna.

You would need FAKRA adaptors for the antenna plugs and also the AUX IN retrofit wires adding to the analogues' loom.

Good luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just bought an a8 but no tv signal and start button doesnt work. just