Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2013 Audi Q5 2.0T oil consumption

Old 04-26-2013, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2013 Audi Q5 2.0T oil consumption

Hi,
I bought a 2013 Audi Q5 2.0T in March 2013 and have since driven about 1,650km. Mostly city driving and I have been following the break-in instruction posted online.

When I checked my oil level indicator via MMI today, it is about half full. I remember when I first got the car, it was FULL. so after only 1,650km it is half full?

I know new cars tend to use more engine oil, but is half normal? How much is half? 1L gone?

Also, I took the car in today because I heard a slight hissing/humming noise coming from the passenger side. After digging thru pages and pages of responses, finally found the sound may be related to the infamous "fuel filter". Once the engine warms up, I could hear a faint noise (sounds like someone is blowing whistle behind your back). It's the most audible when you get to the fuel pump area. It's not super loud but for a person like me who has sensitive hearing, it is bugging me.

Anyways, the mechanic said he couldn't hear nothing and claimed that it was the sound from the engine. We took the car for a spin and I could clearly hear the humming/hissing noise and he said all he heard was engine noise and said it is normal. He asked me to try another q5 on the lot, and that CAR doesn't have the NOISE. But he still said its the engine noise. So without any conclusion, i left.

Anyways, he said just wait until 8,000km for the first service and mention about the noise again. How should I get them to replace the fuel filter?
Old 04-26-2013, 03:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not know about the fuel filter issue.

But I can speak about the oil burning issue. My car in 5k miles went thru two quarts of oil (So the gauge went to low once...i filled up and it went back to low.) I got it serviced at 5k miles and now I am at 8k miles and the car has barely burned any oil. I think in the first few thousand miles the car will go through more oil and then settle in.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by phibe1
I do not know about the fuel filter issue.

But I can speak about the oil burning issue. My car in 5k miles went thru two quarts of oil (So the gauge went to low once...i filled up and it went back to low.) I got it serviced at 5k miles and now I am at 8k miles and the car has barely burned any oil. I think in the first few thousand miles the car will go through more oil and then settle in.
Thank you for the information. I am not sure with the rate of my current oil burning, if it will last until my first service at 8,000km.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

I had a 2012 Q5 2.0T for a year and 14k miles and didnt really get any oil consumption. I was worry about it but it looked great. I pushed it hard in the mountians. I was at like 3/4 maybe half when I traded it in. Was looking great.

Now Im looking at the oil consumption on the 3.0T..... Hope for the best....
Old 04-26-2013, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have a '13 q5 2.0T and observed no major oil consumption (full mmi reading) at 5k service. I've driven 6k additional miles and still have the full bar. I really hope there are no issues with this car. I had a '09 a4 and consumed a quart every 1300 miles or so. Service said that rate was normal. Huh?
Old 04-27-2013, 05:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have about 4500 miles on my 13. Just checked the oil level today and it's down a quarter. I'm assuming this is normal for new engines as the rings seat themselves? I will be having the 5k service done shortly.

Your thoughts?
Old 04-27-2013, 07:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

pkalltheway -

I have a question... When you say "I have been following the break-in instruction posted online.", does this mean Audi's instructions in the user's manual (vary the RPMs, not more than 75% of red line for 1500 miles (?)), or the controversial online instructions about "wide open throttle redline for a few seconds, a few times per day, with a cool down period between"?

I really do NOT want to open an old scabbed-over thread about which method is better, but I am curious if you are using the controversial method. :-)
Old 04-27-2013, 09:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Cobalt Rain
pkalltheway -

I have a question... When you say "I have been following the break-in instruction posted online.", does this mean Audi's instructions in the user's manual (vary the RPMs, not more than 75% of red line for 1500 miles (?)), or the controversial online instructions about "wide open throttle redline for a few seconds, a few times per day, with a cool down period between"?

I really do NOT want to open an old scabbed-over thread about which method is better, but I am curious if you are using the controversial method. :-)
hi,
i have been following the break-in instruction from the manual...varying the RPM and etc...sorry for the confusion...
not sure if my oil consumption is normal as i think my car has "drank" two blocks of oil (as indicated in the MMI)...i assume two blocks means two litres...

i am only at 1,700 kms....

and i am still hearing that darn faint whistling noise (as if someone is blowing to a can)...Audi tech insisted it's the engine that's making sound....
Old 04-27-2013, 09:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by pkalltheway2000
hi,
i have been following the break-in instruction from the manual...varying the RPM and etc...sorry for the confusion...
not sure if my oil consumption is normal as i think my car has "drank" two blocks of oil (as indicated in the MMI)...i assume two blocks means two litres...

and i am still hearing that darn faint whistling noise (as if someone is blowing to a can)...Audi tech insisted it's the engine that's making sound....
i could only hear it when the engine is at "running" temp...when the car is idling....i popped the hood and tried to figure out where the faint noise is coming from, but the engine noise drowns the noise...

it's really only audible when i am sitting in the car when there isn't really any other noise besides the faint noise....it's not the AC or DASHBOARD noise...i thought it came from fuel filter, but i wasn't sure...
Old 04-28-2013, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by pkalltheway2000
hi,

As been discussed many times,The MMI display reflects (1) liter of oil. It is very normal to consume part of a liter during the first 8K kms. Also discussed many times is "coincidence" of folks babying their cars during break-in and then consuming excessive oil, while folks that used their engines "spiritedly" after full oil warm up use no oil whatsoever.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2013 Audi Q5 2.0T oil consumption