A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

audi service put too much oil in my A4 1.8T !!!

Old 11-07-1999, 07:52 AM
rickb

Default audi service put too much oil in my A4 1.8T !!!

Had my A4 first service done at 6000 miles.
Just checked oil level the other day (9000miles)
and oil level was .5" over the max on dipstick!
Had my wife take the car to speedy lube and they pulled 1.25 quarts out of car. Did this do any serious damage to my car? How many people should be slapped at the dealership?

Rick B
A4 1.8T qtr,tip,APRchip....+ too much oil!
Old 11-07-1999, 10:10 AM
PeteP

Sounds like they thought it was a 2.8.
Old 11-07-1999, 10:46 AM
StevenN

Default My dealer ALWAYS overfills by about a quart ...

When I complained to the owner of the dealership, he said that the oil dispenser was calibrated to give just the right amount of oil, so it couldn't overfill. But the next time I brought my car in for a change and checked it when I got home ... yep, it was overfilled by a quart.

Now that my car is out of warranty, I do my own oil changes from now on. "If you want something done right, ..."

StevenN '96 2.8 qm
Old 11-07-1999, 03:33 PM
Louis

Default Re: audi service put too much oil in my A4 1.8T !!!

I had the same problem at Newport Auto Center. They always overfilled the engine oil. It's not good for your engine. The crankcase ventilation system and the cataletic (sp?) converter gets gunked up. Even the Audi manual says to NEVER overfill your engine oil because engine damage will occur.
Old 11-07-1999, 05:21 PM
Rich L.

Default I have had this 2 out of 3 times too.

What is wrong with the tech procedure that the guys don't check the dipstick after filling the engine. When I change oil I must check it 5 times before even starting the car.

Rich L.
99 1.8TAQMS and 15K miles
Old 11-07-1999, 08:02 PM
Alex M.

Default Overfilled oil problems......

On my first service (5K) the dealer overfilled my oil by 1/8 - 1/4 inch. I called the dealer and complained about the problem. I was assured it would not happen again. At that time I wasn't to worried because it was only 1/8 - 1/4 inch and I was still burning oil. Well at my second service (10K) I got my car back, went to the gas station to fill up and found that the car was 3/4 - 1 inch overfilled. I didn't drive it again until I could take it back to get it fixed. I talked to the service manager about the problem and was told that "he had never heard of this before at his shop" and that possibily my dipstick was the problem. At that point I bought an "Audi" filter and changed the oil while measuring what I put in. It measured 3.7 quarts exactly. I was very disappointed because if the dealer followed ANY of the three TSBs out, my oil would not have been overfilled. I called the service manager to inform him of my findings. Then I called AoA, explained what had happened and asked to be transfer to a different dealership.
If the dealer can't follow a simple TSB to fill my car with the correct amount of oil, then they can't be trusted to work on my car.

Alex M. 99.5 1.8TQMS
Old 11-07-1999, 09:31 PM
rr

Default Re: audi service put too much oil in my A4 1.8T !!!

I will be taking my '99.5 1.8T in for it's 1st service in a few days. I plan on taking 3.7 quarts of synthetic oil in for the service. Seems like it should be tough for them to overfill.
Old 11-08-1999, 03:56 AM
TomF

Default I agree, the only solution...

is to bring with you exactly 3.7 quarts with you. In my case, when I brought 4, they put in 4. Next time I brought 3.7 - perfect!

Tom
1.8TQMS Silver/Ecru
Old 11-08-1999, 04:36 AM
Audacious

Default I don't believe it will cause any damage

Cause this happened to me several times. I wrote a nice long letter to Audi Customer Service. The dealer said it takes a lot of extra oil to cause damage. And if it does, it will be very obvious (big puffs of black smoke and the engine check light will detect any emissions irregularities). Although this is no excuse, I believe them.
Old 11-08-1999, 08:05 AM
DaveN

Default You can blow out the bearing seals...

Without the ability to drain oil pressure builds up on the seal. You can also gunk up the converter because the crank is splashing in the oil, adding a lot more oil to the blowby. They overfilled mine the first time, the engine hesitated, you notice now we have a TSB to that effect.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: audi service put too much oil in my A4 1.8T !!!