Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Different lug nuts???

Old 12-03-2013, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Different lug nuts???

Got my winter wheels and tires in yesterday. Going to do a test fit for the wheels today. When is spoke with Hartman they said I needed different lugs for their wheels. I ordered off eBay. Will I need different lugs???
Old 12-03-2013, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JBDinTX
Got my winter wheels and tires in yesterday. Going to do a test fit for the wheels today. When is spoke with Hartman they said I needed different lugs for their wheels. I ordered off eBay. Will I need different lugs???
Assuming your winter wheels are not the OE SQ5 winters, I will say that you will need new lugs.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In general if it's not OE then you will most likely need new lugs. My aftermarket winter wheels came with different lugs too.

This is actually a common problem which many people do not realize and can result in a wheel coming loose and flying off. Happened to my sister many years ago while she was driving, but luckily it was just at the end of our street and my dad walked down to jack up the car and re-tighten the lugs.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Or the lug bolts can be too long and hit and hurt the hub
Old 12-03-2013, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Parsec
In general if it's not OE then you will most likely need new lugs. My aftermarket winter wheels came with different lugs too.

This is actually a common problem which many people do not realize and can result in a wheel coming loose and flying off. Happened to my sister many years ago while she was driving, but luckily it was just at the end of our street and my dad walked down to jack up the car and re-tighten the lugs.
Oh great!!!! Way to boost my confidence in putting on my first set of winter wheels and tires. Lol. So what you guys are saying if I get the correct lugs nuts I should not have a issue?? I called Hartmann wheel and wanted to purchase a set of wheels from them but they were sold out and the only wheels they had required spacers. I wanted a wheel that would just bolt right up so that is why I went with a replica wheel on eBay. I called the seller out of California and they put me in contact with www.otisincla.com for the lug nuts. Waiting on a call back from them.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With aftermarket wheels, most are tapered whereas OEM are conical. Definitely don't want to mis-match those. Whenever I've gotten winter tire and wheel sets from Tire Rack etc they always came with appropriate lug bolts.

Torque wouldn't matter- you need to match lug bolt to wheel !!
Old 12-03-2013, 06:05 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by skl1
With aftermarket wheels, most are tapered whereas OEM are conical. Definitely don't want to mis-match those. Whenever I've gotten winter tire and wheel sets from Tire Rack etc they always came with appropriate lug bolts.

Torque wouldn't matter- you need to match lug bolt to wheel !!
Audi OE is ball seat many aftermarket are cone seat.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great information guys. I'm really glad JBD spoke with Hartmann before purchasing from eBay otherwise he might've lost a wheel and slid off a mountain in Colorado! Well, maybe not since he'd need to put some serious mileage without checking whether the lug became loose or not, but still a small chance. Very scary just thinking about it.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

To complicate things, I was initially told by Hartmann that SQ5 21" factory wheels use M14x1.5 ball seat R14 (ball seat radius is 14mm) lug bolts while all other Audis including regular Q5 use M14x1.5 ball seat R13 (13mm radius). I actually got conflicting info from Hartmann during a second phone call with a different rep, who told me that all Q5 including SQ5 use R14 while all other Audis use R13, but because they are all ball seat, the 1mm ball seat radius difference was negligible and I should be able to place sufficient torque and put them in service without doing damage to the wheel or fastener. Unconvinced, I called my dealer service advisor who the told me "all factory Audi wheels use the same ball seat lug bolts". LOL. I don't know who to believe.

I ended up just re-using the bolts that came from the factory for my 21" SQ5 wheels with the oem peelers (not replicas) that came off Mark P's TDI S-line. Still not sure if they're the right bolts or not, but I have checked the torque daily for the first week of driving and so far so good.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default Gotta say, these recent experiences don't seem like their finer moments...

This stuff is not rocket science, and a supplier really ought to know the (right) answers and have consistent information. I've bought my various H&R spacers from their Achtuning affiliate, so respect the business, and they do have some good replicas of the Audi designs. I suspect they may be confusing Q7 stuff and Q5's/SQ5's as well, but of course it is the Q7 that is the relative all oddity of all Audis wheel wise.

More generally, I hope the aftermarket guys start getting behind the Q5 more, in all its flavors, as a primary source of business (with related expertise) since it has passed the A4 sales wise.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Different lug nuts???