Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

A few questions about the Audi A6 2012 Prestige vs 2013 Prestige

Old 10-10-2013, 11:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few questions about the Audi A6 2012 Prestige vs 2013 Prestige

Hello Everyone,

I hope some of you could help me out with a few questions about the Audi A6 Prestige.

Since I cannot really afford a brand spanking new Audi A6 2014. I was thinking of getting a used 2012 possibly a used 2013. A used one is more in my range.

As far I as know the difference between the 2012 - 14 aren't that much in design but are slightly different in Technology.

The think I'm most concern about is the innovation package. Since I'm on the road a lot and I would love anything that would help me with the stress of driving through LA traffic.

In the Audi A6 2012 the Innovation package list adaptive cruise control, where as the 2013 list adaptive cruise control with Stop and Go. Is there really any difference? I was reading review on the 2012 and it seems to indicate that it can do stop and go. So I'm not sure what is the differences.

I know that the 2013 with Innovation package has Lane assist and the 2012 does not have it. Does anyone know if Lane assist could be added to the 2012? Someone in the A7 forum seems to indicated you can do it with the A7

And one last question what are the differences between the 2012, 2013 and 2014. In terms of technology.

I appreciate any one who can help me answer these questions.

Thanks
Old 10-11-2013, 12:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

There's almost zero difference between the two except for a few package options that were jiggered around. Stop/Start was only available beginning with the 2013 in the U.S. Other locations have had it for awhile. While the alternator is supposed to be a bit beefier, I frankly, I don't care for it and have it defeated full time via a button on the dash. I've read where an attempt to add Lane assist was discussed but the poster never completed the project as far as I could tell. I think this is one of those features that if you never had it you wouldn't miss it.

Do a search on the Innovation Package. Some love it and others find that some of the features are not well implemented and aren't used as a result i.e. the infrared display is not in the hud and requires looking down at the driver info display. Most like the 360 degree cameras though. I think the side assist (not lane assist) , available without Innovation in the Driver Assist package is the most useful feature.

In my experience, the biggest advantage I can see with a 2013 vs. a 2012 is the second year of a new design will generally have more of the kinks worked out but obviously, price of a one year newer car will also be a factor.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
There's almost zero difference between the two except for a few package options that were jiggered around. Stop/Start was only available beginning with the 2013 in the U.S. Other locations have had it for awhile. While the alternator is supposed to be a bit beefier, I frankly, I don't care for it and have it defeated full time via a button on the dash. I've read where an attempt to add Lane assist was discussed but the poster never completed the project as far as I could tell. I think this is one of those features that if you never had it you wouldn't miss it.

Do a search on the Innovation Package. Some love it and others find that some of the features are not well implemented and aren't used as a result i.e. the infrared display is not in the hud and requires looking down at the driver info display. Most like the 360 degree cameras though. I think the side assist (not lane assist) , available without Innovation in the Driver Assist package is the most useful feature.

In my experience, the biggest advantage I can see with a 2013 vs. a 2012 is the second year of a new design will generally have more of the kinks worked out but obviously, price of a one year newer car will also be a factor.

Thanks for the quick reply snagitseven, So what is different about the stop and go? That's what I'm confused about. I do long weekend drives nearly every weekend over 10 hours. I would love anything that would help me deal with the related stress of being in traffic. So i would heavily factor in cost if the stop and go is considerable better than the 2012. 360 is not so much of a need as the prefer to look over my shoulder.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

It's called "Stop/Start". Do a search - lots of discussion. Basically, under certain conditions (engine temp, inside temp, a/c load, etc), if engaged, it will turn off the engine when stopped and restart as you release the brake. Some like it, some do not. Some feel it saves a bit of fuel, others feel the amount is negligible and that it places additional wear on the starter over time (Audi claims it's rated for something like 50K starts). There is a very slight delay which can only be noticed if you're wanting to do a jack rabbit take off. It can be disengaged.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

You all this time I thought the adaptive cruise control with stop and go was something related to stopping and going in traffic. Where by the cruise can go to a complete stop then pick up and go once its cleared.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by totalfixation
You all this time I thought the adaptive cruise control with stop and go was something related to stopping and going in traffic. Where by the cruise can go to a complete stop then pick up and go once its cleared.
Stop/Start is as described by Snagit. Adaptive Cruise Control is very helpful when in heavy traffic - you set the desired max speed, set the distance between you and the vehicle in front of you, and the car does the rest. It takes some getting used to, but it does work quite well.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:46 AM
Banned

I had an A7 loaner last year which included adaptive cruise. I had cruise on while on the highway and the fog was getting heavy. Well, I was pleasantly surprised to find the car slowing down from 45mph when the radar found a semi in the fog before I could see it. It's worth the money.

Now, I'm not sure if the 2012 and 2013 have any differences, but I think you're wanting to know if the 2012 has the same stop and go in heavy traffic. I don't know. You'll have to test it.

This is how it works:
Old 10-11-2013, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

The 2012 with Adaptive Cruise (I have the Driver Assist package which includes both side assist and Adaptive Cruise Control) and actually will bring the car to a full stop, and then accelerate when the car in front of you pulls away.

ACC is probably my favorite feature on the car. On a long highway trip, it is a major stress reducer. I also like the side assist, but frankly don't depend on it. I still insist on looking every time. Its a nice system that adds a level of redundancy and safety to good driving habits.

The ability to bring the car to a stop is just a consequence of how the system works, and is nothing more than a novelty. I did it - once, with my foot hovered over the brake.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

Europe had ACC with stop & go since the initial introduction of the A6 C7 but my US spec 2012 A6 with ACC will not do stop & go on it's own. In Europe there is a 3 sec window where ACC would stop and then resume without driver interaction. My 2012 A6 will stop but then I have to press the gas pedal or pull the ACC stalk to resume if the speed really went down to zero. It will resume as long as the digital speed is not zero though. Not sure if this has changed in 2013.

Lane Assist is nice but may also the cause for a more notchy steering feeling. Posts indicate that owners with Lane Assist complain more often about that issue. Also, the steering unit (hardware) has been changed has been updated 4 times so far with the latest revision being used since 7/2013.

I don't care much about night vision (especially because it's not enabled by default) but I wouldn't by another car without HUD (even though it looks ugly when implemented as add on on top of the dashboard instead of being integrated it into the dashboard). It's a perfect setup where you can have the digital speed on the HUD (together with navigation and pedestrian warning), the mpg, phone or entertainment screen on the DIS and Google maps on the MMI.

LED headlights (IMHO a must for the A6) were part of the 2012 Prestige package but a standalone option beginning in 2013. Besides for the HUD and night vision, the 2013 Driver Assist package (ACC and Audi Side Assist) plus the LED headlight package almost completely replace the 2012 Prestige package.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AudiA4B6US
Europe had ACC with stop & go since the initial introduction of the A6 C7 but my US spec 2012 A6 with ACC will not do stop & go on it's own. In Europe there is a 3 sec window where ACC would stop and then resume without driver interaction. My 2012 A6 will stop but then I have to press the gas pedal or pull the ACC stalk to resume if the speed really went down to zero. It will resume as long as the digital speed is not zero though. Not sure if this has changed in 2013.
It could be that my memory is failing me... my wife thinks so anyway. Mine clearly stopped the car as I followed the car in front of me to a traffic light. I would swear mine resumed without me doing anything, although I was on a bit of a downhill incline so it is possible that when the car in front of me departed, I might have started to roll forward. Or maybe I did touch the gas? Suffice it to say that other than the novelty of doing it once I really didn't care, I don't trust the technology enough to have that be an everyday occurrence.

I think its interesting now that ACC is becoming a common feature - just saw a commercial for the new Mazda 6 touting the feature.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A few questions about the Audi A6 2012 Prestige vs 2013 Prestige